Solid State Disk

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2008
      This may not be sufficiently retro for this group, but I'm on the hunt
      for a Solid State Disk with a 50pin SCSI interface.

      I know they were made, but when they were made, were horribly expensive
      (like $2000), but now I'm hoping to find one in the used market that is
      a mere 2 gigs or so, and useless to anyone but someone like me.

      I'm working on a "upgrade" for the machine that runs my website
      (http://www.obsolyte.com), and figured that a solid state disk would be
      less prone to failure than a standard HD. Unfortunately, I'm also
      planning to still house my website in a "Sparc Lunchbox" form factor,
      which limits me to a 3.5 inch, 50pin scsi drive.

      Failing that, the other solution would be a crazy hack involving a
      flash-based thumbdrive, a USB to IDE converter, and then an IDE to SCSI
      converter (since I can't seem to find a USB to SCSI converter directly).

      Anyhow, thoughts, comments, and flames?

      ttyl
      Brian C.
    • John Allain
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 2008
        > hoping to find one in the used market that is a mere 2
        > gigs or so, and useless to anyone but someone like me.

        I like finding disk drives,
        and I have Never seen a solid state drive of Any Sort,
        except back at Wayne Zafft's place when Ian Pr1mus(tm)
        may possibly have got one.
        <ebay>***Wow Rare***!</ebay> True this time, rare.

        John A.
      • Stan Brewer
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 7, 2008
             DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation) use to make them.  If there is any interest, I'll post some photos from their catalogues.  Seems like they were in the 6 figure range.

          Stan

          John Allain wrote:

          > hoping to find one in the used market that is a mere 2
          > gigs or so, and useless to anyone but someone like me.

          I like finding disk drives,
          and I have Never seen a solid state drive of Any Sort,
          except back at Wayne Zafft's place when Ian Pr1mus(tm)
          may possibly have got one.
          <ebay>***Wow Rare***!</ebay> True this time, rare.

          John A.

        • jus10j
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 7, 2008
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Cirulnick"
            <techrat@...> wrote:

            > This may not be sufficiently retro for this group, but I'm on the
            hunt
            > for a Solid State Disk with a 50pin SCSI interface.
            >
            > I know they were made, but when they were made, were horribly
            expensive
            > (like $2000), but now I'm hoping to find one in the used market
            that is
            > a mere 2 gigs or so, and useless to anyone but someone like me.
            >
            > I'm working on a "upgrade" for the machine that runs my website
            > (http://www.obsolyte.com), and figured that a solid state disk
            would be
            > less prone to failure than a standard HD. Unfortunately, I'm also
            > planning to still house my website in a "Sparc Lunchbox" form
            factor,
            > which limits me to a 3.5 inch, 50pin scsi drive.
            >
            > Failing that, the other solution would be a crazy hack involving a
            > flash-based thumbdrive, a USB to IDE converter, and then an IDE to
            SCSI
            > converter (since I can't seem to find a USB to SCSI converter
            directly).

            > Anyhow, thoughts, comments, and flames?
            >
            > ttyl
            > Brian C.

            I am new to the group, I will have to allow myself to introduce
            myself later :-)...but I wanted to comment on your idea, as I am in
            the middle of a similar scenario re: a Commodore hard drive.

            There are similar hacks being performed for the aging line of CMD
            hard drives for the Commodore 64/128 computers. The recommendations
            I have seem are to use an Acard AEC7720U or an I-O Data IDSC21-E
            (SCSI to IDE bridge) and then use an IDE to Secure Digital adaptor. I
            have logged on to a telnet bbs running this very set up, the access
            speeds are great.
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 7, 2008
              >>> I am new to the group, I will have to allow myself to introduce myself
              later :-)...but I wanted to comment on your idea

              Welcome .... Please trim what you're replying to, so that it's easier to
              read.
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 8, 2008
                Brian,

                A 50-pin (narrow) SCSI SSD of any size will be a very rare bird. When narrow SCSI was the state of the art, a 2G drive was "pretty big" even for rotating media and RAM was... well, remember the RAM shortages in the 90's? Early SSDs were more likely in the 500M range or smaller, but using one for your swap partition could perk up your Sparc even if the SSD were "only" 100M. I do recall ads for SSDs that were RAM-based with battery backup to keep the data alive when the power failed. They were full height bricks of RAM chips made in very low volume because of the cost and so were sold only where very high performance was needed. As SCSI speeds improved with wide SCSI (68- and 80-pin) and RAID became popular, RAM-based drives fell off the radar. It would be very cool if you were to find one.

                The interesting thing is that SSDs are now making a "come back" in the form of flash drives in both laptops and servers. I just bought an ASUS EeePC-1000 with a 40G SSD (plus 10" screen and Atom processor). I've had it less than a week but so far battery life is great although performance is less than fabulous. I followed Vince Briel's example and blew off the Linux installation, replacing it with XP. I then upgraded to 2G RAM and run without a swap file (great idea Vince!) to save the flash.

                Jim

[...]

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to: