OT Humor

  • Stan Brewer
    Message 1 of 53 , Oct 6, 2008
      How did DEC Field Service Engineers change flat tires?

      They took the spare out and kept swapping out tires until they had 4 good ones on the car!  : )

                                   Stan

      O.K.  Flame me for the OT post.  I've got my asbestos suit on.

      Brian Cirulnick wrote:

      --- In midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups. com, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      But
      > it's funny how he is trying to sell this as a piece of history
      >
      > I don't think it's funny. Someone will buy this and pay extra because
      > they believe the seller. It's a vicious cycle.

      Reminds me of an old joke:

      "What's the difference between a car salesman and a computer salesman?"

      "The car salesman knows when he's lying."

      Let's face it. The number of people that seriously understand the true
      history of technology is appallingly small. As I said in a previous
      post, pop-culture history would have us believe that Bill Gates
      invented the PC, Henry Ford invented the automobile, Marconi invented
      Radio, and Edison the lightbulb.

      All of that is actually false, but, it's been repeated enough times to
      be accepted as fact. And as time goes on, it will be written in stone
      and you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who knows differently.

      This seller is ignorant, but he's probably repeating something that was
      told to him about this item, and so on and so on. Look at how Apple
      manipulated history because they kept repeating the company mantra
      during every interview for every book that covered the history of
      Silicon Valley.

      ttyl
      Brian C.

      Message 53 of 53 , Oct 12, 2008
        This is the dumbest argument EVER.

        Fairline: Herb takes history seriously. That's good. It doesn't mean the man lacks a funny bone.

        Herb: Not everyone takes history quite AS seriously as you or I. That's good, too.