Easy-ish computer history trivia

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 5, 2008
      Message

      These questions are not hard.  I got 10 out of 10 correct the first time.  I didn't know the answers to two of the questions but it was easy to get them correct by process of elimination.

      How many people took Bill Deg.'s quiz at VCF East?  If I recall correctly, three or four of us got 8 of 10.  Me, Bill, Herb, who else?

      Pretty funny that Bill only got an 80 on his own quiz!   :-)

      I have a copy of the 1996 "Official Computer Bowl Trivia Book" from (I think) the old Boston Computer Museum.  Chris Morgan, who wrote the book and who was an early editor of Byte, gave it to me when I used to live in Boston.  I'll bring it to our Dec. 6 gathering.
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 6, 2008
        On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Evan Koblentz wrote:

        > How many people took Bill Deg.'s quiz at VCF East? If I recall correctly,
        > three or four of us got 8 of 10. Me, Bill, Herb, who else?

        I believe I was the first to take Bill's quiz - I also got 8 out of 10.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 6, 2008
          > How many people took Bill Deg.'s quiz at VCF East? If I recall
          > correctly, three or four of us got 8 of 10. Me, Bill, Herb, who else?
          > Pretty funny that Bill only got an 80 on his own quiz! :-)

          I did *not* take the quiz, and considering I programmed it and therefore
          ran it many many times what would be the point? The quiz consisted of a
          few of the moderately easy questions from two of my tests for myCISC 367
          students.

          bill
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 6, 2008

            Evan Koblentz wrote:
            Message

            These questions are not hard.  I got 10 out of 10 correct the first time.  I didn't know the answers to two of the questions but it was easy to get them correct by process of elimination.
            Half of these questions are really trivia and doesn't test actual knowledge. Althouhg some is common knowledge, I personally don't find interest in who was the CEO of a company. Also, there's hardly any hardware questions on there.

            How many people took Bill Deg.'s quiz at VCF East?  If I recall correctly, three or four of us got 8 of 10.  Me, Bill, Herb, who else?
            and me !

            I say put some more hardware questions on there, less fluff - more stuff  :)

            =Dan

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 11, 2008
              Mike,

              I was the fourth 80%. I guessed on the hex question and could not believe I got the other one wrong. Oh well...

              Jim

              On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Evan Koblentz wrote:

              > How many people took Bill Deg.'s quiz at VCF East?  If I recall correctly,
              > three or four of us got 8 of 10.  Me, Bill, Herb, who else?

                  I believe I was the first to take Bill's quiz - I also got 8 out of 10.

              Mike Loewen                mloewen@...
              Old Technology    http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 11, 2008
                Jim Scheef wrote:
                > <!-- DIV {margin:0px;} -->
                > Mike,
                >
                > I was the fourth 80%. I guessed on the hex question and could not
                > believe I got the other one wrong. Oh well...
                >
                > Jim

                If anyone is interested in taking the "real" test I just gave my
                students on Thursday, let me know and I will send them a copy. It's a
                32-question multiple choice test similar to the quiz from VCF E, but a
                little harder/more detailed. The test is based on assigned readings,
                and class demos. The first test of the semester is a mix of pure
                people history and technical / how did they do it stuff covering
                1957-1977 IBM 650 through to the TRS 80 Model I/Apple II (but not the
                PET 2001). For more info, see vintagecomputer.net/CISC367/

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 11, 2008
                  Definitely send it to me! LOL, I haven't got any better offers tonight.

                  > I was the fourth 80%. I guessed on the hex question and could not
                  > believe I got the other one wrong. Oh well...
                  >
                  > Jim

                  If anyone is interested in taking the "real" test I just gave my
                  students on Thursday, let me know and I will send them a copy. It's a
                  32-question multiple choice test similar to the quiz from VCF E, but a
                  little harder/more detailed. The test is based on assigned readings,
                  and class demos. The first test of the semester is a mix of pure
                  people history and technical / how did they do it stuff covering
                  1957-1977 IBM 650 through to the TRS 80 Model I/Apple II (but not the
                  PET 2001). For more info, see vintagecomputer.net/CISC367/

                • Stan Brewer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 11, 2008
                    I'd like a copy too.

                                 Stan