Re: Intel MDS on EBay Item number: 170268336762

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 53 , Oct 5, 2008
      Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:
      > I have never seen one of these
      > Here is what the seller states:
      > Here is one of the oldest Microcomputers in
      > existance, a Intel MDS devepment system.
      > This unit is what Gary Kildall used to write CP/M.
      > (See last photo to see a picture of his office in the mid 70's that
      > includes an identical unit)
      > A quote from compwisdom web site

      Well. I'm familiar with the early history of CP/M. It's easy to use
      one phrase or a quote to enhance an eBay sale. The "quote from
      compwisdom web site" is actually a quote from Stan Veit's "PC history"
      article from his (memorial) Web site:

      Veit mashes up the earliest history of PL/M and CP/M in that
      description. Based on publications at the time, I know PL/M was first
      developed for the 8008, then migrated to the 8080; then pieces of
      other Kildall projects plus a PL/M file system "became" CP/M for the 8080.

      In my opinion, and I'm reasonably informed and can cite primary
      references, I believe that Gary Kildall first developed CP/M between
      about 1973 and just into 1975; and first ran it on a floppy drive only
      after the fall of 1974 but probably not long after that. That being
      the case, he could NOT have FIRST run it on a system like the one on eBay.

      The one on eBay has Intel Multibus cards. Intel did not produce
      Multibus cards until 1975. But Intel did produce Intellec systems
      using another bus architecture, which they never licensed out or
      named. Gary Kildall certainly had early Intel products, certainly had
      an Intellec 8008 system and an 8080 system. It is likely, therefore,
      that the FIRST 8080 system that "CP/M was written on" was an earlier
      non-Multibus Intellec 80 system, and not the Multibus-based system for
      sale on eBay.

      That said, Kildall certainly DID use later Intel development systems,
      and so he did "write CP/M on" them as well. Just not the first time.
      In fact, parts of what became CP/M were likely written by Kildall as
      early as 1973, as parts of other projects, using emulators and for the
      8008. (There was never an 8008 CP/M). For that matter, Kildall also
      "wrote CP/M on" the IMSAI 8080, as he personally did development for
      IMSAI for their CP/M V1.3 product, as his #3 licensee.

      I talk about all this a bit on this WEb site:

      Herb Johnson
      Message 53 of 53 , Oct 12, 2008
        This is the dumbest argument EVER.

        Fairline: Herb takes history seriously. That's good. It doesn't mean the man lacks a funny bone.

        Herb: Not everyone takes history quite AS seriously as you or I. That's good, too.