Intel MDS on EBay Item number: 170268336762

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 53 , Oct 5, 2008
      I have never seen one of these

      Here is what the seller states:

      Here is one of the oldest Microcomputers in existance, a Intel MDS devepment system.
      This unit is what Gary Kildall used to write CP/M.
      (See last photo to see a picture of his office in the mid 70's that includes an identical unit)
      A quote from compwisdom web site

      Kildall's task at Intel that year was to design and develop a language called PL/M for the 8080 chip,
      to be used as a systems development language. At the time, the chips themselves barely existed
      and Intel was just then starting to design a computer system that used the 8080. The plan was for
      Gary to use the 8080 emulator Intel had running on their big PDP-10 minicomputer, but he preferred
      to work directly on the 8080 itself, in part because by working on his own machine at home he could
      avoid the 50 mile drive to Intel to work every day. The only 8080-based computer Intel had available
      was called "Intellec-8", but it didn't have any software or disk storage attached to it. So Kildall obtained
      a used test floppy drive free from Shugart Associates, attached it to the Intellec-8 with a controller
      designed by his friend John Torode, and wrote a primitive operating system for it which he called CP/M

      I have no way of testing so I must sell as-is

      Message 53 of 53 , Oct 12, 2008
        This is the dumbest argument EVER.

        Fairline: Herb takes history seriously. That's good. It doesn't mean the man lacks a funny bone.

        Herb: Not everyone takes history quite AS seriously as you or I. That's good, too.