Re: OT w/ Disclaimer: Hobby Microcontrollers

  • Mike Willegal
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
      I use AVR's. The attiny2313, in particular, as it includes a UART,
      enough flash and I/O to handle most of what I need to do. I did have
      one project where I needed more I/O pins, but I simply split the
      project into two logical parts and connected the UARTs together in
      order to link the two parts. I could have easily gone to an AVR with
      more pins, but will be able to reuse one half of this project in the
      future. A serial interface is also handy to have available, if you
      need to send or receive data from a PC.

      The AVR instruction set, is easier to use, in my opinion, than the
      PICs and 8051s. Compiled C code will often not fit in a micro-
      controller's limited flash space, depending upon your application, so
      this is an important consideration. Atmel provides both in-circuit
      debugger capabilities and a simulator. Atmel's in-circuit debugger
      costs around $300. The simulator has allowed for me to debug most
      everything I've done, so I never purchased the interface for in-
      circuit debugging. The AVR software tools are free, so the cost of
      startup has been a flash programmer for around $29.00 and some AVR
      chips. The interface from the chip to the flash programmer is simple
      enough to slap together on a breadboard in a few minutes. There are
      plans on the web for building your own flash programmer, but I think
      that it is hardly worth the trouble.

      Regards,
      Mike Willegal
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
        >>> Regards, Mike Willegal

        Hi Mike. Are you new here? If so, please send a "hello world" message to our list to introduce yourself ... Background, location, how you found us, etc.

        Thanks,
        - Evan