Grant writing

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 22, 2005
      Hello everyone,

      The skill that will get the museum off to a great start... is not a logo...
      not officers... not even great computer collections. The skill we need most
      is GRANT WRITING! Does anyone have experience writing grant requests? Has
      anyone had success in obtaining a grant - from anywhere?

      We need to identify potiential donor organizations and learn how to convince
      them that they want to GIVE US MONEY! Over the next couple of years we're
      going to need (my SWAG estimate) $20,000+ in cash and materials.

      Some of the stuff we need:

      1 - display cases (glass covered book cases and closed retail display
      counters).
      2 - building materials (2x4's, plywood, paint, etc.) to construct larger
      displays plus railings to keep visitors out of the open display areas.
      3 - "tall cubical walls" to create room-dividers to separate display areas
      and to hold "words amd pictures" displays like time lines, etc.
      4 - tables and other stuff to create interactive exhibits.

      Note that none of this is computers or artifacts - the actual stuff to
      exhibit. When we get our building it will be like moving into a NEW HOUSE,
      there will be no furniture or any place to put a computer other than the
      floor. We need to assume that we will need to obtain AND PAY FOR everything.
      If we use this as our working assumption, we will not be disappointed by
      whatever we might get from InfoAge. Our planning must assume that we are
      starting from ZERO and that we need to provide everything from the walls in.

      This means that we need to get in a position where we can start raising funds
      - and a cookie sale is not going to cut it.

      I just spoke with Fred Carl the director of InfoAge and beyond the building
      and the existing collection, he has very little to offer us. The antique
      radio club has been able to obtain some display cases "from businesses in the
      area". I'm not sure what that means exactly but I assume it means old office
      furniture that was being discarded.

      Also, the display furniture can not look like shit. If we expect people to
      pay money to see our exhibits, the place must look professional. If the
      displays look like junk, then the school kids will treat it like junk. All
      dislays must be durable and look good.

      Any ideas?

      Jim
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 22, 2005
        I certainly agree that we have to make it look presentable, but I'm not sure if I expect to ask anyone for an admission fee.  Either way, "presentable" costs money.

        VCF definitely has money-making potential.

        We could also have some kind of "charter member" system -- people / families / organizations donate X dollars and in exchange we include their name on a plaque or wall or something.

        We could also contact the largest computer companies and clubs in the region.  For example, here in NJ, there is Lucent and Vonage.  There's the ACGNJ (which was a TCF sponsor), and there is the IEEE History Center (based at Rutgers) -- they already work with InfoAge but maybe this could get them to do more.  Also, colleges like Rutgers Engineering, NJIT, and Stevens Institute might help out.

        I have no grant writing experience, but I do write non-fiction for a living, so perhaps I'll pick up a copy of "Grant Writing for Dummies" and get started.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 23, 2005
          My wife has grant-writing experience with the state of
          New Jersey. She has been quite successful at it. If it
          would help I can consult her for advice...

          -Dave

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 24, 2005
            David,

            We need help with everything! Perhaps you could get copies of a couple of her
            proposals so we can use them as them as a guide.

            Jim