Re: museum name

  • ahm
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 22, 2005
      On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 04:15:19PM -0400, Evan wrote:
      > I think the concensus (consensus? never could spell that?... er, the
      > agreement :) seems to be that MARCH Computer Museum @ InfoAge is best...

      (consensus, from the Latin _consentire_)

      I'd like the record to show that I am "not thrilled with 'MCMI'".

      Of course the right thing to do would be to come up with
      a half-dozen or so final suggestions and then take a vote.

      Andy
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 22, 2005
        What's your suggestion for a name?

        My logic is that our name must express some basic things: whose museum it is, what kind of museum it is, and where it is (I don't want to short-change our host).  That is why "MARCH Computer Museum @ InfoAge" makes sense to me; it seems as stripped-down as possible while making its point.

        Or, we could drop the MARCH part and go with Mid-Atlantic instead.  (I think it would imply too much narrowness if we use "Wall" or "Jersey Shore" or something similar, but would be too general if we don't give a location term at all.)

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 22, 2005
          Evan,

          Locational narrowness is actually great. It tells people exactly where we are
          so when they tell their friends, their friends can find us, too. When you add
          us to your list of computer museums, the name should tell people exactly
          where we are without searching for more info. Jersey Shore woule be fine.
          Where is mid-atlantic? If we want to be Mecca, people need to know which way
          to bow.

          Jim

          --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

          > What's your suggestion for a name?
          >
          > My logic is that our name must express some basic things: whose museum it
          > is, what kind of museum it is, and where it is (I don't want to
          > short-change
          > our host). That is why "MARCH Computer Museum @ InfoAge" makes sense to
          > me;
          > it seems as stripped-down as possible while making its point.
          >
          > Or, we could drop the MARCH part and go with Mid-Atlantic instead. (I
          > think
          > it would imply too much narrowness if we use "Wall" or "Jersey Shore" or
          > something similar, but would be too general if we don't give a location
          > term
          > at all.)
          >
          > _____

          =30th+anniversary&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Swap+meet&c=5
          > &s=105&.sig=QM0hvMZiYa-7CzLVaYw-uQ> computer 30th

          =30th+anniversary&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Swap+meet&c=5
          > &s=105&.sig=jQj2GkQMOlbp-6FXRaJpTg> anniversary Computer

          2=30th+anniversary&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Swap+meet&c=
          > 5&s=105&.sig=VKVygTWn4FQhiwaamoNSYw> security
          > Computer

          2=30th+anniversary&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Swap+meet&c=
          > 5&s=105&.sig=_hsA8xQt79XjZhXDT8M5vw> training Swap

          nniversary&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Swap+meet&c=5&s=105&
          > .sig=K3w9vecEjetUoFaqdQe3DA> meet
          >
          > _____
          >
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >

          > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          >

          > _____

        • Evan
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 22, 2005
            This looks interesting too: http://www.njtc.org/capital/capital.asp

            --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

            > What's your suggestion for a
            name?

            > My logic is that our name must express some basic
            things: whose museum it
            > is, what kind of museum it is, and where it is
            (I don't want to
            > short-change
            > our host).  That is why
            "MARCH Computer Museum @ InfoAge" makes sense to
            > me;
            > it seems as
            stripped-down as possible while making its point.

            > Or, we
            could drop the MARCH part and go with Mid-Atlantic instead.  (I

            think
            > it would imply too much narrowness if we use "Wall" or "Jersey
            Shore" or
            > something similar, but would be too general if we don't give a
            location
            > term
            > at all.)
            >
            >   _____

            of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
            > <
            >

            >   _____

          • Evan
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 22, 2005
              Hmm... what do you guys think out there in member-land?  Would people in Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, etc. object if we name this thing the "New Jersey Computer Museum"...?

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 22, 2005
                Evan,

                This is more what I had in mind http://www.fordfound.org/

                I'd feel better if you wrote fiction which I imagine is pretty close to
                writing grant proposals.

                Jim

              • Dan
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 22, 2005
                  Hi Evan,

                  Just thought I give some insight. There isn't any rule in naming an
                  entity, it's mostly on what makes you feel good about it. Locale is
                  usually the first thing what makes someone feel good to include in their
                  name. It's the pride and prestige of creating an establishment in your
                  hometown(or state). Take a look at how many organizations there begin
                  with New Jersey. Since the museum will be located in an existing
                  establishment, you might still have to consider including 'Infoage'
                  somewhere in the name. As they are the major benefactor in your
                  endeavor, namely, they got the space man. Also, you might want to first
                  present the name options to the board members of Infoage to gauge their
                  opinion. All of you can spend time voting on something but you might
                  just get shot down if the Board feels the name doesn't present a good
                  image of their establishment.

                  hope that helps,
                  Dan

                • David Gesswein
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 23, 2005
                    > Hmm... what do you guys think out there in member-land? Would people in
                    > Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, etc. object if we
                    > name this thing the "New Jersey Computer Museum"...?

                    I think it is probably ok. You might get some confusion of is it a
                    museum of NJ computers or a museum located in NJ. I suspect that most
                    people will consider it a location.
                  • John Allain
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 23, 2005
                      > Of course the right thing to do would be to come up with
                      > a half-dozen or so final suggestions and then take a vote.

                      Did anyone add to the list 'The infoAge Computer Museum' yet?

                      Another simple to explain name -- I have yet to visit there
                      but even without going the infoAge name has a perfectly
                      appropriate perception about it... The Age of Information.
                      It actually associates in the mind better with computers
                      (Information Technology) than with radio (communication).

                      John A.