New logo ideas

  • relayer
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 22, 2005
      I created a "MARCH Logo Ideas" folder in files. I put up two more
      ideas that I was working on. Feedback and ideas greatly welcomed.
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 22, 2005
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 22, 2005
          Relay,

          I like both the paper tape and green bar - clever! These might be difficult
          to integrate into the design of a web page or an outdoor sign.

          MARCH is an acronym so all letters should be caps. Creating a MARCH logo is
          nice, but what we need is a name and logo for the museum.

          Names:
          Computer History Museum
          Vintage Computer Museum (Since no one can define vintage ot retro I think we
          should avoid both words.)
          Computer Museum of Wall Township
          Camp Evans Computer Museum

          It would be nice if the first word was computer so it would sort nicely in
          even the simplest of indices.

          Take a look at the DACS logo (http://dacs.org/) for a logo idea that does not
          try to look like anything, much less a computer but still looks "techy".

          Jim

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 22, 2005
            >>> Computer History Museum

            That one is taken, it's the largest computer museum in the country!

            I think the concensus (consensus? never could spell that?... er, the agreement :) seems to be that MARCH Computer Museum @ InfoAge is best... certainly not because I thought of it, but because the whole 1901 thing is funny and geeky.

            Excellent point about the all-caps!

            --- relayer <relayer@...> wrote:

            > I created a "MARCH Logo Ideas" folder in files. I put up two
            more
            > ideas that I was working on. Feedback and ideas greatly
            welcomed.

          • relayer
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 22, 2005
              Both would probably integrate into a web page, but I believe the green
              bar would not transfer to an outdoor sign as well. It can be done.
              It's amazing what they do with vinyl stick-on signs these days, like
              the ones that get printed for business vehicles, printed and cut by a
              computer.

              The paper tape is easy for the budget conscience sign maker. Get a
              large strip of lexan (2x6 feet maybe), paint it the yellow color, get
              a bunch of pre-cut vinyl round stick-ons, a good eye for a straight
              line, and with a little patience you'll have a sign. Then again,
              single color vinyl computer cut stick-on signs will work also.

              I replaced the samples with all caps versions.

              Jeff

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 22, 2005
                >>> It's amazing what they do with vinyl stick-on signs these days

                True!  If we just have a thin, subltle black outline around it, that would create a contrast.

                Anyway, the logistics of obtaining a sign are WAY in the future, like next spring.  :)

                Both would probably integrate into a web page, but I believe the green
                bar would not transfer to an outdoor sign as well. It can be done.
                It's amazing what they do with vinyl stick-on signs these days, like
                the ones that get printed for business vehicles, printed and cut by a
                computer.

                The paper tape is easy for the budget conscience sign maker. Get a
                large strip of lexan (2x6 feet maybe), paint it the yellow color, get
                a bunch of pre-cut vinyl round stick-ons, a good eye for a straight
                line, and with a little patience you'll have a sign. Then again,
                single color vinyl computer cut stick-on signs will work also.

                I replaced the samples with all caps versions.

                Jeff

                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Jim Scheef <jscheef@y...> wrote:
                > I like both the paper tape and green bar -
                clever! These might be
                difficult
                > to integrate into the design of a
                web page or an outdoor sign.

              • john_apw
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 23, 2005
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "relayer" <relayer@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > I created a "MARCH Logo Ideas" folder in files. I put up two more
                  > ideas that I was working on. Feedback and ideas greatly welcomed.

                  Hi,

                  As a new member to the group, I offer my comments in the spirit of
                  constructive observation. Please don't take my comments as being
                  negative about your work; I understand and appreciate the efforts
                  that you are putting into the logos.

                  I think the "hollow-letter" logo with the computer images "inside"
                  is clever, but I have two difficulties:

                  1. I find it hard to recognize the lowercase letters (like "a"),
                  since the trailing serifs are in such contrast to the body of the
                  character. I don't know if this is due to the contrast of the colors
                  or that my mind sees a hard drive platter and therefore doesn't see
                  anything other than the circular area, but I found it was not easy
                  for me to grasp the letters on first reading.

                  2. The "fillings" are very different in what they show: computer
                  panels to paper tape. The range of content doesn't say anything
                  clear to me - what I get is a jumbled concept. I think your idea is
                  clever, but I think all the contents should be of computer face
                  panels in order to get the message across with "consistency".
                  Otherwise, to me, I get that the focus is on all kinds of stuff,
                  rather than on computers. Yes, we collect all kinds of stuff, but
                  should the logo present everything, or the simple concept of old
                  computers? I think that the simpler it is, the more recognizable and
                  understandable it will be.

                  I like the simple logos of MCMI. The greenbar background is clever
                  and simple, and I like it. (I didn't connect with the red "swoosh"
                  lines - what do they represent?)
                  Where is that typeface from? I keep having this feeling that I've
                  seen it before, but I just can't place it...

                  --------------
                  To my way of thinking (which I do not expect anyone else to agree
                  with!), a logo should express something about the org (or its
                  purpose or character, etc), and should communicate just that one
                  concept easily to people who are outside that organization.

                  At this point, I don't think we are all in agreement about what we
                  want to express about MARCH: what the name means, that we collect
                  computers, that we collect all kinds of old technology stuff, that
                  we are a fun-loving group of nerds, geeks, and hackers, or that we
                  whatever else, etc, etc, etc...

                  So maybe that is a point to consider before going too far? What
                  exactly do we want the logo to say about MARCH?

                  I hope this is helpful (if not tell me why, and I'll do better next
                  time...)

                  -John