Re: [midatlanticretro] Flexowriter

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 22, 2008
      -------- Original Message --------
      > From: Stan Brewer <brewers@...>
      > Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 4:29 PM
      > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Flexowriter
      >
      > South Carolina. Center of the state.
      >
      > Bill Degnan wrote:
      >
      > > Where are you?

      I was just down there when I picked up a PDP 11/40 from A. Carder, the Wofford Witch sysop (woffordwitch.com). You must know him, yes?

      Bill
    • Stan Brewer
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 22, 2008
        No I don't know him.  But I do know almost every one in central S.C. who works for DEC. Be it the old DEC, Compaq or HP.   During my (Computer) Career I worked for Interlake, SONOCO, Amana, International Paper, Wellman, Pelton & Crane, and the VA.  So where did you have to come from?

                                                                               Stan

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 22, 2008
          Bryan Pope wrote:
          > P.S. Oh the pain! Why were the older computers made of the heaviest
          > elements known to mankind?!

          It's not just older computers. I have an IBM p610-6c1 which is only 2-3
          cubic feet, but weighs a shit-ton.

          Peace... Sridhar
        • Brian Cirulnick
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 23, 2008
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...>
            wrote:

            > P.S. Oh the pain! Why were the older computers made of the heaviest
            > elements known to mankind?!

            -----------------

            Yeah, I wonder about that too. Why does my Sun 3/160 have a metal case
            that uses thicker steel than a 1955 Buick?

            Were early computers built to military specs to be dropped out of
            airplanes and survive the crash? Or were they built to military specs
            to be dropped out of airplanes and be used as weapons?

            The only thing I can figure (given the fact that modern servers are
            heavy as well), is that computer manufacturers are in collusion with
            data-center floor contractors.

            ttyl
            Brian C.