Re: [midatlanticretro] New E-bay?

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
      Stan Brewer <brewers@...> wrote :

      > I liked E-Bay, and even used PayPal, until PayPal started requiring
      > access to my Checking AND Savings accounts.
      > That's when I said no more PayPal, and used either checks or US Postal
      > Service Money Orders.

      Huh? I don't have any savings account info attached to my Paypal account. Did I miss something?

      Bob

      ___________________________________
      NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
    • Stan Brewer
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
        So who will be the new E-bay?
        After October 1st E-bay will be forcing all sellers and buyers to use
        their PayPal or credit cards for payments.

        I liked E-Bay, and even used PayPal, until PayPal started requiring
        access to my Checking AND Savings accounts.
        That's when I said no more PayPal, and used either checks or US Postal
        Service Money Orders.

        Well E-bay is not happy with all the money they make on each sell that's
        made on their system, now they want money on all the money that's
        exchanged too!

        So it's no more E-bay for me.
        I'm looking for an online trading company that will use credit cards,
        checks, money orders and not demand access to my Checking and Savings
        accounts.

        Stan
      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
          I may add that we should keep discussions on this board to that which involves the history of computers, vintage computer repairs, vintage software, events within our group, VCF E, Info Age gatherings, etc. For the past month I have watched this board turn into a chat room that has little to do with actual projects. Is anyone actually working on a vintage computer project or are we just killing cats, fixing cars?
          Bill

          > > I liked E-Bay, and even used PayPal, until PayPal started requiring
          > > access to my Checking AND Savings accounts.
          > > That's when I said no more PayPal, and used either checks or US Postal
          > > Service Money Orders.
          >
          > Huh? I don't have any savings account info attached to my Paypal account. Did I miss something?
          >
          > Bob

        • Ray Sills
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
            Hi Stan:

            Good points. There's always Craig's list, I suppose. But, that's
            for local sales.

            Personally, I haven't done very much buying or selling on ebay, but I
            have used it. My biggest beef with ebay was
            when I sold an item, and the buyer was using a PayPal account linked
            to a credit card, that they were going to
            charge me for the service. Sure, I know businesses work that way..
            and that's why some gas stations have cheaper
            gas if you pay cash. But, they are up front about that.

            And, it turned out, if (as part of an ebay sale), I permitted PayPal
            for payment, I -could not- specify that I wanted
            a "funded" PayPal account (from which of course, there would be no
            charge, since it was just like cash. I certainly
            did not mind paying ebay a fee for facilitating the sale (it is a
            service, after all), but I resented paying additional money
            just because the buyer happened to link to a credit card. I
            contacted the buyer, who fully understood, and he offered
            to pay with a funded account, and that settled that. But, I haven't
            sold anything on ebay since then. Not likely too, either.

            That said... I do like PayPal... (even though it's part of the same
            conglomerate)... to facilitate making modest payments,
            mainly for small deal purchases from other ham radio operators. I
            use a funded PayPal account, with a modest balance.
            If I need more for some reason, I transfer funds in. So, for that
            reason, I link PayPal to a checking account. But, it is
            not like they have access to it. I have to initiate the transfer,
            it's not up to PayPal. And, of course, I never send more
            money than what I have in PayPal.

            Today's checking accounts are almost universally free.. and you can
            find banks that have zero or minimal balance requirements,
            and no fees, so it's possible to use an account like that as the
            PayPal funding source, to keep the funding separate from
            the regular household checking account.

            Anyway, I guess there might be a business opportunity for someone to
            start a new ebay. After all, ebay made zillions for it's
            founders. Perhaps the problem is that ebay is just too big to manage
            easily, and they feel they need more cash in the system,
            so that's why they are changing procedures on Oct. 1.

            73 de Ray

            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
              >>> For the past month I have watched this board turn into a chat room
              that has little to do with actual projects

              I think it's just some post-show (VCF, HOPE, Trenton) amusement. At least
              that's how I meant ti.

              >>> or are we just killing cats, fixing cars?

              I like to kill cats WITH my car.
            • Stan Brewer
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
                Since many of us buy and sell vintage computers on E-bay, I thought it might be of some interest to others.  At least as much interest as your discussion on "Lock Picking".  ; )

                                                   Stan

                Bill Degnan wrote:

                I may add that we should keep discussions on this board to that which involves the history of computers, vintage computer repairs, vintage software, events within our group, VCF E, Info Age gatherings, etc. For the past month I have watched this board turn into a chat room that has little to do with actual projects. Is anyone actually working on a vintage computer project or are we just killing cats, fixing cars?
                Bill

                > > I liked E-Bay, and even used PayPal, until PayPal started requiring
                > > access to my Checking AND Savings accounts.
                > > That's when I said no more PayPal, and used either checks or US Postal
                > > Service Money Orders.
                >
                > Huh? I don't have any savings account info attached to my Paypal account. Did I miss something?
                >
                > Bob

              • Bill Degnan
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
                  Stan,
                  please tell us a little about the items you sell...
                  bd

                  > Since many of us buy and sell vintage computers on E-bay, I thought it
                  > might be of some interest to others. At least as much interest as your
                  > discussion on "Lock Picking". ; )
                  >
                  > Stan
                  >
                  > Bill Degnan wrote:
                  >
                  > > I may add that we should keep discussions on this board to that which
                  > > involves the history of computers, vintage computer repairs, vintage
                  > > software, events within our group, VCF E, Info Age gatherings, etc.
                  > > For the past month I have watched this board turn into a chat room
                  > > that has little to do with actual projects. Is anyone actually working
                  > > on a vintage computer project or are we just killing cats, fixing cars?
                  > > Bill

                • Bryan Pope
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
                    Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    >>> or are we just killing cats, fixing cars?
                    >>>

                    > I like to kill cats WITH my car.

                    Wow. That is a *really* bad attempt at a joke.. Especially since last
                    year I tried to save a cat that someone had just hit with their car.
                    Unfortunately the poor thing had to be put to sleep since he had
                    suffered too much damage. Even though the cat was was so hurt, he was
                    purring a bit in the car ride to the vet.

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan
                  • Stan Brewer
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
                      Let's see. I've sold a Micro Vax 4300 a lot of early InterMec barcode equipment.  I intended to sell a Micro Vax II in a BA-23 case before they attempted to FORCE me to use Paypal as a form of payment.
                      I've bought vintage computer and TV equipment too, including a Ratheon 12inc PortHole TV.
                      I've bought a Flex-o-writer as well as a Flex-o-writer repair kit and repair manual all to repair the Flex-o-writer that was previously owned by the RESISTORS.  Anything special you are looking for?

                                                                    Stan

                      Bill Degnan wrote:

                      Stan,
                      please tell us a little about the items you sell...
                      bd

                      > Since many of us buy and sell vintage computers on E-bay, I thought it
                      > might be of some interest to others. At least as much interest as your
                      > discussion on "Lock Picking". ; )
                      >
                      > Stan
                      >
                      > Bill Degnan wrote:
                      >
                      > > I may add that we should keep discussions on this board to that which
                      > > involves the history of computers, vintage computer repairs, vintage
                      > > software, events within our group, VCF E, Info Age gatherings, etc.
                      > > For the past month I have watched this board turn into a chat room
                      > > that has little to do with actual projects. Is anyone actually working
                      > > on a vintage computer project or are we just killing cats, fixing cars?
                      > > Bill

                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
                        On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Bill Degnan wrote:

                        > Is anyone actually working on a vintage computer project or are we just
                        > killing cats, fixing cars?

                        I ended up with MARCH's fire-sale TI-99/4A and Peripherial Expansion
                        Box, but no power supply. I sent out a note on the local Freecycle list,
                        on the off chance that someone had a spare power pack, and received an
                        offer of ANOTHER 99/4A and PEB. I couldn't turn that down, but when I got
                        it home, it didn't have a power supply either! However, I found Hosfelt
                        Electronics in Ohio (with whom I've dealt before) selling them for $1.75 a
                        piece: I ordered 4.

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • Bill Degnan
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008

                          > > Is anyone actually working on a vintage computer project or are we just
                          > > killing cats, fixing cars?
                          >
                          > I ended up with MARCH's fire-sale TI-99/4A and Peripherial Expansion
                          > Box, but no power supply. I sent out a note on the local Freecycle list,
                          > on the off chance that someone had a spare power pack, and received an
                          > offer of ANOTHER 99/4A and PEB. I couldn't turn that down, but when I got
                          > it home, it didn't have a power supply either! However, I found Hosfelt
                          > Electronics in Ohio (with whom I've dealt before) selling them for $1.75 a
                          > piece: I ordered 4.

                          The power supplies get very hot, and they go bad a lot. Getting 4 is good, you'll go through them like light bulbs. I have a few decked-out Expansion Unit systems. If you're into TI's that's the way to go. Diskette drive storage on a TI 99 makes it such a better system. They have those wonderful graphics for a 1979 computer. I have not set my system up in a year or more, maybe I will take it out and make sure it's all in working order.
                          Bill
                        • Mike Loewen
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
                            On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Bill Degnan wrote:

                            >> it home, it didn't have a power supply either! However, I found Hosfelt
                            >> Electronics in Ohio (with whom I've dealt before) selling them for $1.75 a
                            >> piece: I ordered 4.
                            >>

                            > The power supplies get very hot, and they go bad a lot. Getting 4 is
                            > good, you'll go through them like light bulbs. I have a few decked-out
                            > Expansion Unit systems. If you're into TI's that's the way to go.
                            > Diskette drive storage on a TI 99 makes it such a better system. They
                            > have those wonderful graphics for a 1979 computer. I have not set my
                            > system up in a year or more, maybe I will take it out and make sure it's
                            > all in working order. Bill

                            That's odd - from what I can see they just put out 18VAC and 8VAC
                            (maybe only 18 on the beige models). Must be a bad design.

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          • fairlanefastback
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
                              Thats good to know. I bought a TI 99/4a as well at VCF with no
                              power supply. I thought the machine with the expansion chasis for
                              sale was a TI 994 though, not a 4a?

                              I hope to play Tunnels of Doom on the machine once I get it going.

                              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...>
                              wrote:

                              > I ended up with MARCH's fire-sale TI-99/4A and Peripherial
                              Expansion
                              > Box, but no power supply. I sent out a note on the local
                              Freecycle list,
                              > on the off chance that someone had a spare power pack, and
                              received an
                              > offer of ANOTHER 99/4A and PEB. I couldn't turn that down, but
                              when I got
                              > it home, it didn't have a power supply either! However, I found
                              Hosfelt
                              > Electronics in Ohio (with whom I've dealt before) selling them for
                              $1.75 a
                              > piece: I ordered 4.

                            • Mike Loewen
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
                                On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, fairlanefastback wrote:

                                > Thats good to know. I bought a TI 99/4a as well at VCF with no
                                > power supply. I thought the machine with the expansion chasis for
                                > sale was a TI 994 though, not a 4a?

                                The one I got (with the expansion box) was a beige 4A, which is
                                described as the "cost-reduced" version: all-plastic case and cheaper to
                                manufacture.

                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                              • fairlanefastback
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
                                  Not to start any trouble here but since the moderator is creating many
                                  of these threads and participating in other threads that are OT its
                                  probably not the place of any of us members to tell other members what
                                  is ok to post and what is not. I think you are right in many ways but
                                  its probably best to take that up with group moderators off-line in
                                  private email. If Evan can make cat and scientist threads that have
                                  nothing to do with anything for us I think thats making you maybe a
                                  little sensitive to this ebay post? Its not a far stretch by any
                                  means IMHO for this to be topical to us since so much equipment
                                  accessibility is through ebay. Honestly I think if this is OT its by
                                  a mere shade compared to Evan's OT posts. And its his Yahoo! group,
                                  so if he wants to run with that being ok we probably should take up
                                  any complaints with him directly, or at least with the other moderator
                                  for the board. Just my opinion!

                                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > I may add that we should keep discussions on this board to that
                                  >which involves the history of computers, vintage computer repairs,
                                  >vintage software, events within our group, VCF E, Info Age
                                  >gatherings, etc. For the past month I have watched this board turn
                                  >into a chat room that has little to do with actual projects. Is
                                  >anyone actually working on a vintage computer project or are we just
                                  >killing cats, fixing cars?
                                  > Bill
                                • Timothy J Fagan
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
                                    I hereby officially request that our feline friends (or enemies) no longer be EVER discussed on this mail-list for ANY reason!

                                    Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 12:40 PM
                                    Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] New E-bay?

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
                                      Huh...? I just got a PEB, and I'm pretty sure it just plugged in with a standard PC power cord (the kind that kind of looks like a smooshed home-plate with three vertical slits. I guess I could be mistaken, but I thought that's what mine had, and it's working fine.

                                      Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 2:58 PM

                                      On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Bill Degnan wrote:

                                      > Is anyone actually working on a vintage computer project or are we just
                                      > killing cats, fixing cars?

                                      I ended up with MARCH's fire-sale TI-99/4A and Peripherial Expansion
                                      Box, but no power supply. I sent out a note on the local Freecycle list,
                                      on the off chance that someone had a spare power pack, and received an
                                      offer of ANOTHER 99/4A and PEB. I couldn't turn that down, but when I got
                                      it home, it didn't have a power supply either! However, I found Hosfelt
                                      Electronics in Ohio (with whom I've dealt before) selling them for $1.75 a
                                      piece: I ordered 4.

                                      Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic. scol.pa.us
                                      Old Technology http://sturgeon. css.psu.edu/ ~mloewen/ Oldtech/

                                    • Mike Loewen
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
                                        On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Timothy J Fagan wrote:

                                        > Huh...? I just got a PEB, and I'm pretty sure it just plugged in with a
                                        > standard PC power cord (the kind that kind of looks like a smooshed
                                        > home-plate with three vertical slits. I guess I could be mistaken, but I
                                        > thought that's what mine had, and it's working fine.

                                        I was talking about the console power supply module. Yes, the PEB
                                        takes a standard power cord.

                                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                      • fairlanefastback
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
                                          Fat chance buddy!

                                          Anyone play this ever?:

                                          http://tinyurl.com/4cvevl

                                          (Alley Cat - The Video Game)

                                          Ha! Now its NOT off-topic! ;p

                                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy J Fagan"

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
                                            Fairlane wrote:

                                            >>> If Evan can make cat and scientist threads that have nothing to do with
                                            anything for us I think thats making you maybe a little sensitive to this
                                            ebay post? Its not a far stretch by any means IMHO for this to be topical
                                            to us since so much equipment accessibility is through ebay.

                                            I agree. :)

                                            >>> And its his Yahoo! Group

                                            WHOOOOAAAA. That isn't true. I do not "own" the group or the club. MARCH
                                            = Mid-Atlantic Retro Computing Hobbyists, Inc., which is a registered
                                            not-for-profit in the State of New Jersey. Myself and Jim Scheef are (by
                                            Yahoo's definition) the group "owners" and moderators. However we perform
                                            as little moderation as possible because we believe this is YOUR group, not
                                            ours. Basically we just welcome/approve new members, ban any spammers that
                                            try to enter here, and take action if anyone does something really stupid.

                                            More-or-less distinct from the Yahoo group are the offline actions of MARCH,
                                            which are collectively decided by six people:
                                            - Co-founder / Prez-by-default: Me (Evan Koblentz)
                                            - Co-founder / VP-by-default: Andy Meyer
                                            - Other VP: Bill Degnan
                                            - Treasurer: Jim Scheef
                                            - Officers-at-large: John Allain, Bryan Pope

                                            Personally, I do my best to use good judgment when making group-wide
                                            decisions. If it's day-to-day things, then I just make a decision and move
                                            on. If it's something more consequential, then I consult the other
                                            officers. If it's something drastic, then we bring it to the full list. I
                                            can recall just ONE time in almost four years that we ever had a formal vote
                                            among the officers, and that was a unanimous decision to ban somebody.

                                            Most of the time, we just motor along, and Andy / Bill / Jim / John / Bryan
                                            / etc. point out when I do anything bone-headed. Meanwhile our bank account
                                            keeps growing, we keep churning out fun and successful exhibits at computer
                                            shows, our own show just wrapped up a successful third round (the first two
                                            VCF East shows weren't ours), we keep getting new members, and the museum is
                                            up and running.

                                            So in answer to the unasked question, "Are we having fun yet?", I believe
                                            the answer is a resounding "Yes!".

                                            Unless you happen to be a cat. MUUUAAAHHHHHAAAA
                                          • Timothy J Fagan
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
                                              Oh - sorry. I is a moron. Smile emoticon

                                              Nothing to see here - carry on...

                                              Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 6:32 PM

                                              On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Timothy J Fagan wrote:

                                              > Huh...? I just got a PEB, and I'm pretty sure it just plugged in with a
                                              > standard PC power cord (the kind that kind of looks like a smooshed
                                              > home-plate with three vertical slits. I guess I could be mistaken, but I
                                              > thought that's what mine had, and it's working fine.

                                              I was talking about the console power supply module. Yes, the PEB
                                              takes a standard power cord.

                                              Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic. scol.pa.us
                                              Old Technology http://sturgeon. css.psu.edu/ ~mloewen/ Oldtech/

                                            • Sridhar Ayengar
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
                                                Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                                > that has little to do with actual projects
                                                >
                                                > I think it's just some post-show (VCF, HOPE, Trenton) amusement. At least
                                                > that's how I meant ti.

                                                > I like to kill cats WITH my car.

                                                Your car is small enough that if it were to collide with a cat, it would
                                                lose.

                                                Peace... Sridhar
                                              • Stan Brewer
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
                                                    As soon as we sell our second house, I'm going to buy a 69 Cougar.  It sure would make a mess out of a Miata!  : )
                                                     When I was a kid on Okinawa (in 1971), we were waiting on the school bus one morning and saw an Okinawan man "walking" his dog.  The dog was a large German Shepherd, and the man was driving a very small Japanese car, holding the dogs leash as it ran beside the car!

                                                                                                        Stan

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Sep 22, 2008
                                                    Stan Brewer wrote:
                                                    > As soon as we sell our second house, I'm going to buy a 69 Cougar. It
                                                    > sure would make a mess out of a Miata! : )

                                                    I have a '66 Buick Electra 225 convertible. A Miata could get stuck in
                                                    its radiator grille. 8-)

                                                    Peace... Sridhar
                                                  • Christian Liendo
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Apr 10 2:29 PM
                                                      Since we are off topic,   we can talk about how as a youth I worked in a Animal Hospital and saw a cat die from a BB Gun and was traumatized and wanted to get back at the person that killed the cat..

                                                      Oh yea did i forget to mention that I am a reservist in the military and was trained in the use of firearms?

                                                      Oh back to the traumatization, my doctor says I am better as long as I dont listen to the voices. :D

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Apr 10 2:32 PM
                                                        Please disregard this this was an old e-mail about an off topic thread that I never sent but was in drafts. I went to hit delete, but I hit send by accident..

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Apr 10 2:38 PM
                                                          Wow - did this reply circle the global networks for almost seven months before finally reaching its destination, or are you just this far behind on your e-mail Christian???

                                                          Surprised smile emoticon

                                                          Sent: Friday, April 10, 2009 5:29 PM

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Apr 10 2:43 PM
                                                            I apologize sending this... Back then I was trying to be funny like the other guys. It was off color humor and it was an off topic off color thread. I determined that this was not funny so I never sent it and I end up sending it by accident 7 months later. If this e-mail offends anyone, I apologize.

                                                            Please disregard this this was an old e-mail about an off topic thread that I never sent but was in drafts. I went to hit delete, but I hit send by accident..

                                                            Since we are off topic,   we can talk about how as a youth I worked in a Animal Hospital and saw a cat die from a BB Gun and was traumatized and wanted to get back at the person that killed the cat..

                                                            Oh yea did i forget to mention that I am a reservist in the military and was trained in the use of firearms?

                                                            Oh back to the traumatization, my doctor says I am better as long as I dont listen to the voices. :D

                                                            >>> For the past month I have watched this board turn into a chat room
                                                            that has little to do with actual projects

                                                            I think it's just some post-show (VCF, HOPE, Trenton) amusement. At least
                                                            that's how I meant ti.

                                                            >>> or are we just killing cats, fixing cars?

                                                            I like to kill cats WITH my car.

                                                          • Brian Cirulnick
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Apr 14 9:18 AM
                                                              Yes, but the below thread suddenly makes me realize how Ted Stevens got confused about how email works in his famous "series of tubes" speech. There was some bit of it where he claimed that an email he sent didn't reach his staff until days later because the internet was clogged. Maybe it was just because it was sitting in drafts for days.