OT: Cats suck

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 17, 2008
      The world would be a better place without cats.

      Tigers and lions can stay.

      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 17, 2008
        I disagree.... Cats are ok. People Suck....

        I have no real problems with most animals.

        Also the Egyptians used to revere cats because they killed pests like mice..

        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 17, 2008
          I now know to subscribe Evan to all the LOL cats and the daily kitten e-mail spam memberships...

          Or just this flicker page

          http://www.flickr.com/groups/catsandcomps/

          Iz in your putter coughing up hairballz

          I disagree.... Cats are ok. People Suck....

          I have no real problems with most animals.

          Also the Egyptians used to revere cats because they killed pests like mice..

          The world would be a better place without cats.

          Tigers and lions can stay.

          you need to open up a store! Sounds like you've accumulated a lot since I was last at your house. It was good to see you this weekend.
          Bill

          > Anyone need some? I have way too many. Mostly Panasonic KXP stuff.
          >
          > Free if you come to get them.
          >
          > Kelly

          --- Attachment winmail.dat- --

        • Evan
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 17, 2008
            >>> I now know to subscribe Evan to all the LOL cats and the daily kitten e-mail spam memberships...

            I always get even .....

            Dogs are where it's at. Cats are useless and annoying.
          • fairlanefastback
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 17, 2008
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

              kitten e-mail spam memberships...

              > I always get even .....
              >
              > Dogs are where it's at. Cats are useless and annoying.

              Only a Sith deals in absolutes...

              And your hatred of cats ain't going to help you on the girlfriend hunt
              there BTW. Something to keep in mind. :p Even if they don't have a
              cat hating a species of animal isn't a very popular concept with the
              fairer sex in general.

              While almost all dogs are universally cool and automatically loving
              there are good cats and bad cats out there. Now get over that
              swatting scratch you suffered at the hands of Fluffy as a kid and open
              your mind like true Jedi. lol
            • Evan
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 17, 2008
                Who would you rather have on your side: Catbert or Dogbert? It's an easy decision.

                Woof!
              • fairlanefastback
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 17, 2008
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

                  > Who would you rather have on your side: Catbert or Dogbert? It's an
                  easy decision.

                  > Woof!

                  I've had several people joke that I am like Dr. Doolittle when it
                  comes to animals so I don't need to choose one vs. the other. :p

                  And besides, I'd say the Pointy-Haired Boss does just fine with
                  Catbert as his ally.
                • Sridhar Ayengar
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 17, 2008
                    Evan wrote:

                    > I always get even .....
                    >
                    > Dogs are where it's at. Cats are useless and annoying.

                    Cats have the hacker mentality. Dogs don't.

                    Peace... Sridhar
                  • Jack Harvey
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 17, 2008
                      I personally like both cats and dogs. Cats protect from mice and pests, and are pretty self-contained. They stay outside all day, and come in at night to be all luvy-dubby.

                      Dogs on the other hand are loyal, always happy to see you, and do a good job protecting from bad peoples of the world. Except my dog. He loves every human ever. After just 30 seconds of knowing someone he will roll over on his back, an animals most vulnerable position other than sleep. He is alse scared of anything not human that moves. Cats, squirrels, other dogs.... Except he almost got himself killed by a husky, which I fended off with a screwdriver.

                      Anyhow, all cats/dogs (except chihuahuas(well, some of them)) share a common fault that I dont like. Shedding. It is very annoying how quickly their hair gathers in keyboards and inside the computer, despite the fact I've never actually seen my animals use my computers. Henceforth why my most valuable keyboards have covers, and I'm working on getting some for the others.

                      --Jack

                      I disagree.... Cats are ok. People Suck....

                      I have no real problems with most animals.

                      Also the Egyptians used to revere cats because they killed pests like mice..

                      The world would be a better place without cats.

                      Tigers and lions can stay.

                      you need to open up a store! Sounds like you've accumulated a lot since I was last at your house. It was good to see you this weekend.
                      Bill

                      > Anyone need some? I have way too many. Mostly Panasonic KXP stuff.
                      >
                      > Free if you come to get them.
                      >
                      > Kelly

                      --- Attachment winmail.dat- --

                    • Bob Grieb

                        I disagree.... Cats are ok. People Suck....

                        I have no real problems with most animals.

                        Also the Egyptians used to revere cats because they killed pests like mice..

                        The world would be a better place without cats.

                        Tigers and lions can stay.

                        you need to open up a store! Sounds like you've accumulated a lot since I was last at your house. It was good to see you this weekend.
                        Bill

                        > Anyone need some? I have way too many. Mostly Panasonic KXP stuff.
                        >
                        > Free if you come to get them.
                        >
                        > Kelly

                        --- Attachment winmail.dat- --

                      • Timothy J Fagan
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 17, 2008
                          Set a new posting record this month for the MARCH maillist, huh? Really?  Wow...

                          Can't see how that possibly happened!!!    (Looks for rolling-eyes emoticon)

                          Smile emoticon

                          --Timster--

                          Cats can't type!  They are, however, expert at using mice...

                          I disagree.... Cats are ok. People Suck....

                          I have no real problems with most animals.

                          Also the Egyptians used to revere cats because they killed pests like mice..

                          The world would be a better place without cats.

                          Tigers and lions can stay.

                          you need to open up a store! Sounds like you've accumulated a lot since I was last at your house. It was good to see you this weekend.
                          Bill

                          > Anyone need some? I have way too many. Mostly Panasonic KXP stuff.
                          >
                          > Free if you come to get them.
                          >
                          > Kelly

                          --- Attachment winmail.dat- --

                        • Dan
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 17, 2008

                            We have a dog, guinea pig, hamster, and once had a cat,
                            Now my kids are bugging me for another puppy.

                            I prefer Tribbles :)

                            =Dan

                          • Brian Cirulnick
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 17, 2008
                              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

                              > Dogs are where it's at. Cats are useless and annoying.

                              I'm officially putting Evan on my "evil people" list...
                              Cats rule. I have 2, and I'm thinking of a third.

                              He's probably just allergic and won't admit it. Most cat haters are.
                            • john_apw
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 18, 2008
                                While I love the way kittens frolic, I'm allergic. Can't have any
                                animal that sheds. Turtles and goldfish, fine. Only dog I ever had no
                                problem with was a poodle.

                                I install computer chips in n-scale locomotives. They're tiny and
                                it's tedious work and I'm the only one in my model railroad group
                                that does it, so I do a lot of installations and repairs for the
                                others.

                                One of the guys has several cats. For the life of me, I couldn't get
                                one of his locos to run well. I tried everything! Finally, I realized
                                that the only thing I hadn't checked was where the axle points sit in
                                the sideframes. Upon opening them up, I removed about six pounds of
                                cat hairs, practically a whole cat!

                                Needless to say, I almost suffocated!!

                                I can certainly live without cats.

                                But if someone who has cats throws a party and there's 40 people, who
                                do you think the cats hang around? Me! They must have allergy-radar
                                or something!

                                My pets have electronic innards.

                                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

                                > The world would be a better place without cats.
                                >
                                > Tigers and lions can stay.

                                Degnan
                                > Sent: Wed 9/17/2008 10:52 AM
                                > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                                > Subject: re: [midatlanticretro] Dot Matrix printers
                                >

                                > Kelly
                                > you need to open up a store! Sounds like you've accumulated a
                                lot since I was last at your house. It was good to see you this
                                weekend.
                                > Bill

                              • john_apw
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 18, 2008
                                  If you were ever just being nice to a cat and then had an allergic
                                  reaction that required an ambulance, epinephrine, and oxygen, you
                                  might develop a strong aversion to them, too!

                                  I don't hate them, but I'm certainly wary of them!

                                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Cirulnick"

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 18, 2008
                                    john_apw wrote:
                                    > While I love the way kittens frolic, I'm allergic. Can't have any
                                    > animal that sheds. Turtles and goldfish, fine. Only dog I ever had no
                                    > problem with was a poodle.

                                    I grew up with a pair of African Bullfrogs. You'd likely have no
                                    problem with those.

                                    Peace... Sridhar
                                  • Kelly Leavitt
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 18, 2008
                                      Anyone with this much disdain for cats must have rat or some other vermin in their lineage.

                                      I'm with Sridhar. Cats have a hacker mentality. Dogs are a little more "brute force". And it's not that I dislike dogs, I just prefer cats.

                                      Here's a book just for Evan: "All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome"
                                      http://www.amazon.com/All-Cats-Have-Asperger-Syndrome/dp/1843104814

                                      Kelly

                                      >>> I now know to subscribe Evan to all the LOL cats and the daily kitten e-mail spam memberships...

                                      I always get even .....

                                      Dogs are where it's at. Cats are useless and annoying.
                                    • Christian Liendo
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 18, 2008
                                        Even may have something

                                        http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/09/love-of-cats-he.html

                                        It's titled "Love of Cats was Six Flags Hacker's Downfall"

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Sep 18, 2008
                                          Thanks, Sridhar; next time I go out shopping for a pet, I'll keep
                                          that in mind! (I wouldn't advise you holding your breath!)

                                          -JohnM

                                          "I grew up with a pair of African Bullfrogs."
                                          I think I did too - my two younger brothers. :)

                                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar
                                          <ploopster@...> wrote:

                                          > john_apw wrote:
                                          > > While I love the way kittens frolic, I'm allergic. Can't have any
                                          > > animal that sheds. Turtles and goldfish, fine. Only dog I ever
                                          had no
                                          > > problem with was a poodle.
                                          >
                                          > I grew up with a pair of African Bullfrogs. You'd likely have no
                                          > problem with those.
                                          >
                                          > Peace... Sridhar

                                        • Sridhar Ayengar
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 18, 2008
                                            john_apw wrote:
                                            > Thanks, Sridhar; next time I go out shopping for a pet, I'll keep
                                            > that in mind! (I wouldn't advise you holding your breath!)

                                            They're actually pretty affectionate...

                                            Peace... Sridhar
                                          • Stan Brewer
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Sep 19, 2008
                                              Evan,
                                                I've got to agree with you.  My neighbors cat comes into my yard and kills birds and animals then leaves them for me to bury.  It has killed 4 birds and 3 squirrels, and one baby animal I could not identify so far this year.  Then added to that it killed a small bird (I don't know bird types), leaving her two eggs to die in the nest.  The cat does not eat any of the animals.  I love animals, but that cat has got to go.

                                                                                                                                     Stan

                                              Evan wrote:

                                              The world would be a better place without cats.

                                              Tigers and lions can stay.

                                              you need to open up a store! Sounds like you've accumulated a lot since I was last at your house. It was good to see you this weekend.
                                              Bill

                                              > Anyone need some? I have way too many. Mostly Panasonic KXP stuff.
                                              >
                                              > Free if you come to get them.
                                              >
                                              > Kelly

                                              --- Attachment winmail.dat- --

                                            • Stan Brewer

                                                I disagree.... Cats are ok. People Suck....

                                                I have no real problems with most animals.

                                                Also the Egyptians used to revere cats because they killed pests like mice..

                                                The world would be a better place without cats.

                                                Tigers and lions can stay.

                                                you need to open up a store! Sounds like you've accumulated a lot since I was last at your house. It was good to see you this weekend.
                                                Bill

                                                > Anyone need some? I have way too many. Mostly Panasonic KXP stuff.
                                                >
                                                > Free if you come to get them.
                                                >
                                                > Kelly

                                                --- Attachment winmail.dat- --

                                              • Bryan Pope
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Sep 19, 2008
                                                  Stan Brewer wrote:
                                                  > Evan,
                                                  > I've got to agree with you. My neighbors cat comes into my yard and
                                                  > kills birds and animals then leaves them for me to bury. It has
                                                  > killed 4 birds and 3 squirrels, and one baby animal I could not
                                                  > identify so far this year. Then added to that it killed a small bird
                                                  > (I don't know bird types), leaving her two eggs to die in the nest.
                                                  > The cat does not eat any of the animals. I love animals, but that cat
                                                  > has got to go.

                                                  Is there something wrong with nature for you?

                                                  Cheers,

                                                  Bryan

                                                  P.S. I hope everyone notices Kelly Leavitt's domain name! ;-)

                                                  > Stan
                                                  >
                                                  > Evan wrote:
                                                  >>
                                                  >> The world would be a better place without cats.
                                                  >>
                                                  >> Tigers and lions can stay.

                                                • Stan Brewer
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Sep 19, 2008
                                                    Is it nature for SOME cats to kill for the sake of killing, while others do not?  Having grown up with cats as pets, I can tell you that it is NOT in all of their nature to kill for the sake of killing. We had one cat that not only never killed another animal but ate vegetables.  She even would bend a stock of corn, find an ear, shuck it and eat it.  Man is not the only primate that thinks killing for the sake of killing is wrong either.  I'll upload photos and send another e-mail.  Since it is off topic, I'll delete the photos in a couple of days.

                                                                                       Stan

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Sep 19, 2008
                                                      Message
                                                      >>> I'll upload photos

                                                      Please don't.  If there's one place where we do need to keep things on-topic, it's the file/photos section of the Yahoo group.

                                                      Bryan Pope wrote:

                                                      Stan Brewer wrote:
                                                      > Evan,
                                                      > I've got to agree with you. My neighbors cat comes into my yard and
                                                      > kills birds and animals then leaves them for me to bury. It has
                                                      > killed 4 birds and 3 squirrels, and one baby animal I could not
                                                      > identify so far this year. Then added to that it killed a small bird
                                                      > (I don't know bird types), leaving her two eggs to die in the nest.
                                                      > The cat does not eat any of the animals. I love animals, but that cat
                                                      > has got to go.

                                                      Is there something wrong with nature for you?

                                                      Cheers,

                                                      Bryan

                                                      P.S. I hope everyone notices Kelly Leavitt's domain name! ;-)

                                                      > Stan
                                                      >
                                                      > Evan wrote:
                                                      >>
                                                      >> The world would be a better place without cats.
                                                      >>
                                                      >> Tigers and lions can stay.

                                                    • Stan Brewer
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Sep 19, 2008
                                                        Photos and album have been removed.
                                                        Anybody interested, contact me off list at Brewers@...

                                                                                                              Stan

                                                        You know, Orangutans may have more morals than humans.

                                                        Bryan Pope wrote:

                                                        Stan Brewer wrote:
                                                        > Evan,
                                                        > I've got to agree with you. My neighbors cat comes into my yard and
                                                        > kills birds and animals then leaves them for me to bury. It has
                                                        > killed 4 birds and 3 squirrels, and one baby animal I could not
                                                        > identify so far this year. Then added to that it killed a small bird
                                                        > (I don't know bird types), leaving her two eggs to die in the nest.
                                                        > The cat does not eat any of the animals. I love animals, but that cat
                                                        > has got to go.

                                                        Is there something wrong with nature for you?

                                                        Cheers,

                                                        Bryan

                                                        P.S. I hope everyone notices Kelly Leavitt's domain name! ;-)

                                                        > Stan
                                                        >
                                                        > Evan wrote:
                                                        >>
                                                        >> The world would be a better place without cats.
                                                        >>
                                                        >> Tigers and lions can stay.

                                                      • fairlanefastback
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Sep 20, 2008
                                                          Now hold on a second. First you agreed with Evan that the world would
                                                          be a better place with no cats (save lions and tigers) and now we are
                                                          down to only some?

                                                          The cat that kills does not do so for pleasure. It does so out of
                                                          instinct. It would eat the prey if it were hungry enough but as a
                                                          housecat it is not. It does not have a brain developed enough to rival a human or lower primate for it to have a distasteful
                                                          motivation. Instead your primate brain is inappropriately associating
                                                          its mere behavior from instinct and projecting upon it a motivation
                                                          only a more developed animal (like humans) might have.

                                                          Cats that don't kill are no more morally superior, rather they instead
                                                          are cats that have lost much of their instinct as starts to happen
                                                          over many generations as domesticated animals.

                                                          The cat has not got to go, except via nature perhaps, just like its
                                                          prey has.

                                                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Stan Brewer <brewers@...>
                                                          wrote:

                                                          > Is it nature for SOME cats to kill for the sake of killing, while
                                                          others
                                                          > do not? Having grown up with cats as pets, I can tell you that it
                                                          is
                                                          > NOT in all of their nature to kill for the sake of killing. We had
                                                          one
                                                          > cat that not only never killed another animal but ate vegetables.
                                                          She
                                                          > even would bend a stock of corn, find an ear, shuck it and eat it.
                                                          Man
                                                          > is not the only primate that thinks killing for the sake of killing
                                                          is
                                                          > wrong either. I'll upload photos and send another e-mail. Since it
                                                          is
                                                          > off topic, I'll delete the photos in a couple of days.
                                                          >
                                                          > Stan
                                                        • Stan Brewer
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Sep 20, 2008
                                                            Where did I say "the world would be a better place with no cats (save lions and tigers) " ?  I've looked through my e-mails, and unless I accidentally deleted it, I don't see where I said those words.  What I will say is, like people,  some cats suck, some don't.

                                                                                                                                        Stan