What To Do With Older PCs?

  • John Richard
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 16, 2008
      Hi, My name is John, I live in 21154 north of Belair MD. I have some
      older IBM stuff I no longer need. Some of it works, some does not (any
      more..it all worked when I stored it in my basement 7 years ago). I
      also have some parts. I have 2 5155 portables, 4 or 5 5140 lcd laptops,
      2 with printers, some monitors (1 color & 1 mono) older ones as well as
      some plain old 15 to 19 inch monitors. 2 PCs that are slimline desktops
      that are marked "Service processor" (they are older with 640K). I have
      several big cards that go in older PCs, some are memory (stacked), some
      I have no clue. I have an off brand?? "turbo" PC?? Also a couple of 386-
      486 good for parts. Also some tape drives and giant old hard drives.
      (Giant in physical size, probably only 10 or 20MB)

      Anyone interested?
    • Stan Brewer

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 16, 2008
          I don't know how I missed your address.  Been a long day.  Well it looks like Bill has "Dibbs" on them anyway.

                                     Stan

          Stan Brewer wrote:

          John,
            Where are you located?

                          Stan

          John Richard wrote:

          Hi, My name is John, I live in 21154 north of Belair MD. I have some
          older IBM stuff I no longer need. Some of it works, some does not (any
          more..it all worked when I stored it in my basement 7 years ago). I
          also have some parts. I have 2 5155 portables, 4 or 5 5140 lcd laptops,
          2 with printers, some monitors (1 color & 1 mono) older ones as well as
          some plain old 15 to 19 inch monitors. 2 PCs that are slimline desktops
          that are marked "Service processor" (they are older with 640K). I have
          several big cards that go in older PCs, some are memory (stacked), some
          I have no clue. I have an off brand?? "turbo" PC?? Also a couple of 386-
          486 good for parts. Also some tape drives and giant old hard drives.
          (Giant in physical size, probably only 10 or 20MB)

          Anyone interested?

        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 16, 2008
            B Degnan wrote:
            > JOhn,
            > I can pick up what I can fit in my car this weekend as I will be passing
            > through BelAir Friday and Sunday (Sunday would be easier). I can then
            > pass them along to my students or hold them for someone in MARCH, and
            > hold on to one of the 5140's or printers (depends what kind) for
            > myself. Please contact me via vintagecomputer.net/contact.cfm or call
            > me (below) if they're still available.

            Hey Bill.

            I could use those 5155s.

            Peace... Sridhar
          • Matthew Patoray
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 16, 2008
              Hi all,

              I just had a vintage 1973 Bell Dataphone 4800 delivered to my house.

              It seems to be in good condition and powers on when plugged in. I do have some questions.

              It has a 4 wire phone connection on it, does this thing use a Dedicated phone line?

              There is a switch on the front that selects between "LL" Center position which is like an upside-down triangle and "RT" also there is a light that says "NS" what does it do?

              What is the best thing to interface this modem with? It does have a standard DB-25 connector on it.

              Anyone have a manual for this thing?

              Thanks,

              Matt

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 18, 2008
                  Hi guys, sorry I took so long to answer, but I never did get this
                  message from Bill Degnan?? Bill, please send me a private email so we
                  can set up a time and give you directions. Also, don't want to sound
                  greedy but it never hurts to ask, do one of you guys have a P3 (or p4)
                  that runs in the 1.2-1.4 mhz range I could get as a trade? Not
                  looking for anything fancy, need one for a project. The stuff I am
                  offering is for free, no strings attached, just thought I would ask
                  if a p3 was available. Thanks, John

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar