A VCF success

  • john_apw
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 15, 2008
      I wanted to say that my son Andrew and I had a blast yesterday!

      We were in the workshop and built a micro-KIM1 single board computer.
      We talked the rest of the day about everything computer: CPUs,
      memory, busses, hardware architecture, assembly-language programming,
      etc. ...Not to mention the history of computer games, etc.

      We had a great time, and I'm sure it has made an indelible impression
      on him.

      Thanks for doing the VCF, the workshop, and making it a memorable day.

      A few other comments:

      I was blown away by the incredible progress in making MARCH
      presentable to the public. ALl you guys who've done the cleanup,
      preparations, all the way to the paint and the showcases - well done!
      Really nice work! Hard to believe the improvements, remembering back
      to what things looked like 3 years ago.

      We weren't able to spend as much time as I had wanted in browsing the
      displays, but to walk into a large room (what, 30x40 feet?) and see
      table after table with RUNNING vintage artifacts, man that is
      IMPRESSIVE! And it was immediately evident how much effort went into
      making each display "accessible" to the public. Very nice!

      Vince,
      Your kits are better by far than others I've built. It was a pleasure
      to assemble the KIM.

      And given how excited Andrew is about becoming a member of the "I
      built that!" club, you should be getting about "50 smiles per mile"
      for all the driving you did to make the workshop happen! Thanks for
      your extraordinary effort!

      Bottom line - this was SUCH a worthwhile way to have spent a Sunday!

      Best to all,
      -JohnM.

      Postscript:
      On the drive home I realized why none of you recognized me - it's
      been way over a year that I've been without my moustache and
      goatee... (Everyone says I look like a different person, but no one's
      told me who!)
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 15, 2008
        John, thanks for your feedback. It feels great to hear that your (14?)-year-old son enjoyed our show. I hope to see a larger percentage of kids there in the future.

        The room is 30 x 60.

        Vince is not on this list, so I'll forward your comments to him.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 15, 2008
          In this regard I have a suggestion. If you want family attendance to
          go up it might be good to point out some other area attractions that
          appeal to families (or for that matter couples) when you advertise the
          show. Car shows that take up an entire weekend often do this. It
          definately helps with attendance, even if you just point to the local
          county tourism website. Especially since Infoage is a bit off the
          beaten path this may be a worthwhile idea.

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

          > John, thanks for your feedback. It feels great to hear that your
          >(14?)-year-old son enjoyed our show. I hope to see a larger
          >percentage of kids there in the future.

        • Dan
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 17, 2008

            Just in case anyone was wondering about the LED Name Tags,  which Evan was wearing during VCF, you can find some here at this link. They're all the same, but they get more expensive. This one is only $15
            http://surpluscomputers.stores.yahoo.net/prsclednatag.html

            Evan,
            you still have that one I gave you right ?
            Save it for next time

            =Dan

          • Andy Meyer
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 17, 2008