We did it! (Again)

    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 14, 2008
      Message
      My body is exhausted and my voice is trashed, but I'm very happy because we pulled off our THIRD awesome VCF East.  (For newbs: VCF East 1.0 and 2.0 were help in Boston and run directly by VCF founder Sellam Ismail in California.  So in 2006, we in MARCH started with 3.0.)

      There so much to summarize, so I'll do it chronologically.

      My job lets me work remotely every Wednesday.  I live about an hour north of InfoAge.  So I drove to InfoAge Tuesday night and worked remotely Thursday as well, plus Friday morning.  That gave me Tuesday night, Wednesday night, and Thursday night to prepare for the show.

      Tuesday night, I was at Kinko's making posters.

      Wednesday night, InfoAge has its regular meeting, and then all the other clubs put aside their own work to help get the campus ready for VCF.  About a dozen people from other clubs helped clean the lounge (our speaker room) and dining room (our exhibit room).  We also cleaned the main building's lobby, the loading ramp, the computer museum hallway, and the computer museum lobby that doubles as the radio museum's back entrance.  Radio club members also built a very nice new walkway to replace the previous shabby old wooden pallette walkway into our computer museum wing.

      Thursday night, I had help from Joe Giliberti and Jeff Frady.  We set up chairs in the lecture room and tables in the exhibit room.  Later at night, I was again at Kinko's making more posters and VCF schedule handouts, etc.

      Friday, around 2 pm, I finally felt "ready" for VCF.  Most of the major checklist items were done and I took one last go-around of cleaning / organizing our new museum exhibit rooms.  At about 2:30, I finally sat down, relaxed, and started to wonder when the exhibitors would being trickling in.  The break did not last long .... 15 minutes later Bill Degnan got there.  After that, there was a constant stream.  Also that night, Fred Carl set up our lecture room screen, and other details came together.  A few hours later we brought in pizza, and later at night we went to a (lousy) bar.

      Saturday morning, right on schedule, the remaining exhibitors arrived, as did the public attendees.  Watts Humphrey's lecture that morning was terrific, as he focused on the history of computing here at Camp Evans, in which he was a direct participate throughout  the 1950s.  After that came Claude Kagan's lecture, highlighted by his stories about the RESISTORS club and by his display of Pres Eckert's 1942 engineering notebook.

      The exhibit hall Saturday afternoon was packed!  Andy Molloy finally broke his streak of burning up power supplies .... apparently our new club arsonist is Degnan .... who not only took out an old Apple, but also (last week) lost his 2002 Saab to a car fire.  What can we say, Bill is an explosive kind of guy!  Tired but happy, 20-something of us hiked to Chili's at 7pm, for the official VCF VIP dinner.

      This morning was Vince Briel's replica workshop.  It was quite an advanture for Vince this year (more on that later).  In addition to the four people who registered ahead of time for the workshop, we had four or five undergrads from a college two hours away show up in their college mini-bus, all looking for the workshop!  Said they were from the Ramapo College ACM chapter.  The five of them only had enough money combined for one replica kit (or less), so Vince kindly gave them a discount and let them share.  Kit aside, I think it was pretty cool that a far-off ACM chapter convinced their college to take the official school-owned bus, complete with a school-employed driver.  For these college kids, VCF East was literally a field trip sponsored by their school and its ACM chapter .... friggin' awesome.

      Fred's InfoAge update talk this morning turned into a Q-and-A session, which was very productive.  Then came my favorite part of this year's VCF -- the speech by Bill Mauchly.  He was extremely engaging and the audience asked great questions.  He also brought along his father's 1930-something Monroe calculator and TRS-80 .... and I figure that while ALL of us have handled many a Trash-80, it's not every day that you get to handle JOHN MAUCHLY'S TRS-80!   According to his son Bill, the 80 was JM's all-time favorite computer -- with ENIAC getting only second place.

      Our food truck vendor decided not to return Sunday (apparently he didn't sell enough food Saturday), so Fred suggested that we order a zillion pizzas and sell them for $2 a slice.  That was very easy and worked out well.  Big thanks to rookie exhibitor Ed Gee for handling the food sales.

      In the afternoon was day 2 of the exhibit hall.  As usual it was slower than day 1, but not a morgue as happened at some past VCFs.  InfoAge videographer Dave Sica and I conducted short interviews with all the exhibitors.  Dave is going to edit that and I'll post it on the MARCH YouTube account.

      Three special awards: Rookie of the Year to Ed Gee and Mike Kelly, for their combined Apple BBS / Amiga exhibit, with runner-up going to Joe Giliberti for his H2G2 text adventure emulation.  Best of Show going to David Gesswein for his PDP-8 demo, with runner-up Mike Loewen and his SAGE exhibit.  And finally, "Most Hardcore" going to replica maker extraordinaire Vince Briel.

      So, speaking of Vince .... what's so hardcore about him????

      Vince arrived Friday afternoon.  Like everyone else, he set up his table, all going just fine.

      Then he came up to me with a very distraught look on his face.  "There's a problem," he said.

      Uh-oh .... that can't be good, I figured.  Or, was there a punchline?

      Turns out  that Vince forget to bring the single most important part of his exhibit and replica-building workshop -- the replica kits !!!!!!!

      I and others told him to just cancel the workshop.  People would understand that mistake happen.  Instead, in the dark and in the rain, Vince decided to DRIVE BACK TO CLEVELAND, still despite strong objections by me and others.  That is an 8-hour trip in each direction.  After arriving in Cleveland, he slept for just 2 hours, put the kits in his car, and then DROVE BACK TO VCF.  By that point it was Saturday at almost lunchtime.  He obviously went to bed early that night, had a normal night's sleep, pulled off the workshop this morning, and then drove home. So, in total he drove *** 32 HOURS *** between Friday morning and tonight, spending countless stacks of cash on gasoline, putting 2,000 miles on his car, all the avoid having (at the time) four disappointed workshop-takers!

      It just doesn't get any more dedicated, hard-core, and loyal than that.

      Meanwhile ..... all weekend long we got great feedback about our new computer museum rooms.  So I'm very pleased about that.

      Jim and I have to figure out all the expenses and revenue.  Unofficially, we had around 80-90 total paid attendees for the weekend, which is on par with last year (maybe down very slightly, but pretty good considering the economy and the fact that I posted grossly incorrect driving directions)...!  It was also nice that a higher percentage of attendees this year bought 2-day tickets vs. 1-day tickets.  Profit-wise, also on par with last year and the year before, I estimate that we made about $700 for the club (which is public info because we're a non-profit).  I could be off by hundred or so in either direction, but it's still pretty good net profit.

      This week, I'll finish cleaning up on Wed. night, and then our museum will be closed this week for some additional cleaning and fixing a few things.  We will officially be open in "normal" (non-special-event) mode as of Sunday, Sept. 28.

      It took a solid 3 or 4 months to plan the VCF East 5.0, followed by a week of chaos (but in a good way) for the event itself.  I always feel kind of sad when it's over.  But mostly I feel very relieved, proud of myself and of the whole crew for helping/participating, and tired !!!!

      To those who took pictures and/or video: I'm really looking forward to seeing the results!  Please post ASAP and share the links (also post them on cctalk and the vc forum).

      - Evan

    • fairlanefastback
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 14, 2008
        Congrats to the club on the show!

        I definitely enjoyed myself. An added bonus was that my fiancee
        enjoyed herself as well. :)

        I loved the Aquarius exhibit especially. I never even had heard of
        that machine before.

        It was also very cool that the radio museum was open as well as that
        provided more things to see and do.

        Kate and I spent Sunday at the Battleship New Jersey and the aquarium
        in Camden, NJ. We stayed in downtown Philly Saturday night. VCF was
        a nice part of a very cool weekend for us.

        Kudos to all involved!
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 14, 2008
          Thanks for posting, Joe #2.

          >>> I loved the Aquarius exhibit especially.

          Kudos to Andy Molloy for that exhibit.

          It was also very cool that the radio museum was open as well as that
          provided more things to see and do.

          Yup! The regular hours are Sunday, 1-4. But we asked them to be open
          special for on Saturday.

            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 14, 2008
              It was about this machine:

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattel_Aquarius

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Stan Brewer <brewers@...>
              wrote:

              > What was the Aquarius display?
              >
              > Stan (An Aquarian)

            • Stan Brewer
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 14, 2008
                It looks a lot like the TI-99/4 , my first home computer.

                                             Stan

                wrote:

                > What was the Aquarius display?
                >
                > Stan (An Aquarian)

              • Bill Degnan
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 15, 2008
                  Evan,
                  Congratulations on a job well done. He landed the plane safely and did a heck of a job.

                  Everyone else -
                  Thanks to those who were local and could help with museum setup. Same goes to David Geeswin who had Space War running on his PDP 8/i. Amazing. I even got to play Dan Ragonti with John Allain on video camera. I have to see how it turned out.

                  Mike's Sage exhibit was also quite amazing. The core memory plane was the biggest I'd ever seen. Thanks Mike for the magazines (Bytes from 84-86), Jeff Jonas for the Atari 130XE, Xerox 820 parts, etc., Herb Johnson for the Mac Plus power supply, JesusSys for the Amiga 1200, and everyone who helped my move my stuff. Another batch of thanks goes to Mike Lee for helping me with my KIM kit, and of course Vince Briel for making the trip 2X so that we all could get a feel for building a KIM and Apple I replica. A rewarding experience.

                  I took a lot of pictures and a bit of video. I will compile it and make available asap.

                  I brought everything into the house last night, but I was too tired to put it all away.

                  Yes I smoked an Apple Profile harddrive power supply, but I should be able to fix this when I have time.

                  The top score of the vintage computer quiz was an 80%. There was a 5-way tie.

                  Anyway,

                  Talk to you soon.

                  Bill
                • Christian Liendo
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 15, 2008
                    Anyone who took pictures from the show and are putting them up on the web, please post the links of your pics. We would love to see them.

                  • Andy Meyer
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 15, 2008
                      Please put them up on Flickr.com and tag them "VCF East 2008".

                      If you have a Yahoo login, you already have a free Flickr account!
                      (Yahoo owns Flickr)
                      Just login to http://www.flickr.com/ using your Yahoo login and password.
                    • Evan
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 15, 2008
                        Don't we all have Yahoo logins, otherwise we couldn't be on this list...

                        I entered "VCF" into the flickr search bat and sorted by "most recent". Someone named "wwward0" posted some pictures.

                        He erred in posting (re: Vince's wooden Apple case), "I do believ that is an original Apple 1".

                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 15, 2008
                          Was that REALLY an Apple I?

                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 15, 2008
                            Christian Liendo wrote:
                            > Was that REALLY an Apple I?

                            An Apple I *replica*, possibly his replica I that he sells.

                            Cheers,

                            Bryan

                          • Bill Sudbrink
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 15, 2008
                              Did you know that gullible is not listed in most dictionaries?

                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 15, 2008
                                No for a second there I thought Evan said that he believed it was an apple I.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 15, 2008
                                  I'm sorry, as I read that again I realize that it needed a smiley :-).
                                  I didn't mean that to be harsh, just a gentle poke at the ribs.  I talked
                                  to Vince about that case and the several others that he has made...
                                  He was charging $500 for them and has decided that even that was not
                                  enough (we both really dislike woodworking).

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 15, 2008
                                    Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                                    > I'm sorry, as I read that again I realize that it needed a smiley :-).
                                    > I didn't mean that to be harsh, just a gentle poke at the ribs. I talked
                                    > to Vince about that case and the several others that he has made...
                                    > He was charging $500 for them and has decided that even that was not
                                    > enough (we both really dislike woodworking).

                                    I really *do* like woodworking. If I'm provided the designs, I wouldn't
                                    mind building a few. I find the activity relaxing.

                                    Peace... Sridhar
                                  • Bill Degnan
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 15, 2008
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 15, 2008
                                        Cool... I mean Swell!

                                                           Stan (If it's Mattel, it's Swell)

                                        Bill Degnan wrote:

                                        Mattel Aquarius computer plus peripherals and carts

                                        bd

                                      • Matthew Mikolay
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 15, 2008
                                          The Aquarius exhibit was great! I've even been inspired to purchase my own Aquarius, I just have to find a good deal.

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Sep 15, 2008
                                            Just a little suggestion: those blue bands that were used for
                                            identification were a little harsh. My brother put his on way too
                                            tight by mistake, and he had to drive home with an aching wrist. Maybe
                                            a simple stamp would be better at the next VCF!

> [...]
                                            > either direction, but it's still pretty good net profit.
                                            >
                                            > This week, I'll finish cleaning up on Wed. night, and then our
                                            museum will
                                            > be closed this week for some additional cleaning and fixing a few
                                            things.
                                            > We will officially be open in "normal" (non-special-event) mode as of
                                            > Sunday, Sept. 28.
                                            >
                                            > It took a solid 3 or 4 months to plan the VCF East 5.0, followed by
                                            a week
                                            > of chaos (but in a good way) for the event itself. I always feel
                                            kind of
                                            > sad when it's over. But mostly I feel very relieved, proud of
                                            myself and of
                                            > the whole crew for helping/participating, and tired !!!!
                                            >
                                            > To those who took pictures and/or video: I'm really looking forward to
                                            > seeing the results! Please post ASAP and share the links (also post

                                          • danlb_2000
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 15, 2008
                                              I agree about the wrist bands. Proper wrist bands are not that
                                              expensive, you can get a 1000 for around $25.00. That would last you
                                              through a couple shows.

                                              Dan

                                              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Mikolay"

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Sep 15, 2008
                                                Agreed. Nylon ties were a bad decision. We won't use those again!

                                                wrote:

                                                > Just a little suggestion: those blue bands that were used for
                                                > identification were a little harsh. My brother put his on way too
                                                > tight by mistake, and he had to drive home with an aching wrist. Maybe
                                                > a simple stamp would be better at the next VCF!
                                              • Dan
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Sep 16, 2008

                                                  Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                                  Message
                                                  we pulled off our THIRD awesome VCF East.

                                                  Evan et al,

                                                  This was a great event for me too, being that it was my first to attend and exhibit there. This was definitely worth the long drive thru a rainstorm all the way from Pittsburgh to get here. It was good to place the names and faces with everyone finally (I only met a few while at TCF) This was just like old times at the original 70's computer shows back in the day--before these were vintage ! I can make this a recurring event for a long time with spending some time making VCF exhibits for this in the future. I'll post my pics and video online shortly.

                                                  Good job Evan !

                                                  =Dan