lisa on ebay

    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 10, 2008

      James

      PS:  I wouldn’t pay $10,200.00 for the Lisa, is he off his rocker?

      This seller is confusing his later Lisa, which appears to be the 2/10 or Mac XL, with the rare original with the Twiggy drives that *is* worth $10,000+.  What gives it away is the single 3.5" disk drive vs. the two 5 1/4" drive for the original..

      The later Lisa's are still worth more than most other Apple models however, more valuable in working condition than all except the Apple I, Apple II, and the prototype stuff.  A good Apple Lisa 2/10 is worth $100+

      One good thing about Ebay is that believe me, he'll get plenty of messages correcting his mistake.

      Bill
    • fairlanefastback
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 10, 2008
        > This seller is confusing his later Lisa, which appears to be the
        >2/10 or Mac XL, with the rare original with the Twiggy drives that
        > *is* worth $10,000+.

        A bit much for some geeky nostalgia I would say! Thats utterly
        insane. You could take 10 decent vacations for that money, could buy
        a sufficiently kick-ass 60s or 70s muscle car for that.

        This got me thinking. Whats the most you ever spent on vintage
        equipment for a single item? I think I might have spent $50 on an
        Odyssey2 a few years back. I've spent more on some oddball newer
        stuff, like $500 for a Pegasos II. But at least I get some relatively
        modern performance from the Peg.
      • Bryan Pope
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 10, 2008
          fairlanefastback wrote:
          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
          >
          >> This seller is confusing his later Lisa, which appears to be the
          >> 2/10 or Mac XL, with the rare original with the Twiggy drives that
          >> *is* worth $10,000+.
          >>

          > A bit much for some geeky nostalgia I would say! Thats utterly
          > insane. You could take 10 decent vacations for that money, could buy
          > a sufficiently kick-ass 60s or 70s muscle car for that.
          >
          > This got me thinking. Whats the most you ever spent on vintage
          > equipment for a single item? I think I might have spent $50 on an
          > Odyssey2 a few years back. I've spent more on some oddball newer
          > stuff, like $500 for a Pegasos II. But at least I get some relatively
          > modern performance from the Peg.

          Does spending a couple of hundred dollars a month (at one time) for
          storage count?

          Cheers,

          Bryan
        • fairlanefastback
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 10, 2008
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...>
            wrote:
            > Does spending a couple of hundred dollars a month (at one time) for
            > storage count?
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Bryan

            How much you spend total when all was said and done? ;)
          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 10, 2008
              fairlanefastback wrote:
              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...>
              > wrote:
              >> Does spending a couple of hundred dollars a month (at one time) for
              >> storage count?
              >>
              >> Cheers,
              >>
              >> Bryan
              >>

              > How much you spend total when all was said and done? ;)

              My storage bill in total has been thousands upon thousands of dollars.

              Peace... Sridhar
            • Evan
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 10, 2008
                >>> A bit much for some geeky nostalgia I would say! Thats utterly
                insane.

                It's not insane, it's merely relative and subjective.

                Originals Lisas typically are 10-15K. The Apple 1 is typically 15-25K. Our DEC Straight-8 is worth .... I don't even want to speculate about the multiple thousands of dollars......

                I personally know several people who DID pay those prices in the past few years.

                On the other hand, we'll sell unboxed C64 units for $20.

                All comes down to rarity, condition, and historical importance.
              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 10, 2008
                  My storage unit costs me an extra $100/month figure I been there 4 years so $4800. But I also store other stuff. But most of it is my toys

                  >> Does spending a couple of hundred dollars a month (at one time) for
                  >> storage count?
                  >>
                  >> Cheers,
                  >>
                  >> Bryan
                  >>

                  > How much you spend total when all was said and done? ;)

                  My storage bill in total has been thousands upon thousands of dollars.

                  Peace... Sridhar

                • Kelly Leavitt
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 10, 2008
                    $500 - IMSAI 8080, 2 8" disk drives, Terminal, lots of docs.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 10, 2008
                      Christian Liendo wrote:
                      > My storage unit costs me an extra $100/month figure I been there 4 years
                      > so $4800. But I also store other stuff. But most of it is my toys

                      At its height (it's way less now -- I've since bought a house), my
                      storage bill was close to $500/month.

                      And that doesn't even count the storage space I'm mooching from others.

                      Peace... Sridhar
                    • Sridhar Ayengar
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 10, 2008
                        Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                        > $500 - IMSAI 8080, 2 8" disk drives, Terminal, lots of docs.

                        I've bought machines where $500 wouldn't cover the scrap value, but I
                        tend to have larger stuff.

                        Peace... Sridhar
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 10, 2008
                          wrote:

                          Does spending a couple of hundred dollars a month (at one time) for
                          storage count?

                          Cheers,

                          Bryan

                          I avoid buying anything for "market price" but I have in the past.  The most I ever spent was $200,000 for the original Babbage Differential Engine.  It's here, next to my Mona Lisa.
                          Bill
                        • fairlanefastback
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 10, 2008
                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

                            > insane.
                            >
                            > It's not insane, it's merely relative and subjective.
                            >
                            > Originals Lisas typically are 10-15K. The Apple 1 is typically
                            15-25K. Our DEC Straight-8 is worth .... I don't even want to
                            speculate about the multiple thousands of dollars......

                            > I personally know several people who DID pay those prices in the
                            past few years.

                            > On the other hand, we'll sell unboxed C64 units for $20.
                            >
                            > All comes down to rarity, condition, and historical importance.

                            My subjective personal opinion is that $10,000 to $25,000 for an old
                            desktop computer is insane for most people. If Richard Branson or
                            someone in that financial league are the buyers thats an entirely
                            different story. Or if a museum with a grant buys it, again another
                            story. I understand that there is a market, I just think its
                            participating consumers, with the exception of the ultra-rich are
                            being quite foolhardy with their cash. What is your take on their
                            motivation for buying at such prices? I'm not throwing stones. I
                            don't need a $500 Pegasos II. But at least I can do every day things
                            with it in the here and now, and I can eat out less, etc to compensate
                            financially so that it does not have a long term impact on my
                            finances. $25,000 is entirely different kind of chunk of change just
                            to be able to say you are one of few owners of an Apple1 on the face
                            of the earth. Most people need to take out a loan to throw that much
                            money at something. Were these people you know extremely rich?
                          • fairlanefastback
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 10, 2008

                              > I avoid buying anything for "market price" but I have in the past.
                              >The
                              > most I ever spent was $200,000 for the original Babbage Differential
                              > Engine. It's here, next to my Mona Lisa.
                              > Bill

                              Is your Mona Lisa an original with eyebrows? lol
                            • Evan
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 10, 2008
                                The most I've personally ever spent on a vintage computer is a few hundred (several times).

                                As for the deep pocket collectors, I don't have a problem with it, as long as they're real collectors/hobbyists and not just some wealthy snob who'll forever hide the computer away for his ego.

                                Kind of like collectors of the common 50s and 60s cars vs. collectors of Duesenbergs.
                                Subj: [midatlanticretro] Re: What is the most money you ever spent on vintage computer equipment?
                                Date: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:34 pm
                                Size: 2K
                                To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                                > insane.
                                >
                                > It's not insane, it's merely relative and subjective.
                                >
                                > Originals Lisas typically are 10-15K. The Apple 1 is typically
                                15-25K. Our DEC Straight-8 is worth .... I don't even want to
                                speculate about the multiple thousands of dollars......

                                > I personally know several people who DID pay those prices in the
                                past few years.

                                > On the other hand, we'll sell unboxed C64 units for $20.
                                >
                                > All comes down to rarity, condition, and historical importance.

                                My subjective personal opinion is that $10,000 to $25,000 for an old
                                desktop computer is insane for most people. If Richard Branson or
                                someone in that financial league are the buyers thats an entirely
                                different story. Or if a museum with a grant buys it, again another
                                story. I understand that there is a market, I just think its
                                participating consumers, with the exception of the ultra-rich are
                                being quite foolhardy with their cash. What is your take on their
                                motivation for buying at such prices? I'm not throwing stones. I
                                don't need a $500 Pegasos II. But at least I can do every day things
                                with it in the here and now, and I can eat out less, etc to compensate
                                financially so that it does not have a long term impact on my
                                finances. $25,000 is entirely different kind of chunk of change just
                                to be able to say you are one of few owners of an Apple1 on the face
                                of the earth. Most people need to take out a loan to throw that much
                                money at something. Were these people you know extremely rich?

                              • Jack Harvey
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 10, 2008
                                  The most I've ever spent on one part was $100 for my IBM 5150. I got the keyboard and manuals for free, as well as the monitor. But with the accessories and such I've got with it, I've spent about $250 on it. Interesting, thats the most I've ever spent on a vintage system, and yet most of my vintage systems are pretty near complete.

                                  As for spending thousands on vintage computers, it's on my agenda for the next year or two. I'd really love to get ahold of a PDP-8 of sorts, preferebly the "desktop" PDP-8e (I THINK it was the 8e). An Altair with drives, IMSAI 8080 with drives, and similair machines are on the "love to have list." A Macintosh XL/Apple Lisa are also on the "hope to own" list. Someday I'll run in to a large sum of cash. Or just save $2K for a rainy day.

                                  --Jack

                                  Date: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:34 pm
                                  Size: 2K
                                  To: midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups. com

                                  > insane.
                                  >
                                  > It's not insane, it's merely relative and subjective.
                                  >
                                  > Originals Lisas typically are 10-15K. The Apple 1 is typically
                                  15-25K. Our DEC Straight-8 is worth .... I don't even want to
                                  speculate about the multiple thousands of dollars..... .

                                  > I personally know several people who DID pay those prices in the
                                  past few years.

                                  > On the other hand, we'll sell unboxed C64 units for $20.
                                  >
                                  > All comes down to rarity, condition, and historical importance.

                                  My subjective personal opinion is that $10,000 to $25,000 for an old
                                  desktop computer is insane for most people. If Richard Branson or
                                  someone in that financial league are the buyers thats an entirely
                                  different story. Or if a museum with a grant buys it, again another
                                  story. I understand that there is a market, I just think its
                                  participating consumers, with the exception of the ultra-rich are
                                  being quite foolhardy with their cash. What is your take on their
                                  motivation for buying at such prices? I'm not throwing stones. I
                                  don't need a $500 Pegasos II. But at least I can do every day things
                                  with it in the here and now, and I can eat out less, etc to compensate
                                  financially so that it does not have a long term impact on my
                                  finances. $25,000 is entirely different kind of chunk of change just
                                  to be able to say you are one of few owners of an Apple1 on the face
                                  of the earth. Most people need to take out a loan to throw that much
                                  money at something. Were these people you know extremely rich?

                                • Timothy J Fagan
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 10, 2008
                                    Out of my many dozens of computers the most I ever spent was just over $200 twice. The first time was for a lot containing a working ZX-80 (which WAS my very first owned computer, and I WANTED it badly!) along with three ZX-81s(T/S 1000s). The second time was for an Atari Falcon.

                                    The most I ever spent on a single piece of software was ~$125 for a CIB pristine copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga for the SEGA Saturn. Next, was ~$75 for a CIB copy of MULE for the C-64. HAD to have that, and since then, I've seen it go for upwards of $150.

                                    --Timster--
                                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 10, 2008
                                      Jack Harvey wrote:
                                      > As for spending thousands on vintage computers, it's on my agenda for
                                      > the next year or two. I'd really love to get ahold of a PDP-8 of sorts,
                                      > preferebly the "desktop" PDP-8e (I THINK it was the 8e). An Altair with
                                      > drives, IMSAI 8080 with drives, and similair machines are on the "love
                                      > to have list." A Macintosh XL/Apple Lisa are also on the "hope to own"
                                      > list. Someday I'll run in to a large sum of cash. Or just save $2K for a
                                      > rainy day.

                                      The PDP-8/e is a rather large rackmount box.

                                      Peace... Sridhar
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 10, 2008
                                        Here is my wish list if anyone's looking to make a sale at VCF.

                                        In regards to the thread that started this conversation, how many of you
                                        have received a free this or that and then spent $100 or more to make
                                        it work? Was that item actually free if it compelled you to pay to
                                        complete it?

                                        Each year I spend for computers, parts and software on the high end of
                                        what others here claim to spend for storage. I also make about half
                                        that $$ back on poster sales and misc parts sales. I have actually sold
                                        over 400 posters so far! (vintagecomputer.net/poster_detail.cfm) . I do
                                        a good international business.

                                        I have been a shrewd buyer and I rarely pay retail price. I can think
                                        of one glaring exception, I bought an Altair 680 for $2000+. I usually
                                        pass if the price is too high, but I do track the sale prices on Ebay
                                        for my own reference to see what people are paying for things.

                                        50-60% of my collection is free/practically free stuff, ~25% at flea
                                        market to wholesale price, 10-15% through the nose retail. I also find
                                        that what I find valuable is not always in line with the market and visa
                                        versa.

                                        My buying has been tailing off as I have too much now as it is, and
                                        plenty to keep me busy. I have almost never bought a vintage computer
                                        and left it on the shelf, I use them all and have learned a ton in the
                                        process. If I can't use it or it's not repairable, I get rid of it/part
                                        it out.

                                        I plan to sell off some of the "pop computer" items I have at some
                                        point, and narrow my focus a bit. For example like MARCH I have about
                                        14 C-64's, and I have only paid for one (the first one). They all work,
                                        and I have the matching drives, etc. They multiply like Tribbles.

                                        bd
                                      • Brian Cirulnick
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 10, 2008
                                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, fairlanefastback
                                          <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                          > This got me thinking. Whats the most you ever spent on vintage
                                          > equipment for a single item?
                                          -------------------------------

                                          I spent $300 for a SUN 3/160, and THEN spent ANOTHER $300 to have it
                                          shipped. It came as two giant boxes, one being the computer and the
                                          other was a monitor and keyboard.

                                          It's still the heaviest single CPU machine I own.

                                          However, for the past 2 years, it has sat in my garage, which I have
                                          just discovered, has some mice running around. I'm now afraid to look
                                          inside that machine for fear of finding tons of mouse droppings and
                                          other fun.

                                          ttyl
                                          Brian C.
                                        • Brian Cirulnick
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 10, 2008
                                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
                                            <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                                            > My storage unit costs me an extra $100/month figure I been there 4
                                            years so $4800. But I also store other stuff. But most of it is my toys

                                            ----------------

                                            Yeah well, if we're going to start comparing costs on storage, I bought
                                            a house to hold all my crap... that was $340,000.00

                                            ttyl
                                            Brian C.
                                          • Stan Brewer
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 12, 2008
                                                 About 20 years ago, I answered an add for a PDP computer for sale.   I was the DP Manager for a small company with about 6 locations, we used PDP-11/23's and a MicroVax II.  With the hopes of picking up an additional PDP-11, I drove 50 miles to see the computer.  It was a PDP-8/e complete with desk, Rack, two disk drives (RL-01's?), two 8 inch floppies and a VT-52.  They wanted $125.00 for it.  I told them it was worth what ever they could get for scrap metal.  I wish I could go back knowing what I know now!
                                                 The most I ever paid, would be rent on a van, gasoline, motel and food expense to pick up two B-205 tape drives and the Flexowriter Claude Kagan gave me.  About $600.00  plus my brothers and my time for two days.

                                                                                        Stan

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Sep 12, 2008

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Sep 12, 2008
                                                  I collect and repair vintage (or is it antique) Radios and Televisions.  I know a guy who compiles a list of the top 40 highest ebay prices for antique radios each week.  Would the group be interested in a list of the top 40 highest  ebay prices for antique/vintage computers each week?

                                                                                                                  Stan

                                                  http://vintagecompu ter.net/browse_ thread.cfm? id=3

[...]

                                                • Christian R. Fandt
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Sep 12, 2008
                                                    Upon the date 23:47 12-09-08, Stan Brewer said something like:
                                                    I collect and repair vintage (or is it antique) Radios and Televisions.  I know a guy who compiles a list of the top 40 highest ebay prices for antique radios each week.  Would the group be interested in a list of the top 40 highest  ebay prices for antique/vintage computers each week?

                                                    Stan,
                                                    Who is that guy that compiles the epay antique radio top 40 sale list? Have a link?

                                                    I personally would be interested in a vintage computer list of which you speak.

                                                    Thanks,  Chris F.

                                                    NNNN

                                                    Christian Fandt,    Electronic/Electrical Historian
                                                    Jamestown, NY  USA      cfandt@...
                                                            Member of Antique Wireless Association

                                                  • Stan Brewer
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Sep 12, 2008
                                                      Chris,
                                                        Below is a sample of his list.
                                                                           Stan
                                                      Hi Folks: here's the past week's top 40 eBay completed radio auctions
                                                      (as of today). Have a good weekend, Dave

                                                      For links to these completed auctions, go to the radios SuperBrowse page
                                                      and select 'completed' from the 'status' pulldown menu:
                                                      http://www.collecto rsweekly. com/radios/ auctions
                                                      <http://www.collecto rsweekly. com/radios/ auctions>

                                                      1) Awa Empire State White Valve Radio - $2,433 - (#170256126715)
                                                      2) Walton's Radio - $2,000 - (#150289850728)
                                                      3) Detrola Radio Circa 1938 - $1,500 - (#150290362420)
                                                      4) Music Master Horn 21" Horn Speaker- Estate - $1,500 - (#370081556045)
                                                      5) Radiola Super Viii Console Radio - $1,487 - (#260282311928)
                                                      6) 50's Retro Vintage Healing Scales Bakelite Valve Radio - $1,267 -
                                                      (#110285614175)
                                                      7) Atwater Kent Model 9c - $1,200 - (#230288281547)
                                                      8) Very Rare Ip 501 Wireless Radio Receiver - $1,025 - (#300254178602)
                                                      9) Vintage 1939 Ny World's Fair Rca Tube Radio Model 40x56 - $899 -
                                                      (#180283662214)
                                                      10) Motorola 50-xc Catalin Art Deco Tube Radio 50-xc4 1940 - $895 -
                                                      (#380059658667)
                                                      11) Antique Federal Type 59 Radio Receiver - $817 - (#180284545326)
                                                      12) Western Electric 205d Tube (test Good) - $735 - (#150288968106)
                                                      13) Military Tube Tester Tv-2a/u - $710 - (#290256161134)
                                                      14) Emerson Tombstone Catalin Radio Model Bt 245 To Restore - $643 -
                                                      (#120302045053)
                                                      15) Art Deco Catalin Bakelite Motorola Tube Radio - $612 -
                                                      (#290258419938)
                                                      16) Martian Crystal Radio - Wireless Crystal Tube - $600 -
                                                      (#320294150572)
                                                      17) Restored Zenith B600 Trans-oceanic Sw Radio - $600 - (#150288676685)
                                                      18) Fairbanks Morse 8a Tombstone Wood Table Radio C1930's - $566 -
                                                      (#170259245207)
                                                      19) Restored H500 Zenith Trans-oceanic Tube Radio - $565 -
                                                      (#150288682350)
                                                      20) Vintage Addison Art-deco Burgundy Model B2a Tube Radio - $535 -
                                                      (#380061511344)
                                                      21) Antique Walton's Radio - $510 - (#150289177380)
                                                      22) Mcmurdo-silver 5c Professional Communication Receiver - $501 -
                                                      (#120299237008)
                                                      23) Beautiful, Working, 1930's Zenith Wood Tube Radio - $484 -
                                                      (#280256630962)
                                                      24) Vintage Tube Radio - Swirled Red Brown Bakelite Frame - $466 -
                                                      (#250291527163)
                                                      25) Restored 8g005 Zenith Trans-oceanic Sw Radio - $445 -
                                                      (#150288481880)
                                                      26) New Old Stock In Box 8-2a3s Rca, Ken-rad, Sylvania Plus - $433 -
                                                      (#320294297091)
                                                      27) Emerson Art Deco Tabletop Radio, Circa 1947 It Works - $432 -
                                                      (#110284761749)
                                                      28) 1920's Amplion Wood Bell Radio Speaker Type Ar-19 -wow! - $432 -
                                                      (#160277432659)
                                                      29) Vintage Deluxe Model 7g605 Zenith Transoceanic Radio - $430 -
                                                      (#360083264171)
                                                      30) Antique Philco Radio Console Radiobar Glassware - $421 -
                                                      (#320295002106)
                                                      31) Old Antique Wood Atwater Kent Tube Radio - Cathedral - $414 -
                                                      (#140262236267)
                                                      32) Antique Rogers Wood Case Tube Radio Majestic Corp Inc. - $409 -
                                                      (#310079059612)
                                                      33) Zenith 9s367 Console Radio - $390 - (#260282309582)
                                                      34) Dionne Quintuplets Stewart-warner Radio - $382 - (#220278430279)
                                                      35) 1931 Philco Model 90 /looks And Plays Great!!! - $379 -
                                                      (#160279092244)
                                                      36) Deco 1934 Zenith 808 Tombstone Radio - Rare Yellow Dial - $373 -
                                                      (#160279958487)
                                                      37) Philco Vacuum Tube Console Radio - $361 - (#320293679360)
                                                      38) 1923 Clapp Eastham Radak R4 And A4 Radio With Horn - $356 -
                                                      (#140262537412)
                                                      39) Old Antique Wood Emerson Tube Radio, Ingraham Cabinet - $356 -
                                                      (#230286627473)
                                                      40) Am Transmitter For Antique Tube Radio Shows! Ramsey - $350 -
                                                      (#130252588268)

                                                      Christian R. Fandt wrote:

                                                      Upon the date 23:47 12-09-08, Stan Brewer said something like:

                                                      I collect and repair vintage (or is it antique) Radios and Televisions.  I know a guy who compiles a list of the top 40 highest ebay prices for antique radios each week.  Would the group be interested in a list of the top 40 highest  ebay prices for antique/vintage computers each week?

                                                      Stan,
                                                      Who is that guy that compiles the epay antique radio top 40 sale list? Have a link?

                                                      I personally would be interested in a vintage computer list of which you speak.

                                                      Thanks,  Chris F.

                                                      NNNN

                                                      Christian Fandt,    Electronic/Electric al Historian
                                                      Jamestown, NY  USA      cfandt@netsync. net
                                                              Member of Antique Wireless Association