WAY too much time on their hands...

  • Timothy J Fagan
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 9, 2008
      I don't know how long this has been out there, but if you want to see something absolutely amazing (at least for appreciating the effort it took to create), do the following, and sit back for an amazing show.

      1) In Windows, bring up a command prompt / In Mac OS, bring up a 'terminal' session / In Linux/UNIX, bring up a shell prompt
      2) at the prompt, type in 'telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl' (without the quotes)
      3) hit enter
      4) be amazed!   Smile emoticon
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 9, 2008
        Message
        That's incredible!  I wonder how long it took to perfect it.

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 9, 2008
          I remember this... This is cool

          From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
          To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 7:36 PM

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 9, 2008
            no telnet in Vista...Oh well...

            On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:
            I remember this... This is cool

            From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
            To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 7:36 PM

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 9, 2008
              Joe,

              Here's a link to a free telnet client compatible with Vista (according to their site, anyhow):

              --Timster--

              PS - You can also see what it is on YouTube, though it's not quite the same:

              Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 8:41 PM

              no telnet in Vista...Oh well...

              On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@ yahoo.com> wrote:
              I remember this... This is cool

              From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
              To: midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups. com
              Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 7:36 PM

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 12, 2008
                "You can say that two times!"   Ben Jahrvi, Short Circuit, 1986

                From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
                To: midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups. com
                Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 7:36 PM

                  From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
                  To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 7:36 PM

                  --
                  See you space cowboy...
                • Stan Brewer
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 13, 2008
                      Any DEC guys here remember the, escape sequences and text graphics of the Christmas tree with the presents under it and the train on the tracks?  I would put it on my systems as the Welcome message each year just before Christmas.
                      And what about those great printer graphics from DECUS?  I once had to work a week end and since I was at the plant with no one else in the office, I printed the 747 over the Goldengate Bridge.  That was a wall size poster!  Try that with an Ink Jet.  My favorite was the Neal Armstrong on the Moon.
                      Yep those were the days....

                                                      Stan

                    From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
                    To: midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups. com
                    Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 7:36 PM

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 15, 2008
                      On Sat, 13 Sep 2008, Stan Brewer wrote:

                      > I printed the 747 over the Goldengate Bridge. That was a wall size
                      > poster! Try that with an Ink Jet.

                      I actually have this. It was hanging in a guy's apartment who invited me
                      over to clean out all his old computer magazines. I took it apart page by
                      page and rolled it up. One day I plan to re-assemble and frame it. It's
                      about 8'x8'.

                      --

                      Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival