Good news - cottage lodging for VCF

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 9 4:47 AM
      It's official: whoever wants to can cancel their hotel reservations and stay in one of the InfoAge cottages for FREE this weekend. I am definitely doing that.

      There are a few details to be aware of...

      Friday night, our guest speaker Watts Humphrey will be in cottage #2 (the nicer one) and I'm not going to stick him with roomies. So we all have to stay in cottage #1. It's not un-nice, just not as nice. May not be beds and/or bedding though! Sleeping bags are the way to go. Hey, it's free and there is running water and utilities including 'net. :)

      The second night we can stay in either cottage.

      One or both nights, we may have a few roomies of our own, such as InfoAge's Henry Stinga or Dave Snellman. Both really nice guys.

      Our responsibility is to treat the cottage(s) like we're staying in someone's home as guests, NOT like a frat house.......

      This will save me around $200 so I'm happy. Who else?
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 9 5:57 AM
        Cool. We can now spend the money on beer and hookers!

        We can even get Vintage Hookers, They are like Vintage Computers
        They are slow
        They are nostalgic
        They don't work very well
        And they make funny noises when you turn them on

        They probably cost the same as a Commodore 64 too

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 9 9:30 PM
            Message
            No, you have to dive into the Shark River behind the cottages.  BTW, there's a reason it's called the "Shark" River.  You come out clean ... if you come out at all ....    :)

            Yes, there are showers. Electricity, too!  And a kitchen, etc. ... just not beds (that I know of).

            Or maybe there are.  I'm not sure.  But there is definitely a shower.

            Saturday night, Mr. Humphrey will be gone, so we can stay in the nicer cottage #2.  With beds.

            I might stay on the floor regardless, because last time that's where I ended up.  Yes, it hurt when I landed.  True story .... and damn lucky I wasn't on the top bunk!

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 9 9:43 PM
                  Shoot, tried to cancel my hotel reservation and they said I didn't give 72 hours notice, so they will bill me for the first night.  I guess I have to stay the first night at the hotel but I'll do the cottage for the second night. Sigh.

                  Andy

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 9 9:45 PM
                    Message
                    That sucks.  Which hotel?  Most places only require 24 or 48 hours.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 9 9:51 PM
                      It was the Days Inn at Neptune NJ. After they refused to cancel the rez I said "may I please speak with the manager" and he said "I am the manager and no, I won't make an exception." Curse them!

                      Andy

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 9 9:57 PM
                        Message
                        WTF?  That's where my reservation was too.  I cancelled around noon today.

                        If they base the 24-hour cycle on check-in times, then I barely made it in time.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 9 10:00 PM
                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Molloy"
                          <awmolloy@...> wrote:

                          > It was the Days Inn at Neptune NJ. After they refused to cancel the
                          rez I
                          > said "may I please speak with the manager" and he said "I am the
                          manager and
                          > no, I won't make an exception." Curse them!
                          >
                          > Andy

                          I just checked their website as 72 hours sounds fishy, alas it appears
                          to be so. I've never heard of a chain that required so much time
                          before. :(
                        • Ray Sills
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 10 4:33 AM
                            And, if you reserved by paying with a credit card, you might seek help
                            from the credit card company.

                            24 hours notice is the standard most places.

                            On Sep 10, 2008, at 1:00 AM, fairlanefastback wrote:

                            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Molloy"
                            > <awmolloy@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> It was the Days Inn at Neptune NJ. After they refused to cancel the
                            > rez I
                            >> said "may I please speak with the manager" and he said "I am the
                            > manager and
                            >> no, I won't make an exception." Curse them!
                            >>
                            >> Andy
                            >

                            > I just checked their website as 72 hours sounds fishy, alas it appears
                            > to be so. I've never heard of a chain that required so much time
                            > before. :(

                          • Stan Brewer