Cleaning IC legs

  • Richard A. Cini
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 8, 2008
      Cleaning IC legs All:

          I’ve had a Northstar controller go south on me and while I was doing some troubleshooting, I noticed that the legs of many of the chips have significant amounts of oxide on them. What is the best way to clean them? I have some of the usual metal cleaners around (Brasso, Noxol or whatever the stuff in the green bottle is), but are any of them safe for electronics?

          All of the chips are socketed so I guess I could replace them all (except the PROMs) but I’d like to try cleaning them first.

          Any tips appreciated!

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 8, 2008
        Take a look at the various Caig Labs products - http://www.caig.com/ - DeOxit should do the trick very nicely. I tend to use it whenever I clean up old stuff - on both sockets and card edge fingers. For chips, remove, apply with dispenser and replace; for card edge, either apply to socket or just wipe on the (card) fingers. Very little is needed to be effective.

        This stuff works!

        You might also want to look at some of the Nye Lube or Dow Corning synthetic dielectric greases for large card edge connectors like S100 or multibus components.

        Jack
      • Ray Sills
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 8, 2008
          What he said.... DeOxit is great stuff. And, as Jack said, you don't
          need much. Should be in any collector's tool kit.

          73 de Ray

          On Sep 8, 2008, at 5:52 PM, Jack Rubin wrote:

          > Take a look at the various Caig Labs products - http://www.caig.com/
          > - DeOxit should do the trick very nicely. I tend to use it whenever
          > I clean up old stuff - on both sockets and card edge fingers. For
          > chips, remove, apply with dispenser and replace; for card edge,
          > either apply to socket or just wipe on the (card) fingers. Very
          > little is needed to be effective.
          >
          > This stuff works!
          >
          > You might also want to look at some of the Nye Lube or Dow Corning
          > synthetic dielectric greases for large card edge connectors like
          > S100 or multibus components.
          >
          > Jack
        • Bill Sudbrink
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 8, 2008
            Jack Rubin wrote:
            > Take a look at the various Caig Labs products -
            > http://www.caig.com/ - DeOxit should do the trick very nicely. I
            > tend to use it whenever I clean up old stuff - on both sockets
            > and card edge fingers. For chips, remove, apply with dispenser
            > and replace; for card edge, either apply to socket or just wipe
            > on the (card) fingers. Very little is needed to be effective.
            >
            > This stuff works!
            >
            > You might also want to look at some of the Nye Lube or Dow
            > Corning synthetic dielectric greases for large card edge
            > connectors like S100 or multibus components.

            Seconded and thirded... All of my OSIs are treated with DeOxit
            and Nyogel 759G. Makes those flakey OSI "fatherboards" almost
            100% reliable.

            Bill
          • rar14
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 8, 2008
              Bill and any others,

              I am looking for manuals, or copies of manuals,
              for the OSI boards. In particular the 420, 430,
              the CPU board and the motherboard.

              Can anyone help?

              Thanks,

              Rich Rosner