Re: [midatlanticretro] vintropedia - price guide for vintage computers and games

  • Michael Nadeau
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 7, 2008
      It took time when I did it, too, Evan.

      As several people have pointed out, a print price guide is out of date before it can come to market. The real purpose of a price guide is not to establish a definitive value, but to give hobbyists and collectors a point of reference as they buy, sell, trade items. For common items, eBay and other online transaction sites do a pretty good job of that. (My impression from looking at the Vintropedia site is that most of these prices are derived from eBay and similar sources.) Prices for rare items fluctuate greatly and require insider knowledge to stay on top of.

      This why I think printed price guides are doomed, and not just those for vintage computers. You need something that can be updated in near real-time.

      BTW, I did not intend to write a price guide. My original vision was to do a comprehensive, encyclopedia-style overview of all known microcomputers. Publishers weren't interested unless I included collector values, too.