RE: [midatlanticretro] The fun continues .... second exhibit room, etc.

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 2, 2008
      >>> Also, I could help fire up the SWTPC 6800 machine, although I was really hoping that the directions I gave you would be adequate for someone else to run it as well.
      We're all set with the 6800.  Your directions are good!
      From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, September 1, 2008, 7:57 PM

      Today, again, Chris and I tackled exhibit-building at the museum.  Basically we both sacrificed two of the three days this holiday weekend, but it was well worth it.  And fun, too.
      Today we vacuumed the first room and set up the exhibits in the second room (which is actually in the THIRD room; we skipped room 2 because of ongoing renovation).
      Chris will send me his pictures to upload.  Imagine if you: walk into the door of our second exhibit room.  On the right is an IBM exhibit.  Card punch machine,  workstation (I forget the model number), the 5155 portable, and the PC Jr.  Along the back wall is our Sony SMC-70, Electronic Associates (EAI) TR-20, Commodore SX-64 (but I think an Amiga is a better choice?), and Xerox 860.  We'll also put a small Grabbe/AMP exhibit in that section.  On the right side is one of our Perkin-Elmer minicomputers and an AT&T exhibit (3B2 and Western Electric tape drive).
      I'd like to get something by Franklin in the room.  Maybe eliminate the IBM workstation.
      There are so many local companies that made so many computers, and software too, that we can shake up this exhibit every few months and never run out of options.  Today we just selected some highlights of what's handy in our collection.
      We also spent time physically cleaning some of the hardware.   For example, the Western Electric tape drive came out of Claude's barn.  Before it was pretty nasty, now it's clean(-ish).  We also took care to select the cleaner of our two PC Jr. monitors, etc., etc. ......
      This week, in the evenings, I'll be working on posters for all of the exhibits and on the Computing of Camp Evans exhibit.
      I'll need people to help who are more technically knowledgeable than I, in a wide range of computers.  People who can authoritatively and quickly get systems running (not labor over every detail).
      Bill Degnan, Bryan Pope, Bob Grieb, Herb, Kelly .... yes I'm calling you guys out for this task, and whoever else can be a self-starter to GET THINGS DONE .... no hangers-around next weekend please.  It's the MARCH make-'em-work- a-thon!   :-)
      Actually, lots of things are already working just fine.  But we to go through our storage rooms, run power strips, intelligently organize and plug in all the wires, have lots of boot disks and demo apps ready (not just for VCF, but for beyond), etc. ..........
      I know that * some * computers like the IBM PC, Commodore PET, and TRS-80 will arrive the weekend of VCF in (more or less) turnkey condition, so those are exceptions.
      - Evan