Re: [midatlanticretro] The fun continues .... second exhibit room, etc.

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 1940
      Chris,

      The exhibits are not done until someone who knows nothing about computers can look at each machine and learn what it is and why it's there. We need signs.

      Jim

      From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, September 1, 2008, 7:57 PM

      Today, again, Chris and I tackled exhibit-building at the museum.  Basically we both sacrificed two of the three days this holiday weekend, but it was well worth it.  And fun, too.

      Today we vacuumed the first room and set up the exhibits in the second room (which is actually in the THIRD room; we skipped room 2 because of ongoing renovation).

      Chris will send me his pictures to upload.  Imagine if you: walk into the door of our second exhibit room.  On the right is an IBM exhibit.  Card punch machine,  workstation (I forget the model number), the 5155 portable, and the PC Jr.  Along the back wall is our Sony SMC-70, Electronic Associates (EAI) TR-20, Commodore SX-64 (but I think an Amiga is a better choice?), and Xerox 860.  We'll also put a small Grabbe/AMP exhibit in that section.  On the right side is one of our Perkin-Elmer minicomputers and an AT&T exhibit (3B2 and Western Electric tape drive).

      I'd like to get something by Franklin in the room.  Maybe eliminate the IBM workstation.

      There are so many local companies that made so many computers, and software too, that we can shake up this exhibit every few months and never run out of options.  Today we just selected some highlights of what's handy in our collection.

      We also spent time physically cleaning some of the hardware.   For example, the Western Electric tape drive came out of Claude's barn.  Before it was pretty nasty, now it's clean(-ish).  We also took care to select the cleaner of our two PC Jr. monitors, etc., etc. ......

      This week, in the evenings, I'll be working on posters for all of the exhibits and on the Computing of Camp Evans exhibit.

      NEXT WEEKEND WE WILL SEE HOW MANY OF THE DEMO COMPUTERS WE CAN ACTUALLY GET RUNNING.  HELP IS NEEDED FOR THIS!

      I'll need people to help who are more technically knowledgeable than I, in a wide range of computers.  People who can authoritatively and quickly get systems running (not labor over every detail).

      Bill Degnan, Bryan Pope, Bob Grieb, Herb, Kelly .... yes I'm calling you guys out for this task, and whoever else can be a self-starter to GET THINGS DONE .... no hangers-around next weekend please.  It's the MARCH make-'em-work- a-thon!   :-)

      Actually, lots of things are already working just fine.  But we to go through our storage rooms, run power strips, intelligently organize and plug in all the wires, have lots of boot disks and demo apps ready (not just for VCF, but for beyond), etc. ..........

      I know that * some * computers like the IBM PC, Commodore PET, and TRS-80 will arrive the weekend of VCF in (more or less) turnkey condition, so those are exceptions.

      - Evan

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2, 1940
        Message
        Don't read too much into that, Jim.   :)

        I'm makes a boatload of signs this week.

        The signs will be * simple *.  Just like at InfoAge as a whole, what we're doing now exhibit-wise is merely phase 1 of many phases.  We could easily spend a YEAR working on these exhibits before they're truly "done", so the goal right now is just to get something out there for VCF time.  Then we'll go back and improve things, over and over again, making things nicer and more elaborate each time.

        Right now I have easily two months' of work to do and only a few days of nerd-hours in which to do it.

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 2, 1940
          Evan. I'm getting pissed off.

          You already have "a year's work". Mine, for the 11/20 exhibit.
          You already have posters of quality. The three I've done. Completed
          two months ago. Available, reviewed on the Web.

          You've posted NOT ONE WORD about those posters. They are not in your
          videos, because you've not printed them. I even asked you to print
          them early, to make sure they would come out OK. I did the work well
          ahead of the show, so you could have PLENTY OF TIME.

          Now it's time. Will you print them and use them? or not?

          Herb Johnson

          Jim Scheef posted:

          "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

          > Don't read too much into that, Jim. :)
          >
          > I'm makes a boatload of signs this week.
          >
          > The signs will be * simple *.... We could easily
          > spend a YEAR working on these exhibits before they're truly "done",
          so the
          > goal right now is just to get something out there for VCF time. ...
          > Right now I have easily two months' of work to do and only a few days of
          > nerd-hours in which to do it.
        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 2, 1940
            I just got the walls for the posters painted on Sat...I helped Steve paint the walls and we will put the posters up..

            Don't be angry, we needed to get the heavy stuff done first.

            We moved most of the machines out of the "studio" into the new room
            We moved some really heavy stuff.

            Just Evan and I pretty must assembled the second display room on Monday.
            We cleaned up all the stuff the contractors left
            We moved everything out of the "DEC" room
            Then moved  the carpet from the "DEC" room to the new room
            Then found tables, assembled them and moved heavy objects from all over to be in that room
            Then we cleaned both rooms.

            Please give us a little credit. The rooms are finally done.

            "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

            > Don't read too much into that, Jim. :)
            >
            > I'm makes a boatload of signs this week.
            >
            > The signs will be * simple *.... We could easily
            > spend a YEAR working on these exhibits before they're truly "done",
            so the
            > goal right now is just to get something out there for VCF time. ...
            > Right now I have easily two months' of work to do and only a few days of
            > nerd-hours in which to do it.

          • Evan
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 2, 1940
              The context of my comments was for the museum as a whole. I think most people on our list already know that your 11/20 work is way ahead of everything else we've done.

              Subj: [midatlanticretro] Re: The fun continues .... second exhibit room, etc.
              Date: Tue Sep 2, 2008 12:14 pm
              Size: 1K
              To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

              "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

              > Don't read too much into that, Jim. :)
              >
              > I'm makes a boatload of signs this week.
              >
              > The signs will be * simple *.... We could easily
              > spend a YEAR working on these exhibits before they're truly "done",
              so the
              > goal right now is just to get something out there for VCF time. ...
              > Right now I have easily two months' of work to do and only a few days of
              > nerd-hours in which to do it.

            • Bob Grieb
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 2, 1940
                Evan,

                   I have other plans for this coming weekend, so I won't
                be able to make it up there.  I might be able to sneak in
                a trip before VCF opens, to deliver the Franklin Ace-1000
                if Bob gets it and it's workable.  Also, I could help fire
                up the SWTPC 6800 machine, although I was really hoping
                that the directions I gave you would be adequate for someone
                else to run it as well.  You would need a cassette tape recorder
                to load the Tic-Tac-Toe game.  Without that, you can only run the
                debug monitor, my RAM test, and the terminal demo program.
                Those are all in EPROM.  With a laptop and terraterm, we could
                load BASIC, but I don't have any BASIC programs to demo with.

                   Bob Grieb

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 2, 1940
                  Message
                  >>> Also, I could help fire up the SWTPC 6800 machine, although I was really hoping that the directions I gave you would be adequate for someone else to run it as well.

                  We're all set with the 6800.  Your directions are good!