Re: [midatlanticretro] Last Request: HHGttG Manual in PDF or something

  • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
      I have a vintage DOS box, two infact both 8088's. One is an original
      IBM but it will only take the smallist cards on its bus. I believe
      they only had eight bit input and output. The other is later, an ACER
      700 series.
      bs

      On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, Jim Scheef wrote:

      > Joe,
      >
      > Do you have a "vintage looking DOSbox"? I may have a VGA display card that would work. Let me know and I'll start digging.
      >
      > Jim

    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
        "Brian Cirulnick" <techrat@...> wrote:

        > As for the CP/M versus DOS debate, I doubt anyone here actually *likes*
        > Bill Gates... But, to quote someone else, the reason Microsoft is
        > successful and other characters/companies in the history of computers
        > have failed is because those guys made more mistakes than Microsoft did.
        >
        > Building a better mousetrap doesn't really mean the world will beat a
        > path to your door. Didn't anyone here ever see the movie "Tucker"?
        >
        > ttyl
        > Brian C.

        I understand your point about relative mistakes. Can you understand a
        point about relative "failure"? Gary Kildall's company was started on
        a kitchen table with his wife in 1975. In 1990 it was sold to Novell
        for $150 MILLION dollars - that's $250M in today's dollars. Explain to
        me how that is a "failure"? Only to those who measure success in the
        billions of dollars.

        But that point aside, CP/M *mattered* in its time and place. That time
        was not just a few years on the IMSAI, Kaypro, Osborne; but as part of
        a line of products. It and products of the era, set the stage where
        IBM - and Microsoft - "succeeded". History is like that. I think that
        makes history worth studying, worth preserving.

        Herb Johnson
        retrotechnology.com