Re: Last Request: HHGttG Manual in PDF or something

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar
      <ploopster@...> wrote:
      > That's probably an 8580.
      >
      > I once held a Jeep aloft with four of them and took a picture.
      World's
      > stongest plastic.

      -------

      Yeppers, that's the one. Built to survive a nuclear war. I'd love to
      hack in a modern motherboard, but use the original power supply, and
      then make that my main PC.

      I'd never again use anything else, just out of sheer coolness.

      I just need to find the free time for such a project. In the
      meantime, the damn thing gets to hold up boxes my cats sleep on.

      ttyl
      Brian C.
    • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
        I have a vintage DOS box, two infact both 8088's. One is an original
        IBM but it will only take the smallist cards on its bus. I believe
        they only had eight bit input and output. The other is later, an ACER
        700 series.
        bs

        On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, Jim Scheef wrote:

        > Joe,
        >
        > Do you have a "vintage looking DOSbox"? I may have a VGA display card that would work. Let me know and I'll start digging.
        >
        > Jim

      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
          "Brian Cirulnick" <techrat@...> wrote:

          > As for the CP/M versus DOS debate, I doubt anyone here actually *likes*
          > Bill Gates... But, to quote someone else, the reason Microsoft is
          > successful and other characters/companies in the history of computers
          > have failed is because those guys made more mistakes than Microsoft did.
          >
          > Building a better mousetrap doesn't really mean the world will beat a
          > path to your door. Didn't anyone here ever see the movie "Tucker"?
          >
          > ttyl
          > Brian C.

          I understand your point about relative mistakes. Can you understand a
          point about relative "failure"? Gary Kildall's company was started on
          a kitchen table with his wife in 1975. In 1990 it was sold to Novell
          for $150 MILLION dollars - that's $250M in today's dollars. Explain to
          me how that is a "failure"? Only to those who measure success in the
          billions of dollars.

          But that point aside, CP/M *mattered* in its time and place. That time
          was not just a few years on the IMSAI, Kaypro, Osborne; but as part of
          a line of products. It and products of the era, set the stage where
          IBM - and Microsoft - "succeeded". History is like that. I think that
          makes history worth studying, worth preserving.

          Herb Johnson
          retrotechnology.com