Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Last Request: HHGttG Manual in PDF or something

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
      Brian Cirulnick wrote:
      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Giliberti"
      > <Starbase89@...> wrote:
      >> Nothing here.
      >> I'll probably end up using something more modern. Its really more
      > important
      >> that I find the manual.
      >>
      > -------------------------------
      >
      > Joe;
      >
      > It looks like this site:
      > http://gallery.guetech.org/hhgttg/hhgttg.html
      > has the manual as images you can load up and print out
      >
      > As for a PC with VGA out, I have an IBM PS/2 3630(????) or something,
      > which is a 386 16mhz micro-channel tower with a whopping 2 MB of ram.
      > And it weighs a lot. (3.5 inch floppy only)

      That's probably an 8580.

      I once held a Jeep aloft with four of them and took a picture. World's
      stongest plastic.

      Peace... Sridhar
    • Brian Cirulnick
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar
        <ploopster@...> wrote:
        > That's probably an 8580.
        >
        > I once held a Jeep aloft with four of them and took a picture.
        World's
        > stongest plastic.

        -------

        Yeppers, that's the one. Built to survive a nuclear war. I'd love to
        hack in a modern motherboard, but use the original power supply, and
        then make that my main PC.

        I'd never again use anything else, just out of sheer coolness.

        I just need to find the free time for such a project. In the
        meantime, the damn thing gets to hold up boxes my cats sleep on.

        ttyl
        Brian C.
      • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
          I have a vintage DOS box, two infact both 8088's. One is an original
          IBM but it will only take the smallist cards on its bus. I believe
          they only had eight bit input and output. The other is later, an ACER
          700 series.
          bs

          On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, Jim Scheef wrote:

          > Joe,
          >
          > Do you have a "vintage looking DOSbox"? I may have a VGA display card that would work. Let me know and I'll start digging.
          >
          > Jim

        • Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
            "Brian Cirulnick" <techrat@...> wrote:

            > As for the CP/M versus DOS debate, I doubt anyone here actually *likes*
            > Bill Gates... But, to quote someone else, the reason Microsoft is
            > successful and other characters/companies in the history of computers
            > have failed is because those guys made more mistakes than Microsoft did.
            >
            > Building a better mousetrap doesn't really mean the world will beat a
            > path to your door. Didn't anyone here ever see the movie "Tucker"?
            >
            > ttyl
            > Brian C.

            I understand your point about relative mistakes. Can you understand a
            point about relative "failure"? Gary Kildall's company was started on
            a kitchen table with his wife in 1975. In 1990 it was sold to Novell
            for $150 MILLION dollars - that's $250M in today's dollars. Explain to
            me how that is a "failure"? Only to those who measure success in the
            billions of dollars.

            But that point aside, CP/M *mattered* in its time and place. That time
            was not just a few years on the IMSAI, Kaypro, Osborne; but as part of
            a line of products. It and products of the era, set the stage where
            IBM - and Microsoft - "succeeded". History is like that. I think that
            makes history worth studying, worth preserving.

            Herb Johnson
            retrotechnology.com