Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Last Request: HHGttG Manual in PDF or something

Expand Messages
  • Brian Cirulnick
    ... important ... Joe; It looks like this site: http://gallery.guetech.org/hhgttg/hhgttg.html has the manual as images you can load up and print out As for a
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Giliberti"
      <Starbase89@...> wrote:
      >
      > Nothing here.
      > I'll probably end up using something more modern. Its really more
      important
      > that I find the manual.
      >
      -------------------------------

      Joe;

      It looks like this site:
      http://gallery.guetech.org/hhgttg/hhgttg.html
      has the manual as images you can load up and print out

      As for a PC with VGA out, I have an IBM PS/2 3630(????) or something,
      which is a 386 16mhz micro-channel tower with a whopping 2 MB of ram.
      And it weighs a lot. (3.5 inch floppy only)

      Everything else I have is either CGA or too new to appear vintage.

      As for the CP/M versus DOS debate, I doubt anyone here actually *likes*
      Bill Gates... But, to quote someone else, the reason Microsoft is
      successful and other characters/companies in the history of computers
      have failed is because those guys made more mistakes than Microsoft did.

      Building a better mousetrap doesn't really mean the world will beat a
      path to your door. Didn't anyone here ever see the movie "Tucker"?

      ttyl
      Brian C.
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      ... That s probably an 8580. I once held a Jeep aloft with four of them and took a picture. World s stongest plastic. Peace... Sridhar
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        Brian Cirulnick wrote:
        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Giliberti"
        > <Starbase89@...> wrote:
        >> Nothing here.
        >> I'll probably end up using something more modern. Its really more
        > important
        >> that I find the manual.
        >>
        > -------------------------------
        >
        > Joe;
        >
        > It looks like this site:
        > http://gallery.guetech.org/hhgttg/hhgttg.html
        > has the manual as images you can load up and print out
        >
        > As for a PC with VGA out, I have an IBM PS/2 3630(????) or something,
        > which is a 386 16mhz micro-channel tower with a whopping 2 MB of ram.
        > And it weighs a lot. (3.5 inch floppy only)

        That's probably an 8580.

        I once held a Jeep aloft with four of them and took a picture. World's
        stongest plastic.

        Peace... Sridhar
      • Brian Cirulnick
        ... something, ... ram. ... World s ... Yeppers, that s the one. Built to survive a nuclear war. I d love to hack in a modern motherboard, but use the original
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          > Brian Cirulnick wrote:
          > > As for a PC with VGA out, I have an IBM PS/2 3630(????) or
          something,
          > > which is a 386 16mhz micro-channel tower with a whopping 2 MB of
          ram.
          > > And it weighs a lot. (3.5 inch floppy only)


          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar
          <ploopster@...> wrote:
          > That's probably an 8580.
          >
          > I once held a Jeep aloft with four of them and took a picture.
          World's
          > stongest plastic.

          -------

          Yeppers, that's the one. Built to survive a nuclear war. I'd love to
          hack in a modern motherboard, but use the original power supply, and
          then make that my main PC.

          I'd never again use anything else, just out of sheer coolness.

          I just need to find the free time for such a project. In the
          meantime, the damn thing gets to hold up boxes my cats sleep on.

          ttyl
          Brian C.
        • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
          I have a vintage DOS box, two infact both 8088 s. One is an original IBM but it will only take the smallist cards on its bus. I believe they only had eight
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            I have a vintage DOS box, two infact both 8088's. One is an original
            IBM but it will only take the smallist cards on its bus. I believe
            they only had eight bit input and output. The other is later, an ACER
            700 series.
            bs


            On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, Jim Scheef wrote:

            > Joe,
            >
            > Do you have a "vintage looking DOSbox"? I may have a VGA display card that would work. Let me know and I'll start digging.
            >
            > Jim
            >
            >
            >
            > ----- Original Message ----
            > From: Joe Giliberti <Starbase89@...>
            > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            > Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:20:55 PM
            > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Last Request: HHGttG Manual in PDF or something
            >
            >
            > I'm also on the lookout for a vintage looking DOSbox that has a VGA out so I can hookup to my 22" monitor. Otherwise I'll end up using a 90's Dell. *makes sound of disgust*
            >
            > Joe
            >
            >
            > On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:17 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
            >
            > Another good move. Sometimes wide ideas are good exhibits; other
            > times it's brilliant to focus on just one thing.
            >
            > I
            > personally have very fond childhood memories of playing H2G2 on my
            > //e...!
            > -----Original Message-----
            > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Joe Giliberti
            > Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:12 PM
            > To: midatlanticretro
            > Subject: [midatlanticretro] Last Request: HHGttG Manual in PDF or something
            >
            >
            > I've decided to focus my exhibit solely on the HHGttG text adventure, as I believe it to be the most widely recognized. It will make it a lot easier as far as displays and computers. I am looking for the manual, preferably in PDF or another digital doc, for the game.
            >
            >
          • Herb Johnson
            ... I understand your point about relative mistakes. Can you understand a point about relative failure ? Gary Kildall s company was started on a kitchen table
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              "Brian Cirulnick" <techrat@...> wrote:

              > As for the CP/M versus DOS debate, I doubt anyone here actually *likes*
              > Bill Gates... But, to quote someone else, the reason Microsoft is
              > successful and other characters/companies in the history of computers
              > have failed is because those guys made more mistakes than Microsoft did.
              >
              > Building a better mousetrap doesn't really mean the world will beat a
              > path to your door. Didn't anyone here ever see the movie "Tucker"?
              >
              > ttyl
              > Brian C.
              >

              I understand your point about relative mistakes. Can you understand a
              point about relative "failure"? Gary Kildall's company was started on
              a kitchen table with his wife in 1975. In 1990 it was sold to Novell
              for $150 MILLION dollars - that's $250M in today's dollars. Explain to
              me how that is a "failure"? Only to those who measure success in the
              billions of dollars.

              But that point aside, CP/M *mattered* in its time and place. That time
              was not just a few years on the IMSAI, Kaypro, Osborne; but as part of
              a line of products. It and products of the era, set the stage where
              IBM - and Microsoft - "succeeded". History is like that. I think that
              makes history worth studying, worth preserving.

              Herb Johnson
              retrotechnology.com
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.