RE: [midatlanticretro] another Retro book

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 17, 2005

      Jim and all -- the book is available through its publisher at http://tinyurl.com/agbey -- but you're not missing much in my opinion.  I reviewed the book in the June 29 issue of Computer Collector Newsletter ( http://news.computercollector.com ).

      Here's an excerpt:

      ------------------------------
      Even we computer nerds want a suntan, so if you plan to read at the beach this summer, there are some new, low-stress books to pass the time and provide eye candy.

      Unfortunately, unless you're a real beginner, "Retro-Electro" (Pepe Tozzo, Universe Publishing) isn't one of them. The new hardcover book has great photos to help you reminisce, but very little useful information to make you a wiser collector. Its stated goal is to cover a wide variety of electronics, not just computers, and it does that a bit too much for our tastes. Besides computers (several of which are miscategorized), it also includes calculators, radios, wristwatchers, telephones, cameras, video recorders, even citizens band units.

      However, my main objection is the decision to cover modern technology.

      Every section includes products right through the 1990s and 2000s.

      Therefore, the prices associated with most entries are pointless. For the vintage computers, in many cases they're much too high. Perhaps this will make a better collector's book 15 years from now. As said above, it's good for introducing newbies. http://tinyurl.com/agbey

      Personally, the slightly-less-recent book "Digital Retro: The Evolution and Design of the Personal Computer" is the one I would (and did) purchase for my shelf. You still get the colorful pictures, along with some very interesting history for most entries.

      Neither book is the near-encyclopedia of Michael Nadeau's "Collectible Microcomputers" but we admit to being a little bit biased about that, as Mike founded this newsletter.

      Regardless, opportunity is knocking loudly for any aspiring authors out there. There are now plenty of microcomputer-oriented books, just as there are books for collectors of calculators, radios, telephones, and the like. What's missing is a good book about minicomputers!

      Surely there were enough products to fill a book ("There are, and don't call me Shirley!")... any takers for this challenge?

      Meanwhile, CCN reader Roy Allan pinged us regarding his own new book, "A Bibliography of the Personal Computer: The Books and Periodical Articles" which is mainly a sequel to his 2001 work, "A History of the Personal Computer: The People and the Technology".

      "A Bibliography" (ISBN 096891084X) is a short paperback containing more than 280 book notations, 250 periodical notations, and overall, about 40 additional and new references since "A History" appeared.

      It's a good reference for beginners and experts alike. Check it out through Amazon.com at http://tinyurl.com/ae26k or contact Roy at rallan@... and, of course, please mention that we sent you.

      Are there other computer collecting books that your fellow CCN readers should know about, perhaps some new gem you discovered at the local high-tech bookstore? Tell us at news@... and you could become famous.