Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [midatlanticretro] Last Request: HHGttG Manual in PDF or something

Expand Messages
  • Joe Giliberti
    Nothing here. I ll probably end up using something more modern. Its really more important that I find the manual. Joe
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      Nothing here.
      I'll probably end up using something more modern. Its really more important that I find the manual.

      Joe

      On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:55 PM, Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

      Joe,

      Do you have a "vintage looking DOSbox"? I may have a VGA display card that would work. Let me know and I'll start digging.

      Jim

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Joe Giliberti <Starbase89@...>
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:20:55 PM
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Last Request: HHGttG Manual in PDF or something

      I'm also on the lookout for a vintage looking DOSbox that has a VGA out so I can hookup to my 22" monitor. Otherwise I'll end up using a 90's Dell. *makes sound of disgust*

      Joe

      On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:17 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

      Another good move.  Sometimes wide ideas are good exhibits; other times it's brilliant to focus on just one thing.
       
      I personally have very fond childhood memories of playing H2G2 on my //e...!
      -----Original Message-----
      From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Joe Giliberti
      Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:12 PM
      To: midatlanticretro
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] Last Request: HHGttG Manual in PDF or something

      I've decided to focus my exhibit solely on the HHGttG text adventure, as I believe it to be the most widely recognized. It will make it a lot easier as far as displays and computers. I am looking for the manual, preferably in PDF or another digital doc, for the game.


    • Evan Koblentz
      I ll send you an email with contacts for some gaming experts who may be able to help you. ... From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        Message
        I'll send you an email with contacts for some gaming experts who may be able to help you.
         
        -----Original Message-----
        From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Joe Giliberti
        Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:58 PM
        To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Last Request: HHGttG Manual in PDF or something

        Nothing here.
        I'll probably end up using something more modern. Its really more important that I find the manual.

        Joe

        On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:55 PM, Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

        Joe,

        Do you have a "vintage looking DOSbox"? I may have a VGA display card that would work. Let me know and I'll start digging.

        Jim

        ----- Original Message ----
        From: Joe Giliberti <Starbase89@...>
        To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:20:55 PM
        Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Last Request: HHGttG Manual in PDF or something

        I'm also on the lookout for a vintage looking DOSbox that has a VGA out so I can hookup to my 22" monitor. Otherwise I'll end up using a 90's Dell. *makes sound of disgust*

        Joe

        On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:17 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

        Another good move.  Sometimes wide ideas are good exhibits; other times it's brilliant to focus on just one thing.
         
        I personally have very fond childhood memories of playing H2G2 on my //e...!
        -----Original Message-----
        From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Joe Giliberti
        Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:12 PM
        To: midatlanticretro
        Subject: [midatlanticretro] Last Request: HHGttG Manual in PDF or something

        I've decided to focus my exhibit solely on the HHGttG text adventure, as I believe it to be the most widely recognized. It will make it a lot easier as far as displays and computers. I am looking for the manual, preferably in PDF or another digital doc, for the game.


      • B Degnan
        It s almost 2AM.. I am not completely done my Apple II Biorhythm program, but at this point it s respectable and only usability tweaks are needed. The hardest
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          It's almost 2AM.. I am not completely done my Apple II Biorhythm program, but at this point it's respectable and only usability tweaks are needed.  The hardest part is plotting points with the SIN function and there are scant examples to work from.  I decided to use a single centered sin wave and just plot the three measurements for physical, emotional, and intellectual at their respective locations on the wave for the given day.  It'll work, although I would prefer to display three sin waves as is most often done.  The calculations are correct which is most important.. 

          Joe - Why not use one of MARCH's C-64's if you're doing a text adventure?    Get a working system first, THEN build an exhibit around it.  That's my advice to you.  You can always simply open the manual and write a short program to demo POKES and PEEKS.

          Bill

          Evan Koblentz wrote:
          Message
          Can anyone proactively help Joe?  This is his very first VCF exhibit and we should all help him make it successful.
           
          -----Original Message-----
          From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Joe Giliberti
          Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:21 PM
          To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Last Request: HHGttG Manual in PDF or something

          I'm also on the lookout for a vintage looking DOSbox that has a VGA out so I can hookup to my 22" monitor. Otherwise I'll end up using a 90's Dell. *makes sound of disgust*

          Joe

          On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:17 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
          Another good move.  Sometimes wide ideas are good exhibits; other times it's brilliant to focus on just one thing.
           
          I personally have very fond childhood memories of playing H2G2 on my //e...!
          -----Original Message-----
          From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Joe Giliberti
          Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:12 PM
          To: midatlanticretro
          Subject: [midatlanticretro] Last Request: HHGttG Manual in PDF or something

          I've decided to focus my exhibit solely on the HHGttG text adventure, as I believe it to be the most widely recognized. It will make it a lot easier as far as displays and computers. I am looking for the manual, preferably in PDF or another digital doc, for the game.


        • Brian Cirulnick
          ... important ... Joe; It looks like this site: http://gallery.guetech.org/hhgttg/hhgttg.html has the manual as images you can load up and print out As for a
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Giliberti"
            <Starbase89@...> wrote:
            >
            > Nothing here.
            > I'll probably end up using something more modern. Its really more
            important
            > that I find the manual.
            >
            -------------------------------

            Joe;

            It looks like this site:
            http://gallery.guetech.org/hhgttg/hhgttg.html
            has the manual as images you can load up and print out

            As for a PC with VGA out, I have an IBM PS/2 3630(????) or something,
            which is a 386 16mhz micro-channel tower with a whopping 2 MB of ram.
            And it weighs a lot. (3.5 inch floppy only)

            Everything else I have is either CGA or too new to appear vintage.

            As for the CP/M versus DOS debate, I doubt anyone here actually *likes*
            Bill Gates... But, to quote someone else, the reason Microsoft is
            successful and other characters/companies in the history of computers
            have failed is because those guys made more mistakes than Microsoft did.

            Building a better mousetrap doesn't really mean the world will beat a
            path to your door. Didn't anyone here ever see the movie "Tucker"?

            ttyl
            Brian C.
          • Sridhar Ayengar
            ... That s probably an 8580. I once held a Jeep aloft with four of them and took a picture. World s stongest plastic. Peace... Sridhar
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              Brian Cirulnick wrote:
              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Giliberti"
              > <Starbase89@...> wrote:
              >> Nothing here.
              >> I'll probably end up using something more modern. Its really more
              > important
              >> that I find the manual.
              >>
              > -------------------------------
              >
              > Joe;
              >
              > It looks like this site:
              > http://gallery.guetech.org/hhgttg/hhgttg.html
              > has the manual as images you can load up and print out
              >
              > As for a PC with VGA out, I have an IBM PS/2 3630(????) or something,
              > which is a 386 16mhz micro-channel tower with a whopping 2 MB of ram.
              > And it weighs a lot. (3.5 inch floppy only)

              That's probably an 8580.

              I once held a Jeep aloft with four of them and took a picture. World's
              stongest plastic.

              Peace... Sridhar
            • Brian Cirulnick
              ... something, ... ram. ... World s ... Yeppers, that s the one. Built to survive a nuclear war. I d love to hack in a modern motherboard, but use the original
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
              • 0 Attachment
                > Brian Cirulnick wrote:
                > > As for a PC with VGA out, I have an IBM PS/2 3630(????) or
                something,
                > > which is a 386 16mhz micro-channel tower with a whopping 2 MB of
                ram.
                > > And it weighs a lot. (3.5 inch floppy only)


                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar
                <ploopster@...> wrote:
                > That's probably an 8580.
                >
                > I once held a Jeep aloft with four of them and took a picture.
                World's
                > stongest plastic.

                -------

                Yeppers, that's the one. Built to survive a nuclear war. I'd love to
                hack in a modern motherboard, but use the original power supply, and
                then make that my main PC.

                I'd never again use anything else, just out of sheer coolness.

                I just need to find the free time for such a project. In the
                meantime, the damn thing gets to hold up boxes my cats sleep on.

                ttyl
                Brian C.
              • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
                I have a vintage DOS box, two infact both 8088 s. One is an original IBM but it will only take the smallist cards on its bus. I believe they only had eight
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
                • 0 Attachment
                  I have a vintage DOS box, two infact both 8088's. One is an original
                  IBM but it will only take the smallist cards on its bus. I believe
                  they only had eight bit input and output. The other is later, an ACER
                  700 series.
                  bs


                  On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, Jim Scheef wrote:

                  > Joe,
                  >
                  > Do you have a "vintage looking DOSbox"? I may have a VGA display card that would work. Let me know and I'll start digging.
                  >
                  > Jim
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > ----- Original Message ----
                  > From: Joe Giliberti <Starbase89@...>
                  > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                  > Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:20:55 PM
                  > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Last Request: HHGttG Manual in PDF or something
                  >
                  >
                  > I'm also on the lookout for a vintage looking DOSbox that has a VGA out so I can hookup to my 22" monitor. Otherwise I'll end up using a 90's Dell. *makes sound of disgust*
                  >
                  > Joe
                  >
                  >
                  > On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:17 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Another good move. Sometimes wide ideas are good exhibits; other
                  > times it's brilliant to focus on just one thing.
                  >
                  > I
                  > personally have very fond childhood memories of playing H2G2 on my
                  > //e...!
                  > -----Original Message-----
                  > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Joe Giliberti
                  > Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:12 PM
                  > To: midatlanticretro
                  > Subject: [midatlanticretro] Last Request: HHGttG Manual in PDF or something
                  >
                  >
                  > I've decided to focus my exhibit solely on the HHGttG text adventure, as I believe it to be the most widely recognized. It will make it a lot easier as far as displays and computers. I am looking for the manual, preferably in PDF or another digital doc, for the game.
                  >
                  >
                • Herb Johnson
                  ... I understand your point about relative mistakes. Can you understand a point about relative failure ? Gary Kildall s company was started on a kitchen table
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
                  • 0 Attachment
                    "Brian Cirulnick" <techrat@...> wrote:

                    > As for the CP/M versus DOS debate, I doubt anyone here actually *likes*
                    > Bill Gates... But, to quote someone else, the reason Microsoft is
                    > successful and other characters/companies in the history of computers
                    > have failed is because those guys made more mistakes than Microsoft did.
                    >
                    > Building a better mousetrap doesn't really mean the world will beat a
                    > path to your door. Didn't anyone here ever see the movie "Tucker"?
                    >
                    > ttyl
                    > Brian C.
                    >

                    I understand your point about relative mistakes. Can you understand a
                    point about relative "failure"? Gary Kildall's company was started on
                    a kitchen table with his wife in 1975. In 1990 it was sold to Novell
                    for $150 MILLION dollars - that's $250M in today's dollars. Explain to
                    me how that is a "failure"? Only to those who measure success in the
                    billions of dollars.

                    But that point aside, CP/M *mattered* in its time and place. That time
                    was not just a few years on the IMSAI, Kaypro, Osborne; but as part of
                    a line of products. It and products of the era, set the stage where
                    IBM - and Microsoft - "succeeded". History is like that. I think that
                    makes history worth studying, worth preserving.

                    Herb Johnson
                    retrotechnology.com
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.