Re: [midatlanticretro] Last Request: HHGttG Manual in PDF or something

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
      Joe,

      Do you have a "vintage looking DOSbox"? I may have a VGA display card that would work. Let me know and I'll start digging.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
        Nothing here.
        I'll probably end up using something more modern. Its really more important that I find the manual.

        Joe

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
          Message
          I'll send you an email with contacts for some gaming experts who may be able to help you.

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
            It's almost 2AM.. I am not completely done my Apple II Biorhythm program, but at this point it's respectable and only usability tweaks are needed.  The hardest part is plotting points with the SIN function and there are scant examples to work from.  I decided to use a single centered sin wave and just plot the three measurements for physical, emotional, and intellectual at their respective locations on the wave for the given day.  It'll work, although I would prefer to display three sin waves as is most often done.  The calculations are correct which is most important..

            Joe - Why not use one of MARCH's C-64's if you're doing a text adventure?    Get a working system first, THEN build an exhibit around it.  That's my advice to you.  You can always simply open the manual and write a short program to demo POKES and PEEKS.

            Bill

            Evan Koblentz wrote:
            Message
            Can anyone proactively help Joe?  This is his very first VCF exhibit and we should all help him make it successful.

            I've decided to focus my exhibit solely on the HHGttG text adventure, as I believe it to be the most widely recognized. It will make it a lot easier as far as displays and computers. I am looking for the manual, preferably in PDF or another digital doc, for the game.

          • Brian Cirulnick
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Giliberti"
              <Starbase89@...> wrote:

              > Nothing here.
              > I'll probably end up using something more modern. Its really more
              important
              > that I find the manual.

              -------------------------------

              Joe;

              It looks like this site:
              http://gallery.guetech.org/hhgttg/hhgttg.html
              has the manual as images you can load up and print out

              As for a PC with VGA out, I have an IBM PS/2 3630(????) or something,
              which is a 386 16mhz micro-channel tower with a whopping 2 MB of ram.
              And it weighs a lot. (3.5 inch floppy only)

              Everything else I have is either CGA or too new to appear vintage.

              As for the CP/M versus DOS debate, I doubt anyone here actually *likes*
              Bill Gates... But, to quote someone else, the reason Microsoft is
              successful and other characters/companies in the history of computers
              have failed is because those guys made more mistakes than Microsoft did.

              Building a better mousetrap doesn't really mean the world will beat a
              path to your door. Didn't anyone here ever see the movie "Tucker"?

              ttyl
              Brian C.
            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
                Brian Cirulnick wrote:
                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Giliberti"
                > <Starbase89@...> wrote:
                >> Nothing here.
                >> I'll probably end up using something more modern. Its really more
                > important
                >> that I find the manual.
                >>
                > -------------------------------
                >
                > Joe;
                >
                > It looks like this site:
                > http://gallery.guetech.org/hhgttg/hhgttg.html
                > has the manual as images you can load up and print out
                >
                > As for a PC with VGA out, I have an IBM PS/2 3630(????) or something,
                > which is a 386 16mhz micro-channel tower with a whopping 2 MB of ram.
                > And it weighs a lot. (3.5 inch floppy only)

                That's probably an 8580.

                I once held a Jeep aloft with four of them and took a picture. World's
                stongest plastic.

                Peace... Sridhar
              • Brian Cirulnick
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar
                  <ploopster@...> wrote:
                  > That's probably an 8580.
                  >
                  > I once held a Jeep aloft with four of them and took a picture.
                  World's
                  > stongest plastic.

                  -------

                  Yeppers, that's the one. Built to survive a nuclear war. I'd love to
                  hack in a modern motherboard, but use the original power supply, and
                  then make that my main PC.

                  I'd never again use anything else, just out of sheer coolness.

                  I just need to find the free time for such a project. In the
                  meantime, the damn thing gets to hold up boxes my cats sleep on.

                  ttyl
                  Brian C.
                • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
                    I have a vintage DOS box, two infact both 8088's. One is an original
                    IBM but it will only take the smallist cards on its bus. I believe
                    they only had eight bit input and output. The other is later, an ACER
                    700 series.
                    bs

                    On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, Jim Scheef wrote:

                    > Joe,
                    >
                    > Do you have a "vintage looking DOSbox"? I may have a VGA display card that would work. Let me know and I'll start digging.
                    >
                    > Jim

                  • Herb Johnson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
                      "Brian Cirulnick" <techrat@...> wrote:

                      > As for the CP/M versus DOS debate, I doubt anyone here actually *likes*
                      > Bill Gates... But, to quote someone else, the reason Microsoft is
                      > successful and other characters/companies in the history of computers
                      > have failed is because those guys made more mistakes than Microsoft did.
                      >
                      > Building a better mousetrap doesn't really mean the world will beat a
                      > path to your door. Didn't anyone here ever see the movie "Tucker"?
                      >
                      > ttyl
                      > Brian C.

                      I understand your point about relative mistakes. Can you understand a
                      point about relative "failure"? Gary Kildall's company was started on
                      a kitchen table with his wife in 1975. In 1990 it was sold to Novell
                      for $150 MILLION dollars - that's $250M in today's dollars. Explain to
                      me how that is a "failure"? Only to those who measure success in the
                      billions of dollars.

                      But that point aside, CP/M *mattered* in its time and place. That time
                      was not just a few years on the IMSAI, Kaypro, Osborne; but as part of
                      a line of products. It and products of the era, set the stage where
                      IBM - and Microsoft - "succeeded". History is like that. I think that
                      makes history worth studying, worth preserving.

                      Herb Johnson
                      retrotechnology.com