Last Request: HHGttG Manual in PDF or something

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
      I've decided to focus my exhibit solely on the HHGttG text adventure, as I believe it to be the most widely recognized. It will make it a lot easier as far as displays and computers. I am looking for the manual, preferably in PDF or another digital doc, for the game.
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
        Message
        Another good move.  Sometimes wide ideas are good exhibits; other times it's brilliant to focus on just one thing.

        I personally have very fond childhood memories of playing H2G2 on my //e...!
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
          I'm also on the lookout for a vintage looking DOSbox that has a VGA out so I can hookup to my 22" monitor. Otherwise I'll end up using a 90's Dell. *makes sound of disgust*

          Joe

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
            Message
            Can anyone proactively help Joe?  This is his very first VCF exhibit and we should all help him make it successful.

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
              Joe,

              Do you have a "vintage looking DOSbox"? I may have a VGA display card that would work. Let me know and I'll start digging.

              Jim

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
                Nothing here.
                I'll probably end up using something more modern. Its really more important that I find the manual.

                Joe

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
                  Message
                  I'll send you an email with contacts for some gaming experts who may be able to help you.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
                    It's almost 2AM.. I am not completely done my Apple II Biorhythm program, but at this point it's respectable and only usability tweaks are needed.  The hardest part is plotting points with the SIN function and there are scant examples to work from.  I decided to use a single centered sin wave and just plot the three measurements for physical, emotional, and intellectual at their respective locations on the wave for the given day.  It'll work, although I would prefer to display three sin waves as is most often done.  The calculations are correct which is most important..

                    Joe - Why not use one of MARCH's C-64's if you're doing a text adventure?    Get a working system first, THEN build an exhibit around it.  That's my advice to you.  You can always simply open the manual and write a short program to demo POKES and PEEKS.

                    Bill

                    Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    Message
                    Can anyone proactively help Joe?  This is his very first VCF exhibit and we should all help him make it successful.

                    I've decided to focus my exhibit solely on the HHGttG text adventure, as I believe it to be the most widely recognized. It will make it a lot easier as far as displays and computers. I am looking for the manual, preferably in PDF or another digital doc, for the game.

                  • Brian Cirulnick
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Giliberti"
                      <Starbase89@...> wrote:

                      > Nothing here.
                      > I'll probably end up using something more modern. Its really more
                      important
                      > that I find the manual.

                      -------------------------------

                      Joe;

                      It looks like this site:
                      http://gallery.guetech.org/hhgttg/hhgttg.html
                      has the manual as images you can load up and print out

                      As for a PC with VGA out, I have an IBM PS/2 3630(????) or something,
                      which is a 386 16mhz micro-channel tower with a whopping 2 MB of ram.
                      And it weighs a lot. (3.5 inch floppy only)

                      Everything else I have is either CGA or too new to appear vintage.

                      As for the CP/M versus DOS debate, I doubt anyone here actually *likes*
                      Bill Gates... But, to quote someone else, the reason Microsoft is
                      successful and other characters/companies in the history of computers
                      have failed is because those guys made more mistakes than Microsoft did.

                      Building a better mousetrap doesn't really mean the world will beat a
                      path to your door. Didn't anyone here ever see the movie "Tucker"?

                      ttyl
                      Brian C.
                    • Sridhar Ayengar
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
                        Brian Cirulnick wrote:
                        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Giliberti"
                        > <Starbase89@...> wrote:
                        >> Nothing here.
                        >> I'll probably end up using something more modern. Its really more
                        > important
                        >> that I find the manual.
                        >>
                        > -------------------------------
                        >
                        > Joe;
                        >
                        > It looks like this site:
                        > http://gallery.guetech.org/hhgttg/hhgttg.html
                        > has the manual as images you can load up and print out
                        >
                        > As for a PC with VGA out, I have an IBM PS/2 3630(????) or something,
                        > which is a 386 16mhz micro-channel tower with a whopping 2 MB of ram.
                        > And it weighs a lot. (3.5 inch floppy only)

                        That's probably an 8580.

                        I once held a Jeep aloft with four of them and took a picture. World's
                        stongest plastic.

                        Peace... Sridhar
                      • Brian Cirulnick
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008

                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar
                          <ploopster@...> wrote:
                          > That's probably an 8580.
                          >
                          > I once held a Jeep aloft with four of them and took a picture.
                          World's
                          > stongest plastic.

                          -------

                          Yeppers, that's the one. Built to survive a nuclear war. I'd love to
                          hack in a modern motherboard, but use the original power supply, and
                          then make that my main PC.

                          I'd never again use anything else, just out of sheer coolness.

                          I just need to find the free time for such a project. In the
                          meantime, the damn thing gets to hold up boxes my cats sleep on.

                          ttyl
                          Brian C.
                        • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
                            I have a vintage DOS box, two infact both 8088's. One is an original
                            IBM but it will only take the smallist cards on its bus. I believe
                            they only had eight bit input and output. The other is later, an ACER
                            700 series.
                            bs

                            On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, Jim Scheef wrote:

                            > Joe,
                            >
                            > Do you have a "vintage looking DOSbox"? I may have a VGA display card that would work. Let me know and I'll start digging.
                            >
                            > Jim

                          • Herb Johnson
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
                              "Brian Cirulnick" <techrat@...> wrote:

                              > As for the CP/M versus DOS debate, I doubt anyone here actually *likes*
                              > Bill Gates... But, to quote someone else, the reason Microsoft is
                              > successful and other characters/companies in the history of computers
                              > have failed is because those guys made more mistakes than Microsoft did.
                              >
                              > Building a better mousetrap doesn't really mean the world will beat a
                              > path to your door. Didn't anyone here ever see the movie "Tucker"?
                              >
                              > ttyl
                              > Brian C.

                              I understand your point about relative mistakes. Can you understand a
                              point about relative "failure"? Gary Kildall's company was started on
                              a kitchen table with his wife in 1975. In 1990 it was sold to Novell
                              for $150 MILLION dollars - that's $250M in today's dollars. Explain to
                              me how that is a "failure"? Only to those who measure success in the
                              billions of dollars.

                              But that point aside, CP/M *mattered* in its time and place. That time
                              was not just a few years on the IMSAI, Kaypro, Osborne; but as part of
                              a line of products. It and products of the era, set the stage where
                              IBM - and Microsoft - "succeeded". History is like that. I think that
                              makes history worth studying, worth preserving.

                              Herb Johnson
                              retrotechnology.com