AWESOME day at the museum today

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 30, 2008
      Message
      Hi all,

      Chris L. and I got to the museum at 1 today and stayed until about 9 at night.  Joe G. joined us fo the first couple of hours and Jeff J. joined us for the last couple of hours.  InfoAge's Steve G. also helped for several hours.

      By the way -- Chris, Joe, Jeff, and Steve have all been a huge help these past few weeks, each giving up several weekend days, in order to help the club get ready for VCF East.  They all helped with a lot of boring tasks and serious grunt work.  Woot!

      ... And it sure is worthwhile.  Two or three weeks ago, the task still largely felt overwhelming.  Last week, we reach the top of a mountain of work and could see over the hump.  Today, it was all downhill, in that we spent the latter 3/4th of the day assembling exhibits.

      Right now, two of the first four exhibits are fully "placed", i.e. the computers are in position.  (That's for the 70s/80s microcomputer exhibit and the "random MARCH highlights" exhibit, which includes the DEC sub-exhibit.)

      For these, we just need to plug in the cables for the machines that are known to be operational, and put up some posters, etc.

      I wil individually take care of the Computing of Camp Evans & the Military exhibit.

      Setting up the "local" exhibit will be easier -- it's just one small, square room -- and the hardware we're putting in there is mostly ready to go.

      I desperately wish that we had another month to work on all this, but we don't, so we'll just do the best we can in the time available.  We will explain to VCF visitors that, hey, it's beta!  -- And that they can help us by donating funds or volunteering labor.

      Chris had a good idea before we left -- a video tour of the first exhibit room (not including the unfinished Camp Evans exhibit -- using the camcorder feature of his 7.1-mp digital camera.  We actually made three or four "takes" of the 4-minute video before deciding that, like everything else, it was "good enough" for this phase of the museum project.  Chris is putting it on YouTube and, with any luck, it will be ready for viewing tonight (and will drum up more interest in MARCH, InfoAge, and the VCF).

      I or Chris will post the link when it's ready.

      - Evan
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 30, 2008
        Message

        I want to re-record it another time.  I talked too fast, the video quality is very choppy (anyone have a real camcorder?), I mis-spoke a few times, that t-shirt makes me look fat, and the video itself moves around too much (anyone have a tripod on wheels?) ..... I guess we'll live it posted for now, but I definitely think we can do a lot better in the future!!

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 30, 2008
          Message
          I think the video would be a lot better if I write a script and someone else gets in front of the camera.  We should find an attractive, pleasant, smiling woman who's comfortable in front of a camera.  I'm serious about that!  Anyone care to nominate a friend, girlfriend, or wife, who's a good sport about these sorts of things?

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 30, 2008
            Evan et al,
               Cool!  So far my contacts with MARCH have been via this group and conversations with Claude Kagan.  The YouTube video has made it all seem so much more "reaL".  I'll be glad when I can make it up to help with work on the museum.

                                                               Stan

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 30, 2008
              Message
              >>> The YouTube video has made it all seem so much more "real"

              That's exactly what we wanted to accomplish!  The idea is that people inside and outside of MARCH will see the video and say, "Holy cow, I have to go there" .... thanks for sharing your feedback, Stan.

              Big kudos to Chris for coming up with the idea.

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 31, 2008
                The original video is a lot less choppy and looks great but it's 160MB... Anyone want to host it?