Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: IBM RS/6000 available

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 30, 2008
      mejeep_ferret wrote:
      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Herb Johnson"
      > <herbjohnson@...> wrote:
      >> ... I stand behind my comment:
      >> anyone interested in use of this machine or its parts
      >
      > Sadly, I have absolutely no space for it.
      >
      > Secondly, having (or being near it) would trigger intense love/hate
      > feelings about the system. You see, I consulted to IBM's Kingston NY
      > facility in 1990 for their mainframe AIX system. They were so bogged
      > down in politics that it was a miracle that any work was ever done,
      > whereas the R/S 6000 came from the Austin Texas division where they
      > were free to create and deliver a leading edge high quality system.
      > The envy never died.

      It did, eventually, because the manufacturing plant at Austin closed and
      RS/6000 manufacturing was moved to Poughkeepsie. Kingston was closed
      too, and RS/6000 SP manufacturing was *also* moved to Poughkeepsie.

      I think the small RS/6000s are now made in India, but large RS/6000s,
      RS/6000 blades and SP systems are still made in Poughkeepsie. Blue Gene
      systems are made in Rochester, MN.

      Peace... Sridhar