Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Umm...Fudge!

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 28, 2008
      I'm guessing you didn't have tachs installed back then, huh?

      I'm sorry that I was short with you, Jim. Today has not been a good one.

      On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 9:41 PM, Stan Brewer <brewers@...> wrote:

      It reminds me for the Beep Beep (Little Nash Rambler) song.

      Instead of 2nd gear in the song, I hear 1st gear.  : )

        I once had a 71 Mustang Mach One with a 351 Cleveland 4 barrel.  A couple of friends in the car when one asked, "What will this car do?"  At around 25 MPH in 3rd gear, I dropped her to 1st and floored it.  The front of the car started to rise up.....then nothing.  It just died.  Turned over, but would not try to start.  Opened the hood, looked into the carb and hit the accelerator, was getting gas.  Pulled a spark plug wire and placed it next to the valve cover, while a friend turned her over...nothing.  Pulled the distributor cap off and frantically tried to catch all the little parts.  The weights on the centrifugal advance had sheared their pins and the distributor just fell to pieces.  Ford said that would happen if their distributors hit over 7500 RPM.  Remember, that's on a V8, where 3000 RPM in 3rd would yield 90 MPH.

      Jim Scheef wrote:

      You get what you deserve when you run a car with 162K to it's redline in any gear. Unless, of course, you plan to junk it at 163K. Did you at least check all the fluid levels before you did the drag strip thing? How about changing the engine oil and filter? A trans that is running hot or is low on fluid, will die - and soon. High mileage performance cars are always a risk, but of course you knew that. Hopefully the car will be ok if it is driven conservatively.