IBM RS/6000 available

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 27 10:31 AM
      Some people on this list are interested in IBM PS/2 and related
      technology. HEre's what I picked up today:

      IBM RS/6000 system, PowerServer 590
      (c) 1989
      CD-ROM, tape cartridge drive, 3.5" floppy drive
      no keys to back panel or power switch
      weight over 100 pounds - WILL NOT SHIP - Trenton NJ area

      I'll check it out and see what it has. Contact me privately at the
      email addresses below for more information and to negotiate a price.

      Herb Johnson

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/ sales web site
      -- old Mac, S-100, 1970's & 80's computers, 8-inch floppy
      http://www.retrotechnology.com/ retro-technology home pages
      -- S-100, CP/M history by "Dr. S-100"
      -- other old tech in iron, glass, rock
      domain mirror: retrotechnology.net
      email: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 27 10:49 AM
        Herb Johnson wrote:
        > Some people on this list are interested in IBM PS/2 and related
        > technology. HEre's what I picked up today:
        >
        > IBM RS/6000 system, PowerServer 590
        > (c) 1989
        > CD-ROM, tape cartridge drive, 3.5" floppy drive
        > no keys to back panel or power switch
        > weight over 100 pounds - WILL NOT SHIP - Trenton NJ area
        >
        > I'll check it out and see what it has. Contact me privately at the
        > email addresses below for more information and to negotiate a price.

        Kind-of sucks without the keys.

        Peace... Sridhar
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 28 8:03 AM

          Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

          > Kind-of sucks without the keys.

          Keys are not a serious problem. The rear keylock is mechanical and was
          unlocked. The front keylock is electrical and set to "normal". I've
          opened the unit and have physical access to all parts. If you have a
          serious interest contact me privately for terms and details.

          For those interested, the unit has Micro Channel cards:
          Ethernet Bus Master Adapter FRU 00G3368
          Differential SCSI card (no SCSI drives)
          GT4XI 24-bit video card set 52G1343 11H4913
          -- the video connector is unique, not VGA-like.

          There are four memory cards with 72-pin ECC memory SIMMs.

          It's a Power2 66.5MHz processor, a system from 1993. Too "new" for
          MARCH. It will be parted out if I cannot sell it, but it's too common
          and large to ship for what it is worth.

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 28 8:16 AM
            Herb Johnson wrote:
            > GT4XI 24-bit video card set 52G1343 11H4913

            If no-one wants the system, I'd be interested in that video card.

            Peace... Sridhar
          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 28 9:10 AM
              Herb Johnson wrote:
              > Keys are not a serious problem. The rear keylock is mechanical and was
              > unlocked. The front keylock is electrical and set to "normal". I've

              BTW, it still sucks without the key, because the front keylock will need
              to be cut out and replaced with a rotary switch in order for the machine
              to work properly. The machine will definitely need to be put into
              Service mode at least once when you get it.

              Peace... Sridhar
            • Bill Sudbrink
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 28 10:24 AM
                Sridhar Ayengar Wrote:
                > Herb Johnson wrote:
                > > Keys are not a serious problem. The rear keylock is mechanical and was
                > > unlocked. The front keylock is electrical and set to "normal". I've
                >
                > BTW, it still sucks without the key, because the front keylock will need
                > to be cut out and replaced with a rotary switch in order for the machine
                > to work properly. The machine will definitely need to be put into
                > Service mode at least once when you get it.

                With physical access to the inside of the machine, I doubt that
                it would be difficult to remove the lock mechanism. You can
                then take the mechanism to a good locksmith and have a key made.
                I have done this for a couple of my altair 8800bt boxes.
              • Sridhar Ayengar
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 28 11:10 AM
                  Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                  > Sridhar Ayengar Wrote:
                  >> Herb Johnson wrote:
                  >>> Keys are not a serious problem. The rear keylock is mechanical and was
                  >>> unlocked. The front keylock is electrical and set to "normal". I've
                  >> BTW, it still sucks without the key, because the front keylock will need
                  >> to be cut out and replaced with a rotary switch in order for the machine
                  >> to work properly. The machine will definitely need to be put into
                  >> Service mode at least once when you get it.
                  >
                  > With physical access to the inside of the machine, I doubt that
                  > it would be difficult to remove the lock mechanism. You can
                  > then take the mechanism to a good locksmith and have a key made.
                  > I have done this for a couple of my altair 8800bt boxes.

                  Without the tags, the locksmith SHOULD NOT make the key for you. It's a
                  Medeco lock, and they have rules to that effect.

                  Peace... Sridhar
                • Bill Sudbrink
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 28 11:38 AM
                    Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                    > Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                    > > Sridhar Ayengar Wrote:
                    > >> BTW, it still sucks without the key, because the front keylock
                    > will need
                    > >> to be cut out and replaced with a rotary switch in order for
                    > the machine
                    > >> to work properly. The machine will definitely need to be put into
                    > >> Service mode at least once when you get it.
                    > >
                    > > With physical access to the inside of the machine, I doubt that
                    > > it would be difficult to remove the lock mechanism. You can
                    > > then take the mechanism to a good locksmith and have a key made.
                    > > I have done this for a couple of my altair 8800bt boxes.
                    >
                    > Without the tags, the locksmith SHOULD NOT make the key for you. It's a
                    > Medeco lock, and they have rules to that effect.

                    Um, I think you're thinking backwards. Yes, most locksmiths will not
                    copy a medeco _key_ BUT you have the _cylinder_ in your possession. If
                    he won't make a key to the existing pins (For possible security reasons,
                    I can see why he might not. There may be other matching cylinders that
                    he would be unwittingly giving you access to.), he should be able to repin
                    it and produce a key for the new pins.
                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 28 12:06 PM
                      Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                      >> will need
                      >> the machine
                      >>> With physical access to the inside of the machine, I doubt that
                      >>> it would be difficult to remove the lock mechanism. You can
                      >>> then take the mechanism to a good locksmith and have a key made.
                      >>> I have done this for a couple of my altair 8800bt boxes.
                      >> Without the tags, the locksmith SHOULD NOT make the key for you. It's a
                      >> Medeco lock, and they have rules to that effect.
                      >
                      > Um, I think you're thinking backwards. Yes, most locksmiths will not
                      > copy a medeco _key_ BUT you have the _cylinder_ in your possession. If

                      They won't even cut a key for a lock you have in your hand.

                      > he won't make a key to the existing pins (For possible security reasons,
                      > I can see why he might not. There may be other matching cylinders that

                      Yes, he will not make a key for an existing lock without repinning.

                      > he would be unwittingly giving you access to.), he should be able to repin
                      > it and produce a key for the new pins.

                      Getting the lock repinned and new keys cut (which they *would* do) isn't
                      even close to being worth it financially. This machine is worth a few
                      dollars.

                      Peace... Sridhar
                    • Stan Brewer
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 28 6:44 PM
                        Need a good Hardware hacker!  : )

                                             Stan

                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 29 11:16 AM
                          Thanks to all for a discussion of locks and keys. I stand behind my
                          comment: anyone interested in use of this machine or its parts can
                          work around the electrical key. They can use the other parts, they can
                          bypass the key mechanism.

                          So far, the net response to the question "is this system of interest?"
                          has been "I want the video card". Thank you.

                          Herb Johnson
                          retrotechnology.com
                        • mejeep_ferret
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 29 9:36 PM
                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Herb Johnson"
                            <herbjohnson@...> wrote:
                            > ... I stand behind my comment:
                            > anyone interested in use of this machine or its parts

                            Sadly, I have absolutely no space for it.

                            Secondly, having (or being near it) would trigger intense love/hate
                            feelings about the system. You see, I consulted to IBM's Kingston NY
                            facility in 1990 for their mainframe AIX system. They were so bogged
                            down in politics that it was a miracle that any work was ever done,
                            whereas the R/S 6000 came from the Austin Texas division where they
                            were free to create and deliver a leading edge high quality system.
                            The envy never died.
                          • Herb Johnson
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 30 7:48 AM
                              Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

                              > Herb Johnson wrote:
                              > > GT4XI 24-bit video card set 52G1343 11H4913
                              >
                              > If no-one wants the system, I'd be interested in that video card.
                              >
                              > Peace... Sridhar

                              Contact me *privately* for terms. My email addresses are below; I
                              often include them with my posts here. I am never sure if email
                              addresses for publically posted messages are "write only" or throwaway
                              addresses to divert spam.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 30 12:17 PM
                                mejeep_ferret wrote:
                                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Herb Johnson"
                                > <herbjohnson@...> wrote:
                                >> ... I stand behind my comment:
                                >> anyone interested in use of this machine or its parts
                                >
                                > Sadly, I have absolutely no space for it.
                                >
                                > Secondly, having (or being near it) would trigger intense love/hate
                                > feelings about the system. You see, I consulted to IBM's Kingston NY
                                > facility in 1990 for their mainframe AIX system. They were so bogged
                                > down in politics that it was a miracle that any work was ever done,
                                > whereas the R/S 6000 came from the Austin Texas division where they
                                > were free to create and deliver a leading edge high quality system.
                                > The envy never died.

                                It did, eventually, because the manufacturing plant at Austin closed and
                                RS/6000 manufacturing was moved to Poughkeepsie. Kingston was closed
                                too, and RS/6000 SP manufacturing was *also* moved to Poughkeepsie.

                                I think the small RS/6000s are now made in India, but large RS/6000s,
                                RS/6000 blades and SP systems are still made in Poughkeepsie. Blue Gene
                                systems are made in Rochester, MN.

                                Peace... Sridhar