OT: Umm...Fudge!

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 26, 2008
      I just bought a car, a 1992 Subaru SVX. It test drove fine, had no leaks, title was clean, and I was perfectly all right with buying it "as is where is" from the private owner.

      Looking back on it, I ask myself "What the fudge did I do?"

      On the drive home today, I floored it in first gear. When it got to the redline, it kind of just stayed there. Tries to shift, then gives up and slips, over and over until I let off the gas. I ended up hitting 7500RPM on a car with a 7000 red line, in first gear.

      So, anyone know of a good, honest transmission or Subaru shop in NJ?

      Thanks
      Joe
    • Brian Cirulnick
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 26, 2008
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Giliberti"
        <Starbase89@...> wrote:

        > On the drive home today, I floored it in first gear. When it got to
        the
        > redline, it kind of just stayed there. Tries to shift, then gives
        up and
        > slips, over and over until I let off the gas. I ended up hitting
        7500RPM on
        > a car with a 7000 red line, in first gear.

        -----------------

        You bought a car that was either used in street racing or a car that
        was abused at the track. You might be better off swapping out the
        entire trans. But that's just a guess, as I don't have much
        information to work with (you didn't even say how many miles that car
        has), so I'm going with the worst case scenario.

        A lot of these modern cars have an oil cooler for the trans. Make
        sure that's working. If it's overheating the trans, that could also
        account for the problem.

        And last, but not least, because it's a Subaru -- those suckers are
        AWD, but it's all computer controlled and the computer could be the
        root cause of the issue. If your battery/charging system isn't
        providing the correct voltages, the computer could be sending the
        trans the wrong signals.

        This is why I'm building my next car, and avoiding all those complex
        issues.
      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 26, 2008
          Miles are 165k.
          It had an aftermarket trans cooler installed years ago, as overheating was a failure point of this particular trans.
          A new (rebuilt) unit, w/o labor, is $1900. Considering it has the basic layout of a RWD car with the trans behind the engine, I *think*, give a month in the garage, I could replace it myself.

          <Starbase89@...> wrote:

          > On the drive home today, I floored it in first gear. When it got to
          the
          > redline, it kind of just stayed there. Tries to shift, then gives
          up and
          > slips, over and over until I let off the gas. I ended up hitting
          7500RPM on
          > a car with a 7000 red line, in first gear.

          -----------------

          You bought a car that was either used in street racing or a car that
          was abused at the track. You might be better off swapping out the
          entire trans. But that's just a guess, as I don't have much
          information to work with (you didn't even say how many miles that car
          has), so I'm going with the worst case scenario.

          A lot of these modern cars have an oil cooler for the trans. Make
          sure that's working. If it's overheating the trans, that could also
          account for the problem.

          And last, but not least, because it's a Subaru -- those suckers are
          AWD, but it's all computer controlled and the computer could be the
          root cause of the issue. If your battery/charging system isn't
          providing the correct voltages, the computer could be sending the
          trans the wrong signals.

          This is why I'm building my next car, and avoiding all those complex
          issues.

        • Stan Brewer
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 26, 2008
            Er,  Is it a Manual Transmission perhaps?  : )

            Seriously, I once had a 1951 Chrysler that had a fluid drive transmission.
            It had a gear shifter like an automatic, but it also had a clutch.
            Use the clutch to go between forward, neutral, and reverse.
            Once in forward, you gave it the gas, then when you were ready to shit to 2nd, you had to let up on the gas for a moment, then press it again, and it would shift into 2nd.  Same with 3rd.
            Wish I had kept it.  Would go great with my Burroughs B-205 Tape drives!  : )

                                                           Stan

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 26, 2008
                Joe Giliberti wrote:
                > I just bought a car, a 1992 Subaru SVX. It test drove fine, had no
                > leaks, title was clean, and I was perfectly all right with buying it "as
                > is where is" from the private owner.
                >
                > Looking back on it, I ask myself "What the fudge did I do?"
                >
                > On the drive home today, I floored it in first gear. When it got to the
                > redline, it kind of just stayed there. Tries to shift, then gives up and
                > slips, over and over until I let off the gas. I ended up hitting 7500RPM
                > on a car with a 7000 red line, in first gear.
                >
                > So, anyone know of a good, honest transmission or Subaru shop in NJ?

                AWD or FWD?

                Peace... Sridhar
              • Joe Giliberti
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 27, 2008
                  AWD

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 28, 2008
                    Joe,

                    You get what you deserve when you run a car with 162K to it's redline in any gear. Unless, of course, you plan to junk it at 163K. Did you at least check all the fluid levels before you did the drag strip thing? How about changing the engine oil and filter? A trans that is running hot or is low on fluid, will die - and soon. High mileage performance cars are always a risk, but of course you knew that. Hopefully the car will be ok if it is driven conservatively.

                    Jim

                    > I just bought a car, a 1992 Subaru SVX. It test drove fine, had no
                    > leaks, title was clean, and I was perfectly all right with buying it "as
                    > is where is" from the private owner.
                    >
                    > Looking back on it, I ask myself "What the fudge did I do?"
                    >
                    > On the drive home today, I floored it in first gear. When it got to the
                    > redline, it kind of just stayed there. Tries to shift, then gives up and
                    > slips, over and over until I let off the gas. I ended up hitting 7500RPM
                    > on a car with a 7000 red line, in first gear.
                    >
                    > So, anyone know of a good, honest transmission or Subaru shop in NJ?

                    AWD or FWD?

                    Peace...  Sridhar

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Joe Giliberti
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 28, 2008
                      Okay, Jim. Here's what I think your not getting:
                      Its an automatic transmission. When you floor it, it SHOULD NOT hit the red line unless its in park or neutral and one is just trying to impress people with the sound of an engine seizing. It SHOULD automatically shift to second right before it hits the red line.
                      I'm not drag racing it. I have no plans to. I just want to be able to get onto the Garden State Parkway and such without taking 15 seconds to get up to 60mph.

                      The fluids are all fine, including the oil and the dexron. The engine on this car is known to be pretty much bulletproof with regular maintenance, but the transmission tends to be iffy on this car. I knew that when I bought it, but did not see signs of impending failure.

                      Joe

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 28, 2008
                        It reminds me for the Beep Beep (Little Nash Rambler) song.
                        http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/folk-song-lyrics/Beep_Beep(Little_Nash_Rambler).htm

                        Instead of 2nd gear in the song, I hear 1st gear.  : )

                          I once had a 71 Mustang Mach One with a 351 Cleveland 4 barrel.  A couple of friends in the car when one asked, "What will this car do?"  At around 25 MPH in 3rd gear, I dropped her to 1st and floored it.  The front of the car started to rise up.....then nothing.  It just died.  Turned over, but would not try to start.  Opened the hood, looked into the carb and hit the accelerator, was getting gas.  Pulled a spark plug wire and placed it next to the valve cover, while a friend turned her over...nothing.  Pulled the distributor cap off and frantically tried to catch all the little parts.  The weights on the centrifugal advance had sheared their pins and the distributor just fell to pieces.  Ford said that would happen if their distributors hit over 7500 RPM.  Remember, that's on a V8, where 3000 RPM in 3rd would yield 90 MPH.

                                                           Stan

                            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/midatlanti cretro/join

                            mailto:midatlanticretro- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
                            mailto:midatlanticretro- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com