Re: Progress on 11/20 exhibit

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008
      http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

      As Evan posted, I delivered to MARCH the artifacts for the PDP-11/20
      exhibit. The Sony VAIO & Linux system was delivered, to show the
      videos produced by David Gesswein, who has also loaned MARCH a PDP-11
      card and original paper tape.

      Additionally, today I have received two PDP-11 paperback "handbooks"
      from Paul Popelka. He is a PDP-11 owner who contacted MARCH recently.
      The 1971 PDP-11 Processor Handbook includes the 11/20, that's an
      important edition. The Peripherals Handbook from 1973 is also
      appropriate to the 1970 PDP-11/20 on display. I'll confirm with him
      these are donations, not loans.

      Also placed with the exhibit, was a 1975 DEC "interfaces handbook"
      which was originally donated with other books to MARCH by Joe Giliberti.

      It was common in the 60's and 70's to offer minicomputer documentation
      in paperback form. These two books were essential to programmers and
      designers who used the PDP-11. I'm glad MARCH is able to exhibit
      these. While fragile after almost 40 years, and must be handled with
      care, now they can be read and enjoyed by visitors to the Exhibit.

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com