CHIP-8/C and VIPER

  • mikolaym
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25, 2008
      Hello!

      My name is Matt Mikolay, and I'm a writer for the PC World Online
      Community Voices blog. I have recently taken an interest in
      retrocomputing, specifically CHIP-8 and the COSMAC processor. I met
      Evan Koblentz a while ago at the Trenton Computer Festival, and
      remembering MARCH, I decided to join. I am currently looking for more
      information on the topic of CHIP-8 and the COSMAC VIP.

      I have come across two extensions for CHIP-8, the VIP color board and
      tone board. The color board provides a new version of CHIP-8 with
      color support, known as CHIP-8C, and the tone board adds support for
      256 tone sound. I am looking to get more information on these
      enhancements through anyone willing to help and any documentation I
      can find.

      If anyone has any manuals for these extensions, I am interested in
      buying them. I am also interested in purchasing issues of VIPER. I'll
      even purchase photocopies. I plan to scan, retype, and post the issues
      I can find on the internet, even if it takes me a while.

      Also, there are a few people I am trying to track down. Tom Swan is a
      former editor of VIPER, and published the book "PIPs for VIPs" through
      Aresco. I am looking to acquire his book and any information on him,
      as well as information on the whereabouts of Terry Laudereau (VIPER
      editor), Jack Wright, and J.W. Wentworth. I also understand that Joyce
      Weisbecker (the daughter of CHIP-8 creator Joseph Weisbecker) posted
      on this group a while ago. If anyone has any information on where to
      contact her, I would appreciate their help.

      Thank you!
      ~Matt Mikolay
      http://blogs.pcworld.com/communityvoices/
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 25, 2008
        Matt,

        Welcome aboard! It took a while to find it, but I just read your interview on Andrew Tannanbaum in the Community Voices blog. (Your actual name in the byline rather than a handle would make this easier, although perhaps the PC World search is just brain dead.) Do you write about computer history?

        Thanks,
        Jim

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 25, 2008
          Jim,

          I registered on PC World's site as MattMik, and unfortunately, that's
          all that has ever shown up in the byline. PC World's servers have been
          going crazy recently, and they are switching to a new blogging tool,
          so maybe that will change the bylines.

          I think I have written a few things about computer history before, but
          nothing big comes to mind. I would be interested, though, and PC World
          gives me freedom to write about pretty much anything I want. I did
          cover the Trenton Computer Festival. You can read my post at
          http://blogs.pcworld.com/communityvoices/archives/2008/04/adventures_at_t.html.
          I still feel bad that I though Evan Koblentz was someone else. I'll
          have to write an article specifically about MARCH just to make up for
          it. The Vintage Computer Festival sounds pretty interesting!

          Benj Edwards from vintagecomputing.com is actually going to let me
          write an article for his site about my search for CHIP-8 information,
          but it's been very hard to try to locate people in Oaxaca, Mexico who
          haven't been heard from since 1994 (Tom Swan).

          Thanks!
          ~Matt