Still more work at InfoAge / museum exhibits today

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 24, 2008
      Message
      Today it was me, Chris L., and Herb working on the exhibit rooms.

      Herb brought in his final PDP-11/20 materials.  Chris and I began putting tablecloths on tables (where else would they go).  Then we arranged six of the eight computers for the 70s/80s micro exhibit.  The other two (IBM 5150 PC, Commodore PET 2001) will be delivered soon by Bill Deg. and Bryan.

      We also spent a lot of time putting other computers in place and putting related materials (manuals, peripherals, etc.) under those computers' tables, although covered by the tablecloths.

      Doesn't sound like much on email but we actually got a lot accomplished today.

      Waiting for Steve to finish the tape between the new window covers.  Then we can put a lot more computers into their exhibit spots.
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 24, 2008
        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        Message
        Today it was me, Chris L., and Herb working on the exhibit rooms.

        Herb brought in his final PDP-11/20 materials.  Chris and I began putting tablecloths on tables (where else would they go).  Then we arranged six of the eight computers for the 70s/80s micro exhibit.  The other two (IBM 5150 PC, Commodore PET 2001) will be delivered soon by Bill Deg. and Bryan.

        We also spent a lot of time putting other computers in place and putting related materials (manuals, peripherals, etc.) under those computers' tables, although covered by the tablecloths.

        Doesn't sound like much on email but we actually got a lot accomplished today.

        Waiting for Steve to finish the tape between the new window covers.  Then we can put a lot more computers into their exhibit spots.
        _
        Great News.

        Today I finished the alpha version my AppleSoft BASIC program for calculating Biorhythms.  There is no MOD function in AppleSoft (floating point) BASIC, and variables can only be one letter.  I had to write a routine to calculate leap years without being able to call a MOD function, and my replacement method is to compare the integer value of the quotient with the original quotient.   I want to be able to plug any date from 1752 to 5000 AD to get a valid result.  I also used a lot of arrays to get around the limit to the number of available simultaneous variables.  There is a MOD function in the earlier Wosniak Interger BASIC, but its other limitations outweighed it's use.   I do plan to have at least one Apple Integer BASIC demo program available as well, for authenticity-sake.

        Anyway, blah blah blah it's fun to do vintage programming not just hardware for a change.

        I also hope to have a Pascal version of Biorhythm running by VCF E as well.

        The next thing I plan to do is finish the IBM PC exhibit display for MARCH.  Thanks again Evan, any details as to the dimensions, etc. please advise.

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 24, 2008
          Message
           >>> The next thing I plan to do is finish the IBM PC exhibit display for MARCH.  Thanks again Evan, any details as to the dimensions, etc. please advise.

          There is limited space for this.  Think 3 wide by 30 inches deep.  There will be more elbow room in the future as we expand into the third and fourth exhibit rooms.

          Joe had a good idea -- we could use display cases instead of tables for exhibits like this one, so that we'd have run in the middle section for manuals, accessories, software, etc. -- but I think we should save that idea for the future because right now we don't have enough * matching * display cases, and because the only way to get to the middle sections of those cases is through the back, which is a PITA (or which is a waste of space if we have to keep the cases a foot away from the walls).

          So, for this first wave of exhibits, we'll have to be picky and creative about what to include other than the actual computers.
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 25, 2008
            Evan Koblentz wrote:
            > for MARCH. Thanks again Evan, any details as to the dimensions, etc.
            > please advise.
            > There is limited space for this. Think 3 wide by 30 inches deep.
            > There will be more elbow room in the future as we expand into the
            > third and fourth exhibit rooms.
            > Joe had a good idea -- we could use display cases instead of tables
            > for exhibits like this one, so that we'd have run in the middle
            > section for manuals, accessories, software, etc. -- but I think we
            > should save that idea for the future because right now we don't have
            > enough * matching * display cases, and because the only way to get to
            > the middle sections of those cases is through the back, which is a
            > PITA (or which is a waste of space if we have to keep the cases a foot
            > away from the walls).
            > So, for this first wave of exhibits, we'll have to be picky and
            > creative about what to include other than the actual computers.

            How much wall space is available for a poster? Showing just the IBM PC
            with keyboard and monitor is fine, can I send you my text for review,
            what's next?
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 25, 2008
              Evan,

              As Bill works on his display, we need to think about signage for the other micros on display. What are they (inside specs as well as the name)? Why are they important? What was the original cost?

              Give me some names and model# specifics and I'll work on text for the signs.

              Jim

              > for MARCH.
              Thanks again Evan, any details as to the dimensions, etc.
              > please advise.
              > There is limited space for this.  Think 3 wide by 30 inches deep.
              > There will be more elbow room in the future as we expand into the
              > third and fourth exhibit rooms.
              > Joe had a good idea -- we could use display cases instead of tables
              > for exhibits like this one, so that we'd have run in the middle
              > section for manuals, accessories, software, etc. -- but I think we
              > should save that idea for the future because right now we don't have
              > enough * matching * display cases, and because the only way to get to
              > the middle sections of those cases is through the back, which is a
              > PITA (or which is a waste of space if we have to keep the cases a foot
              > away from the walls).
              > So, for this first wave of exhibits, we'll have to be picky and
              > creative about what to include
              other than the actual computers.

              How much wall space is available for a poster?  Showing just the IBM PC
              with keyboard and monitor is fine, can I send you my text for review,
              what's next?

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 25, 2008
                Evan,

                Let's look at putting the display cases on good sized casters, then they could go back to back in the middle of a room.

                Jim

                 >>> The next thing I plan to do is finish the IBM PC exhibit display for MARCH.  Thanks again Evan, any details as to the dimensions, etc. please advise.

                There is limited space for this.  Think 3 wide by 30 inches deep.  There will be more elbow room in the future as we expand into the third and fourth exhibit rooms.

                Joe had a good idea -- we could use display cases instead of tables for exhibits like this one, so that we'd have run in the middle section for manuals, accessories, software, etc. -- but I think we should save that idea for the future because right now we don't have enough * matching * display cases, and because the only way to get to the middle sections of those cases is through the back, which is a PITA (or which is a waste of space if we have to keep the cases a foot away from the walls).

                So, for this first wave of exhibits, we'll have to be picky and creative about what to include other than the actual computers.
              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 25, 2008
                  What's happening with the cctalk list? I haven't received any messages
                  since the 22nd, and when I logged into the site to check/change my
                  settings, it came back with a "disk space full" message.

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • Bryan Pope
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 25, 2008
                    Mike Loewen wrote:
                    > What's happening with the cctalk list? I haven't received any messages
                    > since the 22nd, and when I logged into the site to check/change my
                    > settings, it came back with a "disk space full" message.

                    It sounds like the same problem that happened about a month ago there,
                    when it was a week or more before the list started working again.

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan
                  • Bill Degnan
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 25, 2008
                      They need a more robust hosting plan. I offered, have not heard back.

                      > > What's happening with the cctalk list? I haven't received any messages
                      > > since the 22nd, and when I logged into the site to check/change my
                      > > settings, it came back with a "disk space full" message.
                      > >
                      > It sounds like the same problem that happened about a month ago there,
                      > when it was a week or more before the list started working again.

                    • Kelly Leavitt
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 25, 2008
                        Could also be an wink out due to some recent vitriol. Happend once a couple of months ago when someone started calling someone else names...

                        They need a more robust hosting plan. I offered, have not heard back.

                        > > What's happening with the cctalk list? I haven't received any messages
                        > > since the 22nd, and when I logged into the site to check/change my
                        > > settings, it came back with a "disk space full" message.
                        > >
                        > It sounds like the same problem that happened about a month ago there,
                        > when it was a week or more before the list started working again.

                      • Bill Sudbrink
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 25, 2008

                          Yes, that was my thought as well.

                          Could also be an wink out due to some recent vitriol. Happend once a couple of months ago when someone started calling someone else names...
                          They need a more robust hosting plan. I offered, have not heard back.

                          > > What's happening with the cctalk list? I haven't received any messages
                          > > since the 22nd, and when I logged into the site to check/change my
                          > > settings, it came back with a "disk space full" message.
                          > >
                          > It sounds like the same problem that happened about a month ago there,
                          > when it was a week or more before the list started working again.

                        • Christian Liendo
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 25, 2008
                            http://flickr.com/photos/mwichary/sets/72157603823734926/

                            The computer history section in Museum of Technology (Muzeum Techniki) in Warsaw, Poland.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 26, 2008
                              Chris,

                              Very nice find. I've been looking for a ZAM21!

                              Jim

                              The computer history section in Museum of Technology (Muzeum Techniki) in Warsaw, Poland.