new member intro

  • john_apw
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 14, 2005
      Hi,

      I'm John from Montclair, NJ (northeast), and I heard about this group
      from the cc-tech newsletter. I'm particularly interested in the
      musuem, as I had once thought to create one myself.

      I've been a computer hobbyist since about 1979, got into professional
      programming and systems design and out again, and still keep active on
      a hobbyist basis. I'm also into target shooting and small-scale model
      railroading, but not at the same time!

      For work, I consult to management (operations and supply-chain) and do
      a wide variety of technical and business writing.

      Around 1980, I built a Netronics ELF II kit and put it into a metal
      chassis with my own power supply. Then I built an interface board that
      enabled me to plug in two SWTC 4K dynamic RAM boards to the Elf bus. I
      messed around with CRT and ASCII keyboard, but when I got my TRS80 Mod
      1, I stopped playing with the Elf.

      Now I have TRS-80 Mods 1, 2, 3, and 4, 100, 200 (I think), and a
      couple of CoCo's. I had tricked out my old Model I with 64K RAM, a
      homebrew lowercase conversion, 2 double-sided 5.25 drives that decoded
      to drives 0-3, expansion unit with RS232, and some other stuff. Oh,
      yeah, I had also installed an Omikron Mapper. (I can't remember if I
      still have the CP/M disks.)

      I also have some TI 99/4a's, a C64, Pet, Vic20, Sinclair, and a bunch
      of early PCs (from originals to 286's, including a few different
      models of Compaq protables and a NEC laptop). I have two Apples (one's
      an SE, I don't recall the model of the other).

      I also have two oddball items that would need to be identified: one is
      a "clamshell" portable with applications programs in plugin
      cartridges, once used by IBM sales force. The other is, I think, a
      standalone print buffer.

      Lots of software. Some manuals. Odds & ends of parts.

      Stuff I had to give up along the way that I'm still upset about:
      Centronics 101A line printer, ASR33 teletype terminal with papertape
      reader/punch.

      I'd really like to hear what the plans are for the Museum. My idea was
      to have a "spec sheet" for each unit, telling production dates, CPU
      speed, RAM, ROM, original cost, etc. (Do you remember when Radio Shack
      sold their 5MB hard drive add-on for the TRS80? Do you remember what
      it cost? -- $5,000.00 in 1980 dollars!!!) Then I wanted to create
      a "comparative index" that would relate the relative power of each
      unit, so that they could be compared to whatever machines are
      available today. The Index would have to be constructed so as to allow
      ongoing comparsions to machines not yet created... I have some old
      magazines from the early 80s and I was going to cut out advertisments
      and put them into those hard-plastic sheet displays that Staples
      sells...

      Well, anyway, that's my intro.

      I tend to read a lot but not write much. So I'll be hanging around.
      (Also, I get the digest rather than individual emails, so my replies
      to current topics may be a day or two late... If you need to contact
      me in a timely manner, use my direct email.)

      Thanks for creating this forum, and for being so close to home!

      Let me know if anyone needs help with rescue missions - I have a
      station wagon and am willing to help out in the NY/NJ metro area. (I
      might be tempted to eastern PA with appropriate offerings of beer and
      pizza!)

      -John
    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 14, 2005
        Hey John. Tell us more about the clambake portable.
        And what scale are you into? TT here.
        --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 14, 2005

          John, first, welcome to the group!

          I have the same question as Chris -- tell us more about this IBM device?

          I specialize in vintage handhelds (see my research at http://www.snarc.net/pda/pda-treatise.htm) and live close to you in Springfield.

           - Evan

          <infomagic@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm John from Montclair, NJ (northeast), and
          I heard
          about this group
          > from the cc-tech newsletter. I'm
          particularly
          interested in the
          > musuem, as I had once thought to
          create one myself.

          > I've been a computer hobbyist since about
          1979, got
          into professional
          > programming and systems design and out
          again, and
          still keep active on
          > a hobbyist basis. I'm also into
          target shooting and
          small-scale model
          > railroading, but not at the
          same time!

          > For work, I consult to management (operations
          and
          supply-chain) and do
          > a wide variety of technical and business
          writing.

          > Around 1980, I built a Netronics ELF II kit and
          put
          it into a metal
          > chassis with my own power supply. Then I built
          an
          interface board that
          > enabled me to plug in two SWTC 4K dynamic
          RAM boards
          to the Elf bus. I
          > messed around with CRT and ASCII
          keyboard, but when
          I got my TRS80 Mod
          > 1, I stopped playing with the
          Elf.

          > Now I have TRS-80 Mods 1, 2, 3, and 4, 100, 200
          (I
          think), and a
          > couple of CoCo's. I had tricked out my old Model
          with 64K RAM, a
          > homebrew lowercase conversion, 2 double-sided
          5.25
          drives that decoded
          > to drives 0-3, expansion unit with RS232,
          and some
          other stuff. Oh,
          > yeah, I had also installed an Omikron
          Mapper. (I
          can't remember if I
          > still have the CP/M disks.)
          >
          > I also have some TI 99/4a's, a C64, Pet, Vic20,
          Sinclair, and a bunch
          > of early PCs (from originals to 286's, including a
          few different
          > models of Compaq protables and a NEC laptop). I have
          two Apples (one's
          > an SE, I don't recall the model of the other).
          >
          > I also have two oddball items that would need to be
          identified: one is
          > a "clamshell" portable with applications programs in
          plugin
          > cartridges, once used by IBM sales force. The other
          is, I think, a
          > standalone print buffer.
          >
          > Lots of software. Some
          manuals. Odds & ends of
          parts.

          > Stuff I had to give up
          along the way that I'm still
          upset about:
          > Centronics 101A line
          printer, ASR33 teletype
          terminal with papertape
          > reader/punch.
          >
          > I'd really like to hear what the plans are for the
          Museum. My idea was
          > to have a "spec sheet" for each unit, telling
          production dates, CPU
          > speed, RAM, ROM, original cost, etc. (Do you
          remember when Radio Shack
          > sold their 5MB hard drive add-on for the TRS80?
          Do
          you remember what
          > it cost? -- $5,000.00 in 1980 dollars!!!) Then
          wanted to create
          > a "comparative index" that would relate the
          relative
          power of each
          > unit, so that they could be compared to
          whatever
          machines are
          > available today. The Index would have to
          be
          constructed so as to allow
          > ongoing comparsions to machines not
          yet created... I
          have some old
          > magazines from the early 80s and I
          was going to cut
          out advertisments
          > and put them into those
          hard-plastic sheet displays
          that Staples
          > sells...

          Well, anyway, that's my intro.

          > I tend to read a lot but not
          write much. So I'll be
          hanging around.
          > (Also, I get the digest rather
          than individual
          emails, so my replies
          > to current topics may be a day
          or two late... If you
          need to contact
          > me in a timely manner, use my
          direct email.)

          > Thanks for creating this forum, and for being
          so
          close to home!

          > Let me know if anyone needs help with
          rescue
          missions - I have a
          > station wagon and am willing to help out
          in the
          NY/NJ metro area. (I
          > might be tempted to eastern PA with
          appropriate
          offerings of beer and
          > pizza!)

          -John

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Chris M
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 14, 2005
            dont mind my manners John, or rather the lack thereof.
            Welcone! :)
            <evan947@...> wrote:

            > John, first, welcome to the group!
            >
            > I have the same question as Chris -- tell us more
            about this IBM device?

            > I specialize in vintage handhelds (see my research
            at
            > http://www.snarc.net/pda/pda-treatise.htm) and live
            close to you in
            > Springfield.
            >
            > - Evan
            >
            > _____

            Of Chris M
            > Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 6:35 PM
            > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] new member intro
            >

            > Hey John. Tell us more about the clambake portable.
            > And what scale are you into? TT here.
            > --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            > <infomagic@...> wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I'm John from Montclair, NJ (northeast), and I
            heard
            > about this group
            > > from the cc-tech newsletter. I'm particularly
            > interested in the
            > > musuem, as I had once thought to create one
            myself.

            > > I've been a computer hobbyist since about 1979,
            got
            > into professional
            > > programming and systems design and out again, and
            > still keep active on
            > > a hobbyist basis. I'm also into target shooting
            and
            > small-scale model
            > > railroading, but not at the same time!
            > >
            > > For work, I consult to management (operations and
            > supply-chain) and do
            > > a wide variety of technical and business writing.
            > >
            > > Around 1980, I built a Netronics ELF II kit and
            put
            > it into a metal
            > > chassis with my own power supply. Then I built an
            > interface board that
            > > enabled me to plug in two SWTC 4K dynamic RAM
            boards
            > to the Elf bus. I
            > > messed around with CRT and ASCII keyboard, but
            when
            > I got my TRS80 Mod
            > > 1, I stopped playing with the Elf.
            > >
            > > Now I have TRS-80 Mods 1, 2, 3, and 4, 100, 200 (I
            > think), and a
            > > couple of CoCo's. I had tricked out my old Model I
            > with 64K RAM, a
            > > homebrew lowercase conversion, 2 double-sided 5.25
            > drives that decoded
            > > to drives 0-3, expansion unit with RS232, and some
            > other stuff. Oh,
            > > yeah, I had also installed an Omikron Mapper. (I
            > can't remember if I
            > > still have the CP/M disks.)
            > >
            > > I also have some TI 99/4a's, a C64, Pet, Vic20,
            > Sinclair, and a bunch
            > > of early PCs (from originals to 286's, including a
            > few different
            > > models of Compaq protables and a NEC laptop). I
            have
            > two Apples (one's
            > > an SE, I don't recall the model of the other).
            > >
            > > I also have two oddball items that would need to
            be
            > identified: one is
            > > a "clamshell" portable with applications programs
            in
            > plugin
            > > cartridges, once used by IBM sales force. The
            other
            === Message Truncated ===

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • john_apw
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 18, 2005
              Hi Chris,

              Thanks for the greeting! I was away for the weekend, sorry for the
              delay.

              "clamshell" --> "clambake" I like it!

              I'll have to dig it out, then I'll provide full details. Probably
              later tonight.

              I'm into N-scale, layout is set in late 1940's. Should probably
              cover this ofline...

              -John

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Chris M <chrism3667@y...>
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 18, 2005
                Hi Evan, thanks for the greeting! Good to know someone else in the
                neighborhood is into this collecting thing... My wife thinks it's an
                affliction that is unique to me...

                Let me grab the unit from my storage, probably tonight. Then I'll post
                full details. I don't think the unit was IBM, though. I think it was
                made by a different manufacturer. The guy I got it from was an IBM
                salesman, and he told me they used them for a short time. (Wouldn't be
                surprised if IBM used it in order to knock off a variant copy...)

                More later,
                -John

                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan947@y...> wrote:

                > John, first, welcome to the group!
                >
                > I have the same question as Chris -- tell us more about this IBM
                device?

                > I specialize in vintage handhelds (see my research at
                > http://www.snarc.net/pda/pda-treatise.htm) and live close to you in
                > Springfield.
                >
                > - Evan

              • Evan
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 21, 2005
                  I found a couple of references on the web saying that MicroOffice was founded by James P. Dunn, who worked as recently as last year at a place called the Center for Technology Commercialization, with offices throughout the northeast.  Makes sense, since the address for MicroOffice listed in an article I found from 1984 is Fairfield, Connecticut.  I will call this CTC place tomorrow and see if Dunn can shed some light on his gadget.

                  href="http://www.snarc.net/pda/pda-treatise.htm)">http://www.snarc.net/pda/pda-treatise.htm) and live close to you in
                  > Springfield.

                  >  -
                  Evan

                • Evan
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 21, 2005
                    Forgot to include the URL for that 1984 article: http://tinyurl.com/bpe9y

                    It's extremely informative!

                    I found a couple of references on the web saying that MicroOffice was founded by James P. Dunn, who worked as recently as last year at a place called the Center for Technology Commercialization, with offices throughout the northeast.  Makes sense, since the address for MicroOffice listed in an article I found from 1984 is Fairfield, Connecticut.  I will call this CTC place tomorrow and see if Dunn can shed some light on his gadget.

                    Hi Evan, thanks for the greeting! Good to know someone else in the
                    neighborhood is into this collecting thing... My wife thinks it's an
                    affliction that is unique to me...

                    Let me grab the unit from my storage, probably tonight. Then I'll post
                    full details. I don't think the unit was IBM, though. I think it was
                    made by a different manufacturer. The guy I got it from was an IBM
                    salesman, and he told me they used them for a short time. (Wouldn't be
                    surprised if IBM used it in order to knock off a variant copy...)

                    More later,
                    -John

                    > John, first, welcome to the group!

                    > I have the
                    same question as Chris -- tell us more about this IBM
                    device?

                    > I specialize in vintage handhelds (see my research at

                    href="http://www.snarc.net/pda/pda-treatise.htm)">http://www.snarc.net/pda/pda-treatise.htm) and live close to you in
                    > Springfield.

                    >  -
                    Evan

                  • Bee Dee
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 30, 2011
                      Hi. I just joined. I am also a member of the COSMACElf, RCACOSMAC, and
                      SpareTimeGizmos groups. I am interested in all things 1802.

                      I am in development of an online 1802 simulator, SimElf++ / COSMAC Elf^2 -
                      COSMAC ELF-ish CDP1802 Simulator in JavaScript, and an offline emulator,
                      Tolkien - An 1802 COSMAC Elf-ish Retro-Retro Emulator. (written in QB64)

                      http://www.donnelly-house.net/programming/cdp1802/simelf/

                      http://www.donnelly-house.net/programming/cdp1802/tolkien1802/

                      I also have experience with and interest in Data General Nova 2 minis
                      w/ core memories, teletypes, paper tape, 8" floppy drives, I.R.I.S. R4
                      DOS (Interactive Real-time Information Systems), & Business BASIC and
                      machine language programming; PDP 11/70 RSTS/E and VAX VMS, and some
                      contact with IBM 1130 with card punch ForTran, CoBOL, RPG & assembly
                      30+ years ago.

                      I have worked with/on Apple II's & Macs, Commodore PET, Commodore 64 & 128,
                      old DOS PC's up to present Windows 7, and a smattering of contact with
                      other old micros, like the Sol 20, plus intense interest in and some
                      knowledge of other micros of the day available circa 1975+. (through
                      study and reading of literature, Pop Elec & Radio Elec, etc.)

                      I am generally interested in retro- and vintage computing from the dawn
                      of time to the present. (w/ personal experience starting circa 1975)

                      -- Bill
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 30, 2011
                        ANd where are you from BD?

                        At 07:40 PM 11/30/2011, you wrote:
                        >Hi. I just joined. I am also a member of the COSMACElf, RCACOSMAC, and
                        >SpareTimeGizmos groups. I am interested in all things 1802.
                        >
                        >I am in development of an online 1802 simulator, SimElf++ / COSMAC Elf^2 -
                        >COSMAC ELF-ish CDP1802 Simulator in JavaScript, and an offline emulator,
                        >Tolkien - An 1802 COSMAC Elf-ish Retro-Retro Emulator. (written in QB64)
                        >
                        >http://www.donnelly-house.net/programming/cdp1802/simelf/
                        >
                        >http://www.donnelly-house.net/programming/cdp1802/tolkien1802/
                        >
                        >I also have experience with and interest in Data General Nova 2 minis
                        >w/ core memories, teletypes, paper tape, 8" floppy drives, I.R.I.S. R4
                        >DOS (Interactive Real-time Information Systems), & Business BASIC and
                        >machine language programming; PDP 11/70 RSTS/E and VAX VMS, and some
                        >contact with IBM 1130 with card punch ForTran, CoBOL, RPG & assembly
                        >30+ years ago.
                        >
                        >I have worked with/on Apple II's & Macs, Commodore PET, Commodore 64 & 128,
                        >old DOS PC's up to present Windows 7, and a smattering of contact with
                        >other old micros, like the Sol 20, plus intense interest in and some
                        >knowledge of other micros of the day available circa 1975+. (through
                        >study and reading of literature, Pop Elec & Radio Elec, etc.)
                        >
                        >I am generally interested in retro- and vintage computing from the dawn
                        >of time to the present. (w/ personal experience starting circa 1975)
                        >
                        >-- Bill

                      • Mike Loewen
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 30, 2011
                          On Wed, 30 Nov 2011, B Degnan wrote:

                          > ANd where are you from BD?
                          >
                          > At 07:40 PM 11/30/2011, you wrote:
                          >> Hi. I just joined. I am also a member of the COSMACElf, RCACOSMAC, and
                          >> SpareTimeGizmos groups. I am interested in all things 1802.
                          >> -- Bill

                          ANOTHER Bill D???? :-)

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                        • josh6502
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 30, 2011
                            > > At 07:40 PM 11/30/2011, you wrote:
                            > >> Hi. I just joined. I am also a member of the COSMACElf, RCACOSMAC, and
                            > >> SpareTimeGizmos groups. I am interested in all things 1802.
                            > >> -- Bill
                            >
                            > ANOTHER Bill D???? :-)

                            Hi Bill! Good to see you online! I've been too busy to be active on the COSMACelf group, but I'm never more than an email away.
                          • Bee Dee
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 30, 2011
                              Oh. Northern California, near Chico, about 100 miles north of Sacramento.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 30, 2011
                                >>> ANOTHER Bill D???? :-)

                                I think that's number six. Over the years we've had Bill Degnan, Bill Sudbrink, Bill Dudley, Bill Dromgoogle, Billy D'Augistine, and the honorary "Bill D." Will Donzelli.

                                I think Sudbrink was first, because I knew him from cctalk and the Boston VCF before I knew Degnan.
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 30, 2011
                                  Welcome.

                                  I posted this article about an early micros, including a an early
                                  transitionary 1801/2 processor system on my site

                                  Bill Degnan

                                  At 10:50 PM 11/30/2011, you wrote:
                                  >Oh. Northern California, near Chico, about 100 miles north of Sacramento.
                                  >

                                  >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > ANd where are you from BD?

                                • Jeffrey Brace
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 30, 2011
                                    > ANOTHER Bill D???? :-)

                                    Too many bills ! We need more Jeff's ! Only 3, the bills are replicating too
                                    fast !