Military Base Closures

  • wpileggi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2005
      I have "some" experience in this area, as I was hired as a 'Base
      Closing Engineer' (at least that's what we called ourselves) in 1996
      to help close down Naval Air Warfare Center (NAWC; ex-NADC) Warrington
      (Johnsville), PA. (NAWC is now located in Pax. River, MD.) Actually
      what gets left behind is up to the project and department managers.
      Believe it or not, making friends with said individuals can yield
      surprising results. Main Reason: you can't take it all with you...to
      the "new" location. Important stuff that goes: those computer outlet
      strips. Why? Because you Never have enough outlets in a new location
      and you always need them immediately. 100's of (now) spare computers?
      They went to the surplus div.(DMRO). If an item is not needed to
      complete the mission, it stays or gets 'surplused'. Sometimes, even
      donated to worthy charities.... [I'm trying to remember what happened
      to this UH-1 Huey (helicopter chassis) we had - I'm thinking it was
      donated to vet's group?]

      Bill/KA3AIS