Need a Zork

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 22, 2008
      Can anyone help me with a copy of Zork I ? I need one for a possible VCF Exhibit. Would perfer a non IBM version, so basically C64, A2, A800, VC20 or TI99

      Thanks
      Joe
    • Joe Giliberti
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 22, 2008
        Also, copies of Hitchhiker's Guide, Adventureland, and Star Trek: The Kobayashi Alternative. All seem to have inflated prices on ebay. Either a copied floppy or tape is fine, as is my returning a cartridge to you once the show is over.

        Thanks again.
        Joe

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 22, 2008
          Message
          Can't your download a lot of that stuff...?

          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 22, 2008
            Yes, but only for a DOSbox

            My father short sightedly discarded any PCs in the house capable of supporting a 5 1/4" floppy drive. (not realizing that, of course)

            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 22, 2008
              Message
              It wouldn't be nearly as much fun to run all those games in PC emulation of the actual hardware .... but you could.  After all, the purpose of your exhibit is the software.  Don't spend too much time (especially with 3 weeks to go) fretting about the hardware.

              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 22, 2008
                Message
                And don't forget to dive into Jason Scott's web page devoted to his upcoming documentary, "Get Lamp".  If it's anything like his BBS project then it will be awesome.

                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 22, 2008
                  Joe Giliberti wrote:
                  Can anyone help me with a copy of Zork I ? I need one for a possible VCF Exhibit. Would perfer a non IBM version, so basically C64, A2, A800, VC20 or TI99

                  Thanks
                  Joe
                  Can you extract D64 files for the Commodore 64 with whatever you're using?

                  BD
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 22, 2008
                    Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    Message
                    And don't forget to dive into Jason Scott's web page devoted to his upcoming documentary, "Get Lamp".  If it's anything like his BBS project then it will be awesome.
                    I am in the middle of watching the DVD's.  I have a few more segments from the last DVD left.  It's a must see.

                    bd
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 22, 2008
                      Joe,

                      Any desktop or tower machine with a floppy controller can support a 5 1/4" drive. Just hook up the cable and set the BIOS. I'll look to see what games I have. They are all PC-only.

                      Jim

                      My father short sightedly discarded any PCs in the house capable of supporting a 5 1/4" floppy drive. (not realizing that, of course)

                      On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 10:53 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                      Can't your download a lot of that stuff...?

                    • tonsofpcs
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 22, 2008
                        I'm pretty sure I have one here for either Apple2 or C64, in the
                        Binghamton area, I'll check in the morning; I only have an Apple //c
                        here for testing though (well, I have a IIgs too, but no keyboard) so
                        I may not be able to confirm if it works or not

                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Giliberti"
                        <Starbase89@...> wrote:

                        > Can anyone help me with a copy of Zork I ? I need one for a possible VCF
                        > Exhibit. Would perfer a non IBM version, so basically C64, A2, A800,
                        VC20 or
                        > TI99
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        > Joe

                      • Dan Roganti

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 23, 2008
                            Probably not

                            Subj: Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF east Viewing....was Re: Need a Zork
                            Date: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:43 am
                            Size: 3K
                            To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                            [ Pittsburgh 250th --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/ ]

                            B Degnan wrote: Evan Koblentz wrote: Message
                            And don't forget to dive into Jason Scott's web page devoted to his upcoming documentary, "Get Lamp". If it's anything like his BBS project then it will be awesome.
                            I am in the middle of watching the DVD's. I have a few more segments from the last DVD left. It's a must see.

                            bd
                            No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.138 / Virus Database: 270.6.7/1628 - Release Date: 8/22/2008 6:32 PM
                          • Timothy J Fagan
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 23, 2008
                              I could create some C64, Vic 20, and/or Atari 8-bit floppies of any titles downloadable from various internet sources. I have an MMC64 and a SIO2PC. Let me know if this would help, and if so, how many you want and where I should mail them to. Thanks.

                              --Timster--

                              <Starbase89@ ...> wrote:

                              > Can anyone
                              help me with a copy of Zork I ? I need one for a possible VCF
                              > Exhibit.
                              Would perfer a non IBM version, so basically C64, A2, A800,
                              VC20 or

                              TI99

                              > Thanks
                              > Joe

                            • Brian Cirulnick
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 23, 2008
                                <Starbase89@...> wrote:

                                > Also, copies of Hitchhiker's Guide, Adventureland, and Star Trek: The
                                > Kobayashi Alternative. All seem to have inflated prices on ebay.
                                Either a
                                > copied floppy or tape is fine, as is my returning a cartridge to you
                                once
                                > the show is over.
                                >
                                > Thanks again.
                                > Joe
                                --------------------

                                I might have Star Trek: The Kobayashi Alternative for the Apple II. I'm
                                at work now, but when I get home, I'll have a look. I'd have to set up
                                my Apple II to copy it (I guess I could do that), but it might just be
                                easier to send it to you, and have you return it to me when you're done.

                                ttyl
                                Brian C.
                              • Evan
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 23, 2008
                                  I suggested to Joe that he just do PC emulation. This being his first VCF exhibit, he should focus on the software and its history. Of course running it on the real hardware would be cool (and preferred for the VCF) but PC emulation makes sense for a first-timer with three weeks to go.

                                  Subj: [midatlanticretro] Re: Need a Zork
                                  Date: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:19 pm
                                  Size: 1K
                                  To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                                  --------------------

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 23, 2008
                                    I was thinking, if I could just find the software, could I then borrow some of those systems (i.e. the ones we have 17 of) from the collection solely for use in the exhibit? The main problem with emulation and your big screen plan is the inability to display more than one game at a time. I want at least Zork, Adventureland, and Hitchhiker's; Star Trek isn't necessary. So therefore, three computers, monitors, and possibly disk drives.

                                    Date: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:19 pm
                                    Size: 1K
                                    To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                                    --------------------

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 23, 2008
                                      Joe Giliberti wrote:
                                      I was thinking, if I could just find the software, could I then borrow some of those systems (i.e. the ones we have 17 of) from the collection solely for use in the exhibit? The main problem with emulation and your big screen plan is the inability to display more than one game at a time. I want at least Zork, Adventureland, and Hitchhiker's; Star Trek isn't necessary. So therefore, three computers, monitors, and possibly disk drives.

                                      That's a great idea.  I favor the real thing over emulators especially with plentiful systems like C-64, Apple //e's.

                                      bd
                                    • Joe Giliberti
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 23, 2008
                                        I'm pretty sure all three games were available for either the C64 or VIC-20.

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 23, 2008
                                          Message
                                          >>> could I then borrow some of those systems (i.e. the ones we have 17 of)

                                          No to borrowing them, but you could PLEASE take one and never bring it back .... 16 is plenty!  (Those are the C-64s.)

                                          Just remember not to wait until a day or two before the show to get them working.  We have 17, but there conditions are UNKNOWN.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 23, 2008
                                            wrote:

                                            > No to borrowing them, but you could PLEASE take one and never bring
                                            it back
                                            > .... 16 is plenty! (Those are the C-64s.)
                                            >
                                            > Just remember not to wait until a day or two before the show to get
                                            them
                                            > working. We have 17, but there conditions are UNKNOWN.
                                            ----------------------

                                            That reminds me.... If anyone needs a 1541 drive for the C=64... I
                                            think I have half a dozen in my kitchen...
                                          • Dan Roganti
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 24, 2008

                                              At the moment, I don't have a C64 running--just a VIC20 :)  I don't have any of the 1541toPC cables yet to archive my software. I started looking at my C64 software and so far I found Hitchhikers Guide and Zork III. I used to have a printout of all the software but that was misplaced. There's plenty more to look thru, about 300 floppies(which I kept in a safe place with A/C), so I might have Zork I in there too. But I could just bring them all with me if you plan to have a C64 running there. In the meantime, I could mail Hitchhikers Guide if you want.

                                              =Dan

                                              Date: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:19 pm
                                              Size: 1K
                                              To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                                              --------------------

                                              I might have Star Trek: The Kobayashi Alternative for the Apple II. I'm
                                              at work now, but when I get home, I'll have a look. I'd have to set up
                                              my Apple II to copy it (I guess I could do that), but it might just be
                                              easier to send it to you, and have you return it to me when you're done.

                                              ttyl
                                              Brian C.

                                            • Ray Sills
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Aug 24, 2008
                                                Hi Evan and group:

                                                It seems to me I brought at -least- 3 C64 systems to MARCH's
                                                basement. And as many disk drives, monitors, etc. So, the hardware
                                                should be there. Good idea to check it out, to make sure all is OK.
                                                BTW, I found (buried in the bottom of a box of stuff at my new home)
                                                a Fast Load cartridge for the C64. That always was a handy item.
                                                Also, don't overlook those compatible drives I brought as well. I
                                                forget the brand, but they are black in color, and came with a nice
                                                black carry case, which could double as a floppy storage box.

                                                73 de Ray

                                                On Aug 24, 2008, at 12:08 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                                > have 17 of)
                                                >
                                                > No to borrowing them, but you could PLEASE take one and never bring
                                                > it back .... 16 is plenty! (Those are the C-64s.)
                                                >
                                                > Just remember not to wait until a day or two before the show to get
                                                > them working. We have 17, but there conditions are UNKNOWN.

                                              • Brian Cirulnick
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Aug 25, 2008
                                                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Ray Sills <raysills@...> wrote:

                                                  > > Joe Giliberti wrote:
                                                  > >>
                                                  > >> I was thinking, if I could just find the software, could I then
                                                  > >> borrow some of those systems (i.e. the ones we have 17 of) from
                                                  > >> the collection solely for use in the exhibit? The main problem
                                                  > >> with emulation and your big screen plan is the inability to
                                                  > >> display more than one game at a time. I want at least Zork,
                                                  > >> Adventureland, and Hitchhiker's; Star Trek isn't necessary. So
                                                  > >> therefore, three computers, monitors, and possibly disk drives.

                                                  -------------------

                                                  Hi;

                                                  I have Star Trek: Kobayashi Alertnative for the Apple II. I was able to
                                                  locate it after some searching. Don't have Hitchhikers (I thought I
                                                  did), but I do have Carmen Sandiego if that's a valid substitution.

                                                  If you need this (these) complete/intact for VCF, let me know and I'll
                                                  mail them to the appropriate party, as long as they are returned to me
                                                  at the end of VCF East.

                                                  Due to weight, I can't mail the CBM 1541 drive as easily, but I assume
                                                  as this thread has stated, there are probably plenty of 1541's at
                                                  Infoage.

                                                  Let me know what you guys need.

                                                  TTYL
                                                  Brian C.