VCF Exhibits

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 21 11:15 AM
      You may have covered this elsewhere Evan, but when exactly will the exhibits be open? I ask because I plan to attend the workshop and I will not be able to man the exhibit booth at that time.
      bd
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 21 11:22 AM
        Still working on the exact times, but what will probably happen is:
        Saturday morning will be a museum opening event and Watts' speech, will
        Sunday morning will be Kagan's speech, one other speech (TBD, probably
        Fred or Sellam), and the workshop. The workshop will probably overlap
        with Sunday's second lecture slot, so all you'd miss that (most likely) a
        talk from Fred.

        I hope to find one or two other more relevant guest speakers.

        > You may have covered this elsewhere Evan, but when exactly will the
        > exhibits be open? I ask because I plan to attend the workshop and I will
        > not be able to man the exhibit booth at that time.
        > bd

      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 21 3:11 PM

          Evan Koblentz wrote:

          I hope to find one or two other more relevant guest speakers.

          Ahl !    Ahl !    Ahl !

          =Dan

        • Bob Applegate
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 21 3:36 PM
            Lance Leventhal (a friend of mine) spoke at VCF last year.  If he's in NJ, he would
            probably be willing.  Want me to ask?  FWIW, Lance authored a zillion books in
            the 70s/80s about processors, computers, etc.  Most people in that time had at
            least one of his books.  I use his Z80 programming book still, although it is falling
            to pieces.

            Bob

            [ Pittsburgh 250th --- http://www2. applegate. org/~ragooman/   ]

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 21 3:56 PM
              Message
              Sure!  I didn't catch his talk in California last fall but the summary sounds good.  Have him contact me directly.

              A Brief History of Phone Phreaking, 1960-1980 Some of the characters involved in the history of computing were also involved in another hobby: exploring the telephone system. In this session, Phil will give a brief history of "phone phreaking" from 1960 to 1980. We'll see how the phirst "blue box" came to be, we'll look at why organized crime loved the technology, and we'll see how AT&T and the Department of Justice reacted to this phad in the 1960s. We'll then phollow the phreaks into the 1970s as their hobby hit the mainstream in 1971 with the publication of "Secrets of the Little Blue Box" in Esquire magazine. As a bonus, we'll get to listen to some sounds of the old network! If you've ever used a blue box, this will be a phun trip down memory lane--and if you haven't, you'll get to listen to some great examples of hacking with tones!

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 22 7:21 PM
                I talked to Lance today.  He *might* be in the area, so I'm going to talk to him
                next week when he's on vacation on the East Coast to see what his plans are.

                Bob

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 19, 2009
                  Hello MARCHins.

                  Only eight weeks until VCF East!

                  We have nine exhibits so far, not counting the MARCH table(s). Goal is
                  15-20. So, PLEASE sign up as soon as possible. It's okay to only put a
                  few sentences in the description if you're still sorting out the
                  details. Do not delay!!

                  http://www.vintage.org/2009/east/exhibit.php

                  The more people sign up SOON, the better we can advertise the show, and
                  the more awesomeness will ensue.
                • Joe Giliberti

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 22, 2009
                      The Cosmac that I have needs a good cleaning.
                      What would be the best cleaning solution that will not damage the unit..

                      Also, is there anyway I can rent a monitor for the show? I really can't drag the one I am using also it is not vintage.

                    • Bill Sudbrink
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 22, 2009
                        I can bring a spare for you to borrow.
                        The Cosmac that I have needs a good cleaning.
                        What would be the best cleaning solution that will not damage the unit..

                        Also, is there anyway I can rent a monitor for the show? I really can't drag the one I am using also it is not vintage.

                      • Ray Sills
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 22, 2009
                          Cosmac what? ELF or VIP? In any event, I'd suggest gentle dusting
                          with a brush, and alcohol sparingly used on the really bad grime.
                          The VIP only needs a standard composite video monitor, so even a
                          Commodore monitor would work.

                          73 de Ray

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 22, 2009
                            @Bill... Thanks man... Lets see if there is something at the museum rather than having you drag yours all the way.

                            @Ray... It's a VIP. I got my hands on a VIP that works but needs a lot of TLC. This thing looks like it went through some tough times.

                            I have been up on craigslist looking for a tape recorder so I can save a few demo programs, otherwise I think I will be programming it on the fly for display.

                          • evan@snarc.net
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 22, 2009
                              Infoage has several tape recorders. You can borrow as needed.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 22, 2009
                                I'll be "dragging" one Koyo TVM-90 anyway.  Another will not be much of a problem.
                                They are nice and square and easy to transport.  Your call, but I'm happy to help if
                                you want it.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 22, 2009

                                  @Bill. Cool. Thanks I will let you know
                                  @Evan.. Thanks,  I am going to try and get a recorder now so I can program it now and try and have more programs ready. Given the keypad this thing is not easy to program.

                                • Ray Sills
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 22, 2009
                                    Hi Christian:

                                    OK. Fine on the VIP! That's one machine I still have. BTW, there
                                    is a user group on Yahoo; RCACosmac.
                                    My cassette tape machines are quite "iffy".. or I'd make a tape for
                                    you with some games and demos. If I can make one work, I'll let you
                                    know.

                                    73 de Ray

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 21, 2012
                                      Hey slackers! Go register your VCF exhibits. It's
                                      reeeeeeeaaaaalllllllllly important to do so sooner rather than later.

                                      http://www.vintage.org/2012/east/exhibit.php