Something cool for our club museum

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 13 12:59 PM
      Hi MARCHers,

      VCF's Sellam Ismail today forwarded a note to the classiccmp.org's cctalk
      mailing list, regarding a (free!) IBM 5155 "Portable" computer -- the person
      donating it was even willing to pay the shipping costs. Since I'm into all
      things mobile, I jumped on this one, and claimed it in the name of our
      museum. The donator is in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and said she'll ship it to
      me ASAP.

      She said it works and is in good condition, but lacks software and manuals.

      Some background: http://oldcomputers.net/ibm5155.html

      - 750 readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write for us!
    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 13 1:23 PM
        Evan:

        I picked up one of these WITH manuals a couple of months ago. Did a complete
        cleaning and restore. Runs GREAT!!!

        I think I have some duplicate manuals. If so, the club/museum is welcome to
        them. I'll check tonight.

        Kelly

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 13 1:29 PM
          Cool, thanks for stepping up.

          You probably mentioned this before, sorry for forgetting.  Between MARCH and CCN and my PDA history research and the book I'm writing and (gasp!) my job, I tend to be a little bit over-extended and forgetful sometimes.   :)

          If anyone cares, here's the toy that helps me relax: http://www.snarc.net/miata/miata.htm

          VCF's Sellam Ismail today forwarded a note to the classiccmp.org's
          cctalk
          mailing list, regarding a (free!) IBM 5155 "Portable" computer -- the
          person
          donating it was even willing to pay the shipping costs.  Since I'm into
          all
          things mobile, I jumped on this one, and claimed it in the name of our
          museum.  The donator is in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and said she'll ship
          it to
          me ASAP.

          She said it works and is in good condition, but lacks software and
          manuals.

          Some background: http://oldcomputers.net/ibm5155.html

          - 750 readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write for us!
          - W: http://news.computercollector.com  E: news@...

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Kelly Leavitt
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 13 5:20 PM
            Evan:

            I have here one extra copy of the "Guide to Operations" for the Portable Personal Computer. It has a little discoloration on the slipcase, but overall it is in good shape. Now, all it needs is a matching computer...

            Hey BillD:
              How's progress on the database? The free form one on Yahoo just doesn't cut it.

            Kelly

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 13 5:24 PM
              Unfortunately, we haven't yet recieved the makes/models list from VCF/Sellam Ismail.  I will bug him for that again.

              Also, John A. -- did you get the email from David Corbin with the hosting info for our web site?

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005
                Got the 5155 today.  Just in time!  I estimate its condition as "mediocre", not "good", but contrary to what she said, it did come with boot disks and stuff.

                Will bring it Saturday.  Anyone have a manual for this beast?

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005
                  I've got a spare manual for the 5155 right here. Will bring it Saturday.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005
                    Great!

                    I forget if you said back in mid-July, but either way, that is great news.

                    LOL, can you look through it now -- I can't figure out how to remove the keyboard where it attaches to the case on the bottom.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005
                      >>> I can't figure out how to remove the keyboard where it attaches to the case on the bottom.

                      Nevermind!  Just got it.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005
                        Evan,
                        Cool.
                        No, but it's the same as the IBM XT (5160) in any practical sense, you can
                        just use an xt manual.
                        Bill

                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005
                          even better!
                          bd

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005
                            Turned it on and just got a bunch of orange-colored snow.

                            Tried it with and without the boot disk inserted.

                            Suggestions?

                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005
                              Also: I'm a big hypocrite because this is an XT computer and therefore not vintage by my own definition.

                              So please consider this topic to be off-topic.    :)

                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005
                                I consider the XT vintage, the AT not..but let's focus on the problem....If
                                you have static on the screen that's bad.

                                Is it TV static or wavy lines?

                                Bill

                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005
                                  wavy lines

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005
                                    I would be happy to take a look at it on Sat. When you turn on the computer
                                    does it beep once, twice, long beeps, short beeps, etc.? (It's good when you
                                    have one short beep). What happens when you adjust the contrast/brightness?
                                    I believe Kelly was working on a 5155 with a monitor problem; I recall a
                                    series of posts on classiccmp a few months ago. Don't remember if his problem was
                                    related.

                                    Usually when you have wavy lines it's the monitor itself, not the computer.
                                    You don't happen to have a CGA monitor lying around to test (IBM 5153) ?
                                    Maybe someone can bring one for you? There is an external monitor port on the
                                    back If you can get an external monitor to work, that'd pretty much prove the
                                    problem is with the monitor electronics. Maybe the Commodore monitor I am
                                    bringing for you will work, I don't know.

                                    Usually when there are wavy lines it's the monitor or a monitor component IC.
                                    I am sure someone else reading this message can be more specific. If the
                                    display card were bad you'd expect to get "nothing" on the screen. If the
                                    motherboard were bad or some other computer card component you'd get multiple beeps
                                    when you power on the computer and/or an error code. For example 1701 = bad
                                    or missing hard drive.

                                    My 5155 is pretty blah, no hard drive, just a diskette drive. I don't use it
                                    much.

                                    Bill

                                    In a message dated 8/9/2005 10:10:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                    evan947@... writes:

                                    > wavy lines
                                  • Evan
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005
                                      Hmm, how about no beeps?   :)

                                      I plan to either leave the computer at InfoAge (among their current collection) or to let one of ya'll take it home.  There is really not enough space in my apartment for it.

                                      evan947@... writes:

                                      > wavy
                                      lines
                                    • Kelly Leavitt
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 10, 2005
                                        I have an IBM CGA monitor. I'll try to remember it for Saturday. My 5155
                                        works fine. I had troubles with the floppy drive at first. A quick cleaning
                                        and alignment and it works great.

                                        My first, knee jerk guess, is that the cable to the monitor is either loose
                                        or broken. It does run at some pretty weird angles to get it plugged in.

                                        These units are pretty simple. If we can't fix it Saturday I'd be willing to
                                        take it home and troubleshoot it.

                                        Kelly

                                        evan947@... writes:

                                        > wavy lines

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                                      • billdeg@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 10, 2005
                                          no beeps not good.  it may be that the power supply is not hooked up to the motherboard.
                                          bd

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 10, 2005
                                            Exactamundo!  I was just about to email saying that was the problem.  Opened it and immediately noticed that one of the power connectors got knocked loose during transit.  Pushed it down, powered it up, and it roared to life.

                                            Alas, the boot disk is kaput, but the computer is quite alive.

                                            LOL -- the keyboard and enclosure EACH weigh more than a modern laptop -- nevermind the additional 20-ish pounds for the computer.

                                            Bill/Kelly -- maybe bring a fresh book disk?  Along with Kelly's extra manual, we can teach the public (and me!) about this dinosaur.

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Aug 10, 2005
                                              that's good news. those old IBM's are tanks and even when left in the rain
                                              can be revived. I don't have the original 5155 diagnostic or the DOS, but I
                                              assume it's 2.1 and will bring a box of boot disks, etc.

                                              Bill