OT: IT support

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 11, 2008
      Message
      This is VERY funny ... and certainly rings true for most of us!

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 11, 2008
        this is painful, this is my life sometimes

        At 09:29 PM 8/11/2008 -0400, you wrote:
        This is VERY funny ... and certainly rings true for most of us!

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcQ7RkyBoBc

      • Stan Brewer

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 25, 2008
            The "VAX Magic" sessions were a time to unwind and tell horror stories.  Great fun.
            This got me thinking about one of the must absurd things I ever ran across as a systems manager.
            I was working as a Systems Manager for what was a fortune 500 manufacturer.  They lost their 500 status and this story may give a hint as to why.
              A young lady in the accounting department, who had her degree in IS, would one morning each week run a report for the Division Accounting department.  She ran a report from a report generator that ran against a DBMS Database.  The report would run for about an hour and then she would manually tell it to print to a laser printer.  She would get dozens of pages of the report, then punch a column of numbers from it into a Lotus 123 spread sheet.  Once in the sheet, she would total up the numbers in column using an adding machine, then enter the adding machine total at the bottom of the spread sheet.  When told that Lotus 123 could total the column for her, she said, "But I want to make sure the total is right!".  She then printed the spread sheet to a laser printer, walked the printed sheets to the fax machine and faxed them to the Division Accounting department, who was on the same network as us, and also ran VAX's.
              After I explained how I could take the 4 hour job and make it automatic so that she would not have to spend any of her time on it, she became hostile.  So I went to her boss, the Plant Controller and said, "I can change the report to include just the items she wants, total them and have it print on the laser printer in the Division Accounting office, and do it all in batch automatically each week." "This would save 4 hours of work each week, and eliminate possible keying errors."  The controller told me to just let the accounting clerk do as she had been doing.
              About a year later, they were both gone.  I changed the report and that task become history.

                                                     True stories are sometimes the scariest,

                                                                     Stan

            B. Degnan wrote:

            this is painful, this is my life sometimes

            At 09:29 PM 8/11/2008 -0400, you wrote:

            This is VERY funny ... and certainly rings true for most of us!

            http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=BcQ7RkyBoBc

          • Ray Sills
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 25, 2008
              Great story! I think it was Mark Twain who said that truth is
              stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense.

              73 de Ray

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 25, 2008
                Perhaps someone in MARCH should collect the Horror stories?

                Stan