Another weekend, another workday

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
      Message
      This Saturday starting at 11.
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
        Message
        This Saturday starting at 11.
      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 7, 2008
          I just saw a commercial on NY1 stating that Argo Electronics is closing. They were the last Electronic Surplus stores on Canal St. I never saw a commercial for Argo.

          For those of you that don't know the significance. Back in the 80s (probably back in the 70s too but I am not that old), Canal St in NYC had many electronic surplus stores. Everything from radios to oscilloscopes. There are still electronic stores there but nothing like Argo. I remember buying all sorts of stuff. Well it looks like they are closing.

          Here are some sites that show pictures of Argo

          http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/02/argo_electronics_surplus.html

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmtorrone/tags/argoelectronics/

          The address
          393 Canal St
          New York, NY 10013-1691
          Phone: (212) 226-4945

        • Ray Sills
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 7, 2008
            Hi Christian:

            For the old fogies like me, Canal Street is the place people went to -
            after- the disappearance of the old "radio row" down at the World
            Trade Center site. Back in the late 50's and early 60's, there were
            dozens of electronic surplus stores in the area of Barclay Street,
            Hudson Street, etc. A lot of WW II military surplus items were sold
            there, and a young kid with just a few dollars could come home with an
            armload or two of good "stuff".
            Mil spec vacuum tubes could be purchased for dimes.. new, unused, but
            surplus communication radios for a dollar. Of course, back then, a
            ride on the subway was 15 cents, and minimum wage was 50 cents an hour.

            But still, there was a lot of stuff there, and it was a wonderland for
            electronic hobbyists.

            I'm sorry to hear that Argo is closing... but I'm not surprised.
            Stores like that depend on cheap real estate, and there is no more
            cheap real estate in Manhattan.

            73 de Ray

            On Aug 7, 2008, at 8:53 AM, Christian Liendo wrote:

            > I just saw a commercial on NY1 stating that Argo Electronics is
            > closing. They were the last Electronic Surplus stores on Canal St. I
            > never saw a commercial for Argo.
            >
            > For those of you that don't know the significance. Back in the 80s
            > (probably back in the 70s too but I am not that old), Canal St in
            > NYC had many electronic surplus stores. Everything from radios to
            > oscilloscopes. There are still electronic stores there but nothing
            > like Argo. I remember buying all sorts of stuff. Well it looks like
            > they are closing.
            >
            > Here are some sites that show pictures of Argo
            >
            > http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/02/argo_electronics_surplus.html
            >
            > http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmtorrone/tags/argoelectronics/
            >
            > The address
            > 393 Canal St
            > New York, NY 10013-1691
            > Phone: (212) 226-4945

          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 7, 2008
              Yea it sucks..

              Who know, if I hit lotto and I dont have to worry about $$$ I may open a place just to enjoy myself..... :)

              For the old fogies like me, Canal Street is the place people went to -
              after- the disappearance of the old "radio row" down at the World
              Trade Center site. Back in the late 50's and early 60's, there were
              dozens of electronic surplus stores in the area of Barclay Street,
              Hudson Street, etc. A lot of WW II military surplus items were sold
              there, and a young kid with just a few dollars could come home with an
              armload or two of good "stuff".
              Mil spec vacuum tubes could be purchased for dimes.. new, unused, but
              surplus communication radios for a dollar. Of course, back then, a
              ride on the subway was 15 cents, and minimum wage was 50 cents an hour.

              But still, there was a lot of stuff there, and it was a wonderland for
              electronic hobbyists.

              I'm sorry to hear that Argo is closing... but I'm not surprised.
              Stores like that depend on cheap real estate, and there is no more
              cheap real estate in Manhattan.

              73 de Ray

              On Aug 7, 2008, at 8:53 AM, Christian Liendo wrote:

              > I just saw a commercial on NY1 stating that Argo Electronics is
              > closing. They were the last Electronic Surplus stores on Canal St. I
              > never saw a commercial for Argo.
              >
              > For those of you that don't know the significance. Back in the 80s
              > (probably back in the 70s too but I am not that old), Canal St in
              > NYC had many electronic surplus stores. Everything from radios to
              > oscilloscopes. There are still electronic stores there but nothing
              > like Argo. I remember buying all sorts of stuff. Well it looks like
              > they are closing.
              >
              > Here are some sites that show pictures of Argo
              >
              > http://blog. makezine. com/archive/ 2008/02/argo_ electronics_ surplus.html
              >
              > http://www.flickr. com/photos/ pmtorrone/ tags/argoelectro nics/
              >
              > The address
              > 393 Canal St
              > New York, NY 10013-1691
              > Phone: (212) 226-4945

            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008

                crap, and I wanted to visit NYC again this year, I miss that place.
                There's another place out on Long Island that I used to frequent a lot in the 70's, Edlie's Electronics in Merrick.
                We drove a lot of miles making the run between them, the Computer Mart store and Polks Hobby store.
                But I'm not sure if there still open or they forget to update their webpage, I'll have to give them a call..
                Their online catalog is still for 2003.
                http://www.edlieelectronics.com/

                =Dan

                Christian Liendo wrote:
                I just saw a commercial on NY1 stating that Argo Electronics is closing. They were the last Electronic Surplus stores on Canal St. I never saw a commercial for Argo.

                For those of you that don't know the significance. Back in the 80s (probably back in the 70s too but I am not that old), Canal St in NYC had many electronic surplus stores. Everything from radios to oscilloscopes. There are still electronic stores there but nothing like Argo. I remember buying all sorts of stuff. Well it looks like they are closing.

                Here are some sites that show pictures of Argo

                http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/02/argo_electronics_surplus.html

                http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmtorrone/tags/argoelectronics/

                The address
                393 Canal St
                New York, NY 10013-1691
                Phone: (212) 226-4945

                _

              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008
                  Other than classiccmp I didn't see VCF mentioned at all, so I figured people should know at least 30 days in advance. So I started to spread the word.

                  I sent e-mails to the following places:

                  www.fanboy,com (I know the owner)

                  www.theoldcomputer.com
                        He actually posted it right away.
                        http://www.theoldcomputer.com/blog/retroblog.html

                  www.lemon64.com/
                  www.old-computers.com
                  www.retrothing.com

                  BTW: You should links last years pictures to the VCF site

                  These pictures are cool:
                  http://www.marchclub.org/VCFe4/index.htm

                • billdeg
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008

                    > BTW: You should links last years pictures to the VCF site
                    >
                    > These pictures are cool:
                    > http://www.marchclub.org/VCFe4/index.htm

                    here are many more pics of VCF 4, by manufacturer, just the systems
                    mostly:
                    http://www.vintagecomputer.net/vcf4/
                  • Christian Liendo
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008
                      Man thats cool..

                      I think the more pics we put up the more interest we can get.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008
                        Here is the web page I made for the event
                        http://vintagecomputer.net/PET_30th.cfm
                      • Mike Loewen
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008
                          On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, billdeg wrote:

                          >> BTW: You should links last years pictures to the VCF site
                          >>
                          >> These pictures are cool:
                          >> http://www.marchclub.org/VCFe4/index.htm
                          >>

                          > here are many more pics of VCF 4, by manufacturer, just the systems
                          > mostly:
                          > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/vcf4/

                          ...and here's another batch:

                          http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCFEast-2007/

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                        • mejeep_ferret
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008
                            I was late to discover Canal Street in the mid 70s (I gave the radio
                            museum a recent kids' book about a kid who was the youngest ham, with
                            illustrations about going to Cortlandt Street for the parts). There
                            were so many stores that I'd make a day of it. I also explored all
                            around Chambers Street and found wonderful obscure surplus stores such
                            as Alexander's Hardware (he sold anything and everything: once found
                            new unused core memory there), and a store with surplus office
                            equipment, hardware (paint, tools) and even new drafting pens.

                            I never liked Cortland Street electronics because I was cheated when I
                            bought some chip sockets, and I never saw anything interesting there.
                            But that was justification for me to buy a $30 credit card sized
                            calculator (NEW!) to calculate the total should I buy lotsa chip
                            sockets ever again.

                            Today's Argo electronics is mostly stuff found on the street. Heck,
                            I've left many better things at the curb than what I find there. It's
                            nowhere as nest as when it was Trans Am electronics with new parts
                            behind the counter and really neat computer parts.

                            Edlie electronics was kinda far for me to visit but I fondly remember
                            their "Canal Street" feel to the surplus area.
                          • Bryan Pope
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008
                              Evan Koblentz wrote:
                              > This Saturday starting at 11.
                              Is this still on?

                              Cheers,

                              Bryan
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008
                                Yes.

                                So far me and Chris L. are going.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008
                                  Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                  > Yes.
                                  >
                                  > So far me and Chris L. are going.

                                  Cool... Well, add me to that list as well... :-)

                                  Cheers,

                                  Bryan

                                  P.S. Are you speaking of Christian Liendo? As in Commodore freak
                                  Christian ? ;-) (Unlike me who just thinks the C64 is a "pretty neat
                                  idea"..) :-P

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008