ISP

  • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 6, 2008
      My ISP has decided to dispense with its telnet service and shell
      accounts as of the first of next month. Does anyone know of a
      service I can migrate to that will permit me to use these
      now primative systems?
      I'm just outside of Philadelphia.
      bs
    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 6, 2008

        > My ISP has decided to dispense with its telnet service and shell
        > accounts as of the first of next month. Does anyone know of a
        > service I can migrate to that will permit me to use these
        > now primative systems?
        > I'm just outside of Philadelphia.
        > bs

        the internet is becoming a gated community. Shell is vital for managing a UNIX box remotely, but I can see why ISP's are shutting them down. We don't allow them here either, or FTP for that matter. It's a security thing.
      • John Allain
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 6, 2008
          > My ISP has decided to dispense with its telnet service and shell
          > accounts as of the first of next month. Does anyone know of a
          > service I can migrate to that will permit me to use these
          > now primative systems?

          Public Access Networks - Panix
          still has shell.

          http://www.panix.com/shell.html

          > I'm just outside of Philadelphia.

          Over Dial-Up you might have a problem.
          Panix is ~= NYC +/- 50 miles.

          John A.

          Areas' ISP with the most history, AFAIK.
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 8, 2008
            bs,

            Take a look at FreeShell.org. I think this is exactly what you are looking for. I have a friend in my local computer club who also wants to do everything via SSH. While you contemplate making a change, consider the wisdom of separating your Internet services from your Internet access. Once you do you can shop for the best deal for Internet access without worrying about how that ISP does email.

            Jim

            My ISP has decided to dispense with its telnet service and shell
            accounts as of the first of next month.  Does anyone know of a
            service I can migrate to that will permit me to use these
            now primative systems?
            I'm just outside of Philadelphia.
            bs

            <*> Your email settings: