Re: [midatlanticretro] SWTPc 6800 and Teletype Model ASR 33

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
      On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Stan Brewer wrote:

      > Great seeing an ASR 33 again! I used one as a Radio Operator in Southern
      > Turkey in 1977-78. Use to wrap paper tape in a figure 8.

      I just picked up an ASR-33, as well. It's dirty and the spacing belt
      is stretched, but is eminently repairable. My project list is backing up,
      fast!

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
        At 07:27 AM 8/5/2008 -0400, you wrote:
        >On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Stan Brewer wrote:
        >
        > > Great seeing an ASR 33 again! I used one as a Radio Operator in Southern
        > > Turkey in 1977-78. Use to wrap paper tape in a figure 8.
        >
        > I just picked up an ASR-33, as well. It's dirty and the spacing belt
        >is stretched, but is eminently repairable. My project list is backing up,
        >fast!

        Me too:

        I plan to take an entire day off from work later this week to give
        undivided attention to my VCF Exhibit in an effort to catch up a bit. I
        keep allowing myself to get side tracked with other VC projects.

        Bill
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
          On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, B. Degnan wrote:

          > I plan to take an entire day off from work later this week to give
          > undivided attention to my VCF Exhibit in an effort to catch up a bit. I
          > keep allowing myself to get side tracked with other VC projects.

          That's a problem for me, too. If an interesting piece of hardware
          becomes available, I feel obligated to pick it up because one of those
          might never be available again. Then, of course, I have to play with it.
          :-)

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 6, 2008
            My ISP has decided to dispense with its telnet service and shell
            accounts as of the first of next month. Does anyone know of a
            service I can migrate to that will permit me to use these
            now primative systems?
            I'm just outside of Philadelphia.
            bs
          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 6, 2008

              > My ISP has decided to dispense with its telnet service and shell
              > accounts as of the first of next month. Does anyone know of a
              > service I can migrate to that will permit me to use these
              > now primative systems?
              > I'm just outside of Philadelphia.
              > bs

              the internet is becoming a gated community. Shell is vital for managing a UNIX box remotely, but I can see why ISP's are shutting them down. We don't allow them here either, or FTP for that matter. It's a security thing.
            • John Allain
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 6, 2008
                > My ISP has decided to dispense with its telnet service and shell
                > accounts as of the first of next month. Does anyone know of a
                > service I can migrate to that will permit me to use these
                > now primative systems?

                Public Access Networks - Panix
                still has shell.

                http://www.panix.com/shell.html

                > I'm just outside of Philadelphia.

                Over Dial-Up you might have a problem.
                Panix is ~= NYC +/- 50 miles.

                John A.

                Areas' ISP with the most history, AFAIK.
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 8, 2008
                  bs,

                  Take a look at FreeShell.org. I think this is exactly what you are looking for. I have a friend in my local computer club who also wants to do everything via SSH. While you contemplate making a change, consider the wisdom of separating your Internet services from your Internet access. Once you do you can shop for the best deal for Internet access without worrying about how that ISP does email.

                  Jim

                  My ISP has decided to dispense with its telnet service and shell
                  accounts as of the first of next month.  Does anyone know of a
                  service I can migrate to that will permit me to use these
                  now primative systems?
                  I'm just outside of Philadelphia.
                  bs

                  <*> Your email settings: