Re: Progress on 11/20 exhibit

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
      http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

      The page and poster documents were improved with better images of the
      interior boards of the 11/20 and of the front panel. During a visit to
      InfoAge this weekend, I tagged the boxes of the Greenough collection
      and put the rough inventory list as a document into some of the boxes.
      A better picture of all the boxes is also on the Web page. Minor work
      of this sort may continue, I don't anticipate major changes to the
      posters and exhibit.

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com
    • Herb Johnson
        been improved and updated. Major development work is now completed.
        Some work remains.

        The 11/20 Web page at

        http://retrotechnology.com/pdp11/index.html

        ..now has an index, which is followed by the current status of the
        exhibit, before the Introduction. A large portion of inventory
        information has been transferred to another Web page. These changes
        should help in navigation.

        The Virtual Exhibit Web page at:

        http://retrotechnology.com/pdp11/PDP_11_exhibit_1.htm

        ...now includes a Web page with links to the videos for the exhibit.
        This page shows all the content and the rough arrangement of the
        physical exhibit, as images. Posters are shown as equivalent HTML
        documents. Links from the photos go to documents, images and now
        videos. More information is on the 11/20 Web page.

        Since we are now at about 30 days before the MARCH museum and VCF-E
        show, I now consider major development of the 11/20 exhibit CLOSED. No
        major changes will be made. This is a good opportunity to review the
        Virtual exhibit to consider any MINOR changes.

        Remaining work: 1) some DEC books for the exhibit. 2) set up a
        computer to show the videos. 3) a MARCH-owned DEC card for the
        exhibit, if available. 4) a Lexan cover for the 11/20 front panel. 5)
        production of the posters and a full-sized image of the 11/20 boards
        in place. 6) physical work on the exhibit and artifacts, just before
        the show.

        One bit of explanation. Because the 11/20 has its backplane in the top
        of the case, with the boards hanging DOWN, we can't show the interior
        of the system. So I'll ask Evan to print a full-sized photo of the
        cards and THAT will be displayed on TOP of the system.

        Note to Evan: DOC files for the posters and full size images are
        available from another section of my Web site. Check the 11/20 Web
        page "status" section or previous emails from me for links.

        Herb Johnson
        retrotechnology.com
      • Ian King
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 15, 2008
          Well, sorry, I won't be in the area on Sunday.... :-)

          But I did want to ask a question that we were batting around today. We
          were commenting on what sorts of machines you see in people's individual
          collections - for instance, I have a VAX 6000-660, but not an 11/780 in
          large part because the latter machine pretty much requires three-phase
          power. But what we were curious about was: does anyone in the
          hobbyist/collector community have an IBM 360? I knew a guy who was
          proud of his 1401, and I've seen restoration stories about various other
          systems, but not a 360.

          Thoughts? Thanks -- Ian

          On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 21:17 -0400, Evan wrote:
          > I'll be at the museum around noon this Sunday and could use 2 or 3
          > helpers. We are * very close * to being able to set up computers for
          > exhibiting! Just have to move a few more small-ish things. (I know
          > I've been saying that for months, but now it's pretty much true...)

        • Joe Giliberti
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 16, 2008
            Me and possibly Jeff F./Rose should be available tomorrow. What time? 11a?

            Joe

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 16, 2008
              Message
              No, 12.  Better chance of me showing up on time that way!

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008
                http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                As Evan posted, I delivered to MARCH the artifacts for the PDP-11/20
                exhibit. The Sony VAIO & Linux system was delivered, to show the
                videos produced by David Gesswein, who has also loaned MARCH a PDP-11
                card and original paper tape.

                Additionally, today I have received two PDP-11 paperback "handbooks"
                from Paul Popelka. He is a PDP-11 owner who contacted MARCH recently.
                The 1971 PDP-11 Processor Handbook includes the 11/20, that's an
                important edition. The Peripherals Handbook from 1973 is also
                appropriate to the 1970 PDP-11/20 on display. I'll confirm with him
                these are donations, not loans.

                Also placed with the exhibit, was a 1975 DEC "interfaces handbook"
                which was originally donated with other books to MARCH by Joe Giliberti.

                It was common in the 60's and 70's to offer minicomputer documentation
                in paperback form. These two books were essential to programmers and
                designers who used the PDP-11. I'm glad MARCH is able to exhibit
                these. While fragile after almost 40 years, and must be handled with
                care, now they can be read and enjoyed by visitors to the Exhibit.

                Herb Johnson
                retrotechnology.com