Re: Arcnet

  • jack99rubin
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 4 4:46 AM
      > Are any of you guys into Arcnet? During a rescue today, I
      acquired a
      > pile of ISA Arcnet cards, hubs and power supplies. If anyone is
      > interested, drop me a note and I'll let you know exactly what I
      have. I
      > can bring the lot along to VCF East, next month.
      >

      > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

      Mike,

      I'd be interested in a couple active hubs and a card or two. One of
      my (future) projects is getting CP/NET working again. This was a
      Digital Research protocol that ran over ARCnet, so having the
      physical layer stuff will be helpful. My system is S100 based but
      having a PC card will allow an emulator connection as well. Should be
      fun.

      I won't be able to attend VCF this year but hopefully it shouldn't be
      too difficult to either ship a small package or hang on to the stuff
      until I get east later in the year.

      Thanks,
      Jack

      Thanks,
      Jack
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 4 8:34 AM
        http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

        The page and poster documents were improved with better images of the
        interior boards of the 11/20 and of the front panel. During a visit to
        InfoAge this weekend, I tagged the boxes of the Greenough collection
        and put the rough inventory list as a document into some of the boxes.
        A better picture of all the boxes is also on the Web page. Minor work
        of this sort may continue, I don't anticipate major changes to the
        posters and exhibit.

        Herb Johnson
        retrotechnology.com
      • Herb Johnson
          been improved and updated. Major development work is now completed.
          Some work remains.

          The 11/20 Web page at

          http://retrotechnology.com/pdp11/index.html

          ..now has an index, which is followed by the current status of the
          exhibit, before the Introduction. A large portion of inventory
          information has been transferred to another Web page. These changes
          should help in navigation.

          The Virtual Exhibit Web page at:

          http://retrotechnology.com/pdp11/PDP_11_exhibit_1.htm

          ...now includes a Web page with links to the videos for the exhibit.
          This page shows all the content and the rough arrangement of the
          physical exhibit, as images. Posters are shown as equivalent HTML
          documents. Links from the photos go to documents, images and now
          videos. More information is on the 11/20 Web page.

          Since we are now at about 30 days before the MARCH museum and VCF-E
          show, I now consider major development of the 11/20 exhibit CLOSED. No
          major changes will be made. This is a good opportunity to review the
          Virtual exhibit to consider any MINOR changes.

          Remaining work: 1) some DEC books for the exhibit. 2) set up a
          computer to show the videos. 3) a MARCH-owned DEC card for the
          exhibit, if available. 4) a Lexan cover for the 11/20 front panel. 5)
          production of the posters and a full-sized image of the 11/20 boards
          in place. 6) physical work on the exhibit and artifacts, just before
          the show.

          One bit of explanation. Because the 11/20 has its backplane in the top
          of the case, with the boards hanging DOWN, we can't show the interior
          of the system. So I'll ask Evan to print a full-sized photo of the
          cards and THAT will be displayed on TOP of the system.

          Note to Evan: DOC files for the posters and full size images are
          available from another section of my Web site. Check the 11/20 Web
          page "status" section or previous emails from me for links.

          Herb Johnson
          retrotechnology.com
        • Ian King
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 15 11:32 PM
            Well, sorry, I won't be in the area on Sunday.... :-)

            But I did want to ask a question that we were batting around today. We
            were commenting on what sorts of machines you see in people's individual
            collections - for instance, I have a VAX 6000-660, but not an 11/780 in
            large part because the latter machine pretty much requires three-phase
            power. But what we were curious about was: does anyone in the
            hobbyist/collector community have an IBM 360? I knew a guy who was
            proud of his 1401, and I've seen restoration stories about various other
            systems, but not a 360.

            Thoughts? Thanks -- Ian

            On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 21:17 -0400, Evan wrote:
            > I'll be at the museum around noon this Sunday and could use 2 or 3
            > helpers. We are * very close * to being able to set up computers for
            > exhibiting! Just have to move a few more small-ish things. (I know
            > I've been saying that for months, but now it's pretty much true...)

          • Joe Giliberti
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 16 7:24 PM
              Me and possibly Jeff F./Rose should be available tomorrow. What time? 11a?

              Joe

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 16 7:38 PM
                Message
                No, 12.  Better chance of me showing up on time that way!

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 25 11:01 AM
                  http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                  As Evan posted, I delivered to MARCH the artifacts for the PDP-11/20
                  exhibit. The Sony VAIO & Linux system was delivered, to show the
                  videos produced by David Gesswein, who has also loaned MARCH a PDP-11
                  card and original paper tape.

                  Additionally, today I have received two PDP-11 paperback "handbooks"
                  from Paul Popelka. He is a PDP-11 owner who contacted MARCH recently.
                  The 1971 PDP-11 Processor Handbook includes the 11/20, that's an
                  important edition. The Peripherals Handbook from 1973 is also
                  appropriate to the 1970 PDP-11/20 on display. I'll confirm with him
                  these are donations, not loans.

                  Also placed with the exhibit, was a 1975 DEC "interfaces handbook"
                  which was originally donated with other books to MARCH by Joe Giliberti.

                  It was common in the 60's and 70's to offer minicomputer documentation
                  in paperback form. These two books were essential to programmers and
                  designers who used the PDP-11. I'm glad MARCH is able to exhibit
                  these. While fragile after almost 40 years, and must be handled with
                  care, now they can be read and enjoyed by visitors to the Exhibit.

                  Herb Johnson
                  retrotechnology.com