Re: [midatlanticretro] Arcnet

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 3, 2008
      On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Mike Loewen wrote:

      > Are any of you guys into Arcnet? During a rescue today, I acquired a
      > pile of ISA Arcnet cards, hubs and power supplies. If anyone is
      > interested, drop me a note and I'll let you know exactly what I have. I
      > can bring the lot along to VCF East, next month.

      So, no interest in the ARCNET stuff? Next step is to offer to the
      Classic Computers list. Here's what I have:

      Manuals:

      Tiara Lancard/A * PC
      ARCNET User's Manual for CN008AH and CN008TH
      Configuration Guide for the SMC ARCNET-PC130 Network Controller
      Board
      CNet 120A ARCNET User's Manual (qty 4)

      Diskette: ARCNET 5.25" MEGA Diskette #75-00790-3000

      Cards (8-bit ISA):

      SMC ARCNET-PC130 (qty 5)
      Tiara Lancard/A * PC (qty 12)
      CNet ARCNET 120A (qty 1)

      Active Hubs:

      Addtron ARCNET Active Hub, 8-port, ARC800ST (qty 5)
      CNet Arcnet HUB 008AH, 8-port (qty 2)
      (The Addtron and CNet hubs have an internal power supply and take
      a standard power cord)
      Tiara ARCNET LanHub, 8-port (qty 2), Power Supplies (qty 3)
      SMC ARCNET Active Hub, 8-port (qty 15), Power Supplies (qty 9)

      Cables: RG-62A/U (qty 5)

      Again, if anyone has any use for this stuff, I can bring it to VCF
      East. If not, I'll offer it to the CCtalk list.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • jack99rubin
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
        > Are any of you guys into Arcnet? During a rescue today, I
        acquired a
        > pile of ISA Arcnet cards, hubs and power supplies. If anyone is
        > interested, drop me a note and I'll let you know exactly what I
        have. I
        > can bring the lot along to VCF East, next month.
        >

        > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

        Mike,

        I'd be interested in a couple active hubs and a card or two. One of
        my (future) projects is getting CP/NET working again. This was a
        Digital Research protocol that ran over ARCnet, so having the
        physical layer stuff will be helpful. My system is S100 based but
        having a PC card will allow an emulator connection as well. Should be
        fun.

        I won't be able to attend VCF this year but hopefully it shouldn't be
        too difficult to either ship a small package or hang on to the stuff
        until I get east later in the year.

        Thanks,
        Jack

        Thanks,
        Jack
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
          http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

          The page and poster documents were improved with better images of the
          interior boards of the 11/20 and of the front panel. During a visit to
          InfoAge this weekend, I tagged the boxes of the Greenough collection
          and put the rough inventory list as a document into some of the boxes.
          A better picture of all the boxes is also on the Web page. Minor work
          of this sort may continue, I don't anticipate major changes to the
          posters and exhibit.

          Herb Johnson
          retrotechnology.com
        • Herb Johnson
            been improved and updated. Major development work is now completed.
            Some work remains.

            The 11/20 Web page at

            http://retrotechnology.com/pdp11/index.html

            ..now has an index, which is followed by the current status of the
            exhibit, before the Introduction. A large portion of inventory
            information has been transferred to another Web page. These changes
            should help in navigation.

            The Virtual Exhibit Web page at:

            http://retrotechnology.com/pdp11/PDP_11_exhibit_1.htm

            ...now includes a Web page with links to the videos for the exhibit.
            This page shows all the content and the rough arrangement of the
            physical exhibit, as images. Posters are shown as equivalent HTML
            documents. Links from the photos go to documents, images and now
            videos. More information is on the 11/20 Web page.

            Since we are now at about 30 days before the MARCH museum and VCF-E
            show, I now consider major development of the 11/20 exhibit CLOSED. No
            major changes will be made. This is a good opportunity to review the
            Virtual exhibit to consider any MINOR changes.

            Remaining work: 1) some DEC books for the exhibit. 2) set up a
            computer to show the videos. 3) a MARCH-owned DEC card for the
            exhibit, if available. 4) a Lexan cover for the 11/20 front panel. 5)
            production of the posters and a full-sized image of the 11/20 boards
            in place. 6) physical work on the exhibit and artifacts, just before
            the show.

            One bit of explanation. Because the 11/20 has its backplane in the top
            of the case, with the boards hanging DOWN, we can't show the interior
            of the system. So I'll ask Evan to print a full-sized photo of the
            cards and THAT will be displayed on TOP of the system.

            Note to Evan: DOC files for the posters and full size images are
            available from another section of my Web site. Check the 11/20 Web
            page "status" section or previous emails from me for links.

            Herb Johnson
            retrotechnology.com
          • Ian King
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 15, 2008
              Well, sorry, I won't be in the area on Sunday.... :-)

              But I did want to ask a question that we were batting around today. We
              were commenting on what sorts of machines you see in people's individual
              collections - for instance, I have a VAX 6000-660, but not an 11/780 in
              large part because the latter machine pretty much requires three-phase
              power. But what we were curious about was: does anyone in the
              hobbyist/collector community have an IBM 360? I knew a guy who was
              proud of his 1401, and I've seen restoration stories about various other
              systems, but not a 360.

              Thoughts? Thanks -- Ian

              On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 21:17 -0400, Evan wrote:
              > I'll be at the museum around noon this Sunday and could use 2 or 3
              > helpers. We are * very close * to being able to set up computers for
              > exhibiting! Just have to move a few more small-ish things. (I know
              > I've been saying that for months, but now it's pretty much true...)

            • Joe Giliberti
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 16, 2008
                Me and possibly Jeff F./Rose should be available tomorrow. What time? 11a?

                Joe

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 16, 2008
                  Message
                  No, 12.  Better chance of me showing up on time that way!

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008
                    http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                    As Evan posted, I delivered to MARCH the artifacts for the PDP-11/20
                    exhibit. The Sony VAIO & Linux system was delivered, to show the
                    videos produced by David Gesswein, who has also loaned MARCH a PDP-11
                    card and original paper tape.

                    Additionally, today I have received two PDP-11 paperback "handbooks"
                    from Paul Popelka. He is a PDP-11 owner who contacted MARCH recently.
                    The 1971 PDP-11 Processor Handbook includes the 11/20, that's an
                    important edition. The Peripherals Handbook from 1973 is also
                    appropriate to the 1970 PDP-11/20 on display. I'll confirm with him
                    these are donations, not loans.

                    Also placed with the exhibit, was a 1975 DEC "interfaces handbook"
                    which was originally donated with other books to MARCH by Joe Giliberti.

                    It was common in the 60's and 70's to offer minicomputer documentation
                    in paperback form. These two books were essential to programmers and
                    designers who used the PDP-11. I'm glad MARCH is able to exhibit
                    these. While fragile after almost 40 years, and must be handled with
                    care, now they can be read and enjoyed by visitors to the Exhibit.

                    Herb Johnson
                    retrotechnology.com